POLL - What type of mask do you use?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Which type of mask/delivery system do you use?

Full Face Mask
32%
Total Face
1%
Nasal
14%
Nasal Pillow
46%
Nasal Prong
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 143

Sleeprider

Re: POLL - What type of mask do you use?

Post by Sleeprider » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:54 pm

I use the Swift LT nasal pillows. Apria sends me a new one ever 6-months, so I actually have 3 of them now.

I have never needed a FFM up to now. If I'm mildly congested, the nasal pillows open things up just fine, but in truth I haven't been sick since starting CPAP 2 years ago.

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Severe claustrophobia here...even the idea of a traditional FFM give me the shudders
I also have claustrophobia. I rejected being tested for sleep apnea because the thought of a mask on my face prevented me from seeking treatment. Well, my son talked me into it, and I had to choose between a nasal mask and a ffm for my titration. I thought the ffm would be the worse of two evils. I used the nasal mask for over a year, and often had difficulty breathing through my nose. I used nasal sprays every night to open the nasal passages or else I could not get sufficient air. A few months ago I purchased a ffm, just to have it in case I had a cold, flu, etc. One night I gave it a try, loved it. Every Sunday I download the data from my smartcard and was shocked to see a near perfect leak rate. I am a mouth breather and the nasal mask required taping to improve the leak rate, but the ffm was great. Perhaps using the nasal mask for all that time conditioned me so that the ffm would not cause claustrophobia.

Bill
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:01 am

Bill,
Great to hear you were able to come to terms with your CPAP and went ahead with the FF mask even though you had the clastrophobia. This is a wonderful story, and I hope those newbie CPAPpers out there can take a lesson here.

You do what you gotta do. Mouth breathers who can't deal with chinstraps find a way to deal with FF. Start out with using while watching TV, whatever. It's a real challenge. But those of us CPAPpers are a rough bunch and if we're committed we find a way.

I'm still in the bait and switch game with masks, and am using the Activa, as most nights I don't mouth breathe and I get a reasonable leakage rate with it. I haven't been able to get the Liberty Hybrid to work on a consistent basis without leakage even with trying some of the tricks mentioned here. The Fit Life is the biggest FF I've ever seen. But that one caused me a chin issue. Nose bridge probs with Quattro and Comfort Gel FF.

I would hope that those who complain of claustrophia, and "settle" on a pillow or nasal, are not mouth breathers and don't need the FF anyway.

However, I've got a friend with OSA who complains of claustrophobia and insists she can't tolerate it, so she gave up on CPAP. Now that's a real shame. So I'm really glad to hear that you were able to come to terms with your OSA and give the FF a try.

Anyway, my point (aside: do I have a point, oh yeah, I think I do), is that if one is trully committed to CPAP then one finds a way to make it work, knowing that CPAP is a journey, and that there are bumps along the road.

JPO

Post by JPO » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:28 am

I have been using a OptiLife but my mouth breathing has worn me out. I just started with a Hybrid two nights ago and it worked pretty good all night last night. I was just put on an oxygen machine and it burps and rumbles and wakes me up so I will probably put it in a closet. Monday I am getting a Liberty to see if it is better. The Hybrid could wind up being a life saver for me since it covers my mouth without leaking, which has been impossible for me with full face masks.

JPO

ufo13

Post by ufo13 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:11 am

I tried ALL types now and again but ALWAYS come back to Swift Pillows, now the LT! It has been for me the most comfortable, lightest, leak free mask of all and have used them since the Swift 1!

All the best!

Steve,
ufo13

Autopapdude

Post by Autopapdude » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:36 pm

I tried ALL types now and again but ALWAYS come back to Swift Pillows, now the LT! It has been for me the most comfortable, lightest, leak free mask of all and have used them since the Swift 1!

All the best!
I think a lot depends on your pressure and your need for a tight seal. Also, if you're a mouth breather, a full mask or chinstrap is the only way to go. My preference ( average pressure 8cm) is a nasal pillow. But, I am not a mouth breather, nor do I have a 20CM setting. Also, I get a good seal with the nasal pillows.

FatNeck72

Post by FatNeck72 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:26 pm

I'm a nose breather when I'm awake... but I'm a nose and mouth breather when I sleep, so I had to go with the full face mask. I started out on a nasal mask the first month of CPAP therapy and it didn't work. I used a Resmed Quattro full face mask for years... and it worked well with my old Respironics CPAP. Now I use the Resmed Airfit F10 full face mask with Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP. This combo works great for me.

cakeator
Location: The City that never sleeps, because we all have apnea

Post by cakeator » Fri May 06, 2016 2:47 pm

When I started I had a beard so I tried the nasal pillow but even with the chin strap the midnight mouth breathing got the better of me. The Resmed Mirrage Quattro was leaking and killing the bridge of my nose and the Amara View was also leaking and and made my nose look like Rudolph. In a fit of desperation I shaved off the beard and still had leaks. So I scheduled a block of time with the tech at my sleep doctors and found the F&P Simplus FFM. It has been treating me well and both comfort and effectiveness. I did so much reading on masks for mouth breathing types and masks with facial hair but our mugs are quite unique so even with all the help it can be a challenge to find what works for you. The best thing I did was work with a knowledgeable tech that strapped me in to a bunch of masks and cranked the pressure until we found one that worked. Good luck finding what works best for you.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Sat May 07, 2016 12:09 pm

I have to use a FFM but I've considered getting a hybrid at some point in the future - now that I'm back with my DME and have insurance coverage I'll be trying some new masks in a few months.

I think the doctor's assumption that every one uses FFM's all the time is shockingly narrow minded and ignorant. The fact that there at least 7 different categories of mask on the market and that these masks sell in numbers sufficient to keep them being made and sold should tell the doctor that he's wrong. We're all different so I would get with a good sleep tech who's willing to sit with you and keep trying masks till you find what works for you.

The mask can be one of the most important parts of therapy. It's the interface that connects you to the machine. If it's not working as well as it can it's going to throw everything off. You want the best mask for you that you can get.

I wish you luck with getting something that works. Don't let any one pressure you in to settling for something that isn't for you. Keep trying, there is a mask out there that should work. Some of us are lucky and find it right away and some of us it takes many many masks and time till we find what works.