why Distilled water?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RedBackFur

Re: why Distilled water?

Post by RedBackFur » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Honestly, I use distilled water in my humidifier because I am not sure what the chloramine in the Bay Area water might do to my lungs when forced down there all night, however, I do see a bit of a white film that forms at the bottom of the tank. Perhaps it is what I exhale that may be showing up as sediment as my breath must go through the tubing, humidifier and APAP as well.

Lovely thought, right?

chester11

Post by chester11 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:43 am

Minerals in tap water may increase the development of crusty deposits, or scale, in humidifiers. Scale can be a breeding ground for microorganisms. Tap water does have a greater chance of having living bacteria in it, specially well water. Something about breathing in living bacteria and other microorganisms is a good reason to use distilled water for me.

El Pap

Post by El Pap » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:37 pm

david.thistlethwaite wrote: I have been using distilled water but at the end of 2 months of usage I have calciifation on the bottom of the humidifier tank.

I mean if they cheap out on making distilled water what won't they skimp on ?

David
Are you certain you bought distilled water, not purified drinking water? On my previous machine, I used my original F&P water tank for something like 8 years (until it accidentally got crushed in my luggage) and it had absolutely no evidence of minerals.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:52 pm

chester11 wrote:Tap water does have a greater chance of having living bacteria in it, specially well water. Something about breathing in living bacteria and other microorganisms is a good reason to use distilled water for me.
If it makes you FEEL safer, by all means use it. The fact is that the water you are breathing in is vaporized. Any organisms, minerals or impurities in the water will stay in the tank--with the possible exception of gases trapped in the water. That would most notably be chlorine, which you breathe and ingest 24/7 anyway.

There is bacteria present in virtually EVERY breath of air you take throughout the day. AND in the air pumped thru your CPAP. Not even the "white" filter will catch bacteria. As long as it's clean enough to drink, your choice of water won't add to or subtract from that.

Reducing scale is a valid reason to use distilled. And, if you value a false sense of security, distilled certainly won't harm you.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

bipapwife

Post by bipapwife » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:47 pm

We have a high-quality water filter/softener. It still left slimy deposits in the water reservor. When we use distilled....problem sloved!

Really

Post by Really » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:12 pm

bipapwife wrote:We have a high-quality water filter/softener. It still left slimy deposits in the water reservor. When we use distilled....problem sloved!
Imagine that

an easy fix.
You Can't Fix Stupid Really

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:42 pm

RedBackFur wrote: ...my breath must go through the tubing, humidifier and APAP as well.

Lovely thought, right?
Er, I hope not. Your mask should be purging your exhalation out of the venting arrangement, NOT through the machine.

T
The old six shooter was as popular as the cellphone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the theater!

deadhead77

Post by deadhead77 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:08 am

I wonder what would happen if you filled it up with whiskey or beer ...

osa?? Oblivious sleep alcoholycow!
DON'T!wake me up before you go go

RedBackFur

Post by RedBackFur » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:52 am

Terminator wrote:
RedBackFur wrote: ...my breath must go through the tubing, humidifier and APAP as well.

Lovely thought, right?
Er, I hope not. Your mask should be purging your exhalation out of the venting arrangement, NOT through the machine.

T
I find it hard to believe that 100% of my exhaled breath goes through that tiny vent. If that were true, how would the EPR detect my breathing, as well?

kopoloff

Post by kopoloff » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:03 am

I find it hard to believe that 100% of my exhaled breath goes through that tiny vent. If that were true, how would the EPR detect my breathing, as well?
Start believing.

The machine senses pressure differentials, so when you exhale it senses an increase in back pressure. Remember that EPR only reduces the back pressure, it doesn't stop flow. Therefore the only place for your exhaled air to go is out the vent.

K