Can one use clorox disinfecting wipes to clean mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rickskids

Can one use clorox disinfecting wipes to clean mask?

Post by rickskids » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:41 pm

They seem not to be to strong but a tad bit more than regular baby wipes. Any thoughts?

amos

Re: Can one use clorox disinfecting wipes to clean mask?

Post by amos » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:17 pm

I have used them every evening for the past several years with good success.

amos

rickskids

Post by rickskids » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks for the input. I was afraid to ruin my mask.

karessamom

Post by karessamom » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:26 pm

OH wow! I thought you weren't supposed to use anything like that because it deteriorates the silicone--I'll have to try it--that would be so much less expensive than the cpap wipes. how about the Lysol wipes??

Autopapdude

Post by Autopapdude » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:45 pm

I would NOT use them long term, as yes, they can deteriorate the silicone. But for an occasional fast wipe, it is acceptable. Long term it will cloud (break down) the rigidity of the silicone.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:28 pm

In addition to possible damage to the silicone and other soft plastics, I would be concerned about the long term nightly exposure of my face to the chemicals used in the wipes.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:09 pm

I would be afraid of the lingering vapors and inhaling them all night.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:44 am

I think it's an old wives' tale that masks are harmed by bleach. While some types of plastics are affected by extended exposure to sodium hypochlorite (bleach), many items for pool maintenance are made of silicone BECAUSE of its resistance to chlorine compounds.

I know we hear cautions against using bleach all the time, but I've yet to see anything authoritative that it harms the seal material.

And, unless you are super-sensitive to the aroma, it doesn't last long enough to be a problem (in my experience). As was said, some of us use them all the time with no apparent harm to equipment or health. I much prefer the faint smell of bleach to the overpowering citrus in CPAP wipes. YMMV.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:03 pm

Absolutely! And you should also wash your face with them, and your baby's bottom.

Get a grip, folks. Any thing you wipe on your cpap mask is going GRIND INTO YOUR FACE FOR 8 HOURS OR MORE A NIGHT.

I don't know about you, but Clorox isn't the facial regime that I'm looking for.

You're clearly sleep deprived, or your wouldn't have asked this.

There are wipes specifically made for CPAP masks. You can get them at CPAP.com. Many of us have found you can tear them into smaller sheets and only use what you need, to be more economical with them.

Good luck,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

pitrow

Post by pitrow » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:39 pm

OMG! THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:47 pm

I took a CPR class once a few years ago. At the time, they had switched from using alcohol wipes to a mild Clorox solution to wipe Annie's mouth. I was first that night to have a go at Annie. I immediately went into an asthma attack due to the bleach.

I know I don't want to experience that again if at all possible. I try to steer away from any known substance that will trigger an attack in me.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

rickskids

Post by rickskids » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:04 pm

I do clean my face with them! My hands too! In Iraq those and baby wipes were or are a hot commotitty. On my first tour (Desert Storm) my mom used to send me flea collars that i would wear around my ankles and wrists, thats now discourged. Look at the active ingridients on the clorox wipes and you'll be suprised how dilluted they actually are. I asked not because I'm sleep deprived but because I'm cheap! At Cosco you can get over 500 sheets for less than the price of 50 CPAP wipes.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:41 pm

In order for clorox disinfecting wipes to effectively disinfect surfaces, the surface must be "visibly wet for 4 minutes". The active ingredients in clorox disinfecting wipes are Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride and Dimethyl Ethylbenzyl Ammonium Chloride, aka "quaternary ammonium chloride compounds".

Here are a couple of links that show that silicone tubing has "Good" resistance to sodium hypochlorite (chlorine bleach). These sites show information for platinum and peroxide cured silicone; there are other curing agents that can be used, and that may affect the material's resistance to bleach.

http://www.davis.com/techinfo/mflexchem ... ?case=chem
http://www.masterflex.com/techinfo/mflexchem.asp

oneforlife

Post by oneforlife » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Who really cares about the health of the silicone or CPAP machine....the human body is what it's all about. I wouldn't use clorox or any sort of toxin on something I breathe for 8 hours!!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:33 pm

Breathing chlorine fumes all night?
Sounds about as pleasant as rubbing Vicks in my eyes.
Not a good idea, IMHO.