Why forever?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
revnice

Why forever?

Post by revnice » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:50 am

Hi all:

I've been on the CPAP about 7 years and what I want to know is why it's 'forever' ?

There was a time I didn't have apnea and didn't need a pump - what changed?

And now that it's changed, why can't it be changed back again?

If it's increased weight, I can lose it, if it's diet, I can change it, if it's an airway that's changed due to aging, what about surgery?

Thanks - rev

Scarlet834

Re: Why forever?

Post by Scarlet834 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:07 am

If a person can physically alter the reason for airway closure I suppose it might be possible to eliminate the apnea. However, from what I've read the results of surgery vary, sometimes only improving but not eliminating the whole problem (in which case you're still on CPAP). In my case I suspect it's aging and sagging tissue that explains my getting daytime symptoms starting 3-4 years ago. I'm finding CPAP much less of an issue than I first expected, and I'm more than happy to do this for life

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:12 am

Scarlet834 wrote:If a person can physically alter the reason for airway closure I suppose it might be possible to eliminate the apnea. However, from what I've read the results of surgery vary, sometimes only improving but not eliminating the whole problem (in which case you're still on CPAP). In my case I suspect it's aging and sagging tissue that explains my getting daytime symptoms starting 3-4 years ago. I'm finding CPAP much less of an issue than I first expected, and I'm more than happy to do this for life

I am in agreement with scarlet. My understanding is...things sag on the outside of our bodies...and they sag on the inside too.

I also agree with her about being happy to do this for life...because so far, my quality of life is much better than it was last April when this whole thing finally caught up with me.

It is my belief that acceptance is what's needed. Good luck to you!

"Knowledge is power."

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:18 am

It isn't "forever"! Just for the rest of your life.

It's your choice how long you keep it up...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:10 pm

However, if you can lose weight as you say, and think you should, then do it - it can make a big difference to how your overall Cpap experience goes (even a 5 lb. gain or loss and I'm aware of the difference), plus if you should be the one in a million (and that maybe optimistic) that really loses and then after a new sleep study finds they no longer have apnea, wouldn't that be terrific? Surgery unfortunately hasn't seem to help much (other people - never tried it) except in the short term.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:15 pm

revnice wrote:I've been on the CPAP about 7 years and what I want to know is why it's 'forever' ?

what about surgery?
Hi,

There is a quick and easy surgery that is very effective in treating OSA -- tracheotomy. It will eliminate the need for using a CPAP machine. There are some issues with caring for a trache long term, just like there are for CPAP, but some people do pick the trache option. For some folks, it is the only option.

-john-

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:47 pm

revnice wrote:Hi all:

I've been on the CPAP about 7 years and what I want to know is why it's 'forever' ?

There was a time I didn't have apnea and didn't need a pump - what changed?

And now that it's changed, why can't it be changed back again?

If it's increased weight, I can lose it, if it's diet, I can change it, if it's an airway that's changed due to aging, what about surgery?

Thanks - rev
So I guess the question(s) - after 7 yrs is - why haven't you done something about it? Or what have you done about it? Has doing nothing made a difference?

ps. I am just thankful it can be treated.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:30 pm

Sounds like you are where many of us were - already been on cpap a while before finding this site, and reading here both answers questions and generates more questions. There are those who never had sleep apnea before they gained weight; they are the best candidates for weight loss to relieve it. It complicates matters when the weight gain was a result of the sleep apnea rather than the cause. Many have sleep apnea for years before getting worn down enough to seek a diagnosis for their symptoms. Since losing excess weight is a healthy thing to do, one can always do that then be retested to see if they are one of the lucky ones. If most people need cpap for the rest of their lives, someone has to make up the remainder, right?

mdintx

Post by mdintx » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:56 pm

Who knows what the future will bring. For now, I just focus on accepting the fact that I have to ride the hose. That's just the way it is...

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:45 pm

There's no such thing as forever. We all get one day at a time...period.

JeffH

deadhead77

Post by deadhead77 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:31 am

I had a stent fitted earlier this year for a closed artery near my heart. I have wondered lately if this procedure could be modified and adapted to keep airways open or supported.

Has anything along this line of thinking been discussed or attempted? I could always see the stent, working for heart disease as essentially a plumbing fix and likewise I wonder if an air conditioning approach could add anything to osa relief?
DON'T!wake me up before you go go

blarg

Post by blarg » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:29 am

If you're not happy with your current treatment, then I'd suggest you see an ENT or your sleep doctor to see if they can suggest any procedures or other treatments that might be a better fit for you.

You may find that you're able to stop using the CPAP using another treatment or combination of treatments, but just confirm that it's actually treating your condition with a follow up sleep study.
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:04 am

Call me crazy but I was almost grateful for the diagnosis and that there was successful treatment for it. I was sure I was going to hear that nothing could be done for my husband's symptoms and that he was slowly dying. Of course I also had to keep repeating to myself many times over when we first saw and heard the equipment, "it's only air, it's only air".

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:08 am

There are far worse things some people have to deal with than using a cpap every night for the rest of their lives!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:47 am

DoriC wrote:Call me crazy but I was almost grateful for the diagnosis and that there was successful treatment for it. I was sure I was going to hear that nothing could be done for my husband's symptoms and that he was slowly dying. Of course I also had to keep repeating to myself many times over when we first saw and heard the equipment, "it's only air, it's only air".
Dori...I just like you so much! you are right on the money! It IS only air! that's what i tell myself when i catch a pity party heading my way. your husband is lucky to have you!

"Knowledge is power."