Allergies & CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
teresamichele

Allergies & CPAP

Post by teresamichele » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:08 am

I have allergies somewhat badly and a few times a year I get bronchitis. It just seems to happen - drainage ends up in my lungs and I cough until it's gone. I use a steroid nose spray but it can only do so much.

This is the first time this has happened since I had my CPAP and it seems worse than normal. My lungs feel full, it hurts to cough (my lungs feel dry, which doesn't help) and I don't know if I should increase the humidity on my machine or if I should lower it or what.

I feel okay other than this - a bit of a headache and a bit tired, but I don't feel awful. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my lungs to stop feeling like they're filled with glue?

"If you weren't trying for it yesterday, why should you have it today?" - Dave Barnes

harry33

Re: Allergies & CPAP

Post by harry33 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:03 pm

I thought broncitis was an infrection and so different from allergies, nasal mucus is helped by using a netti pot, also google nasal and sinus irrigation
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

Irene P.

Post by Irene P. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Sorry you're having so much trouble.

I would up the humidity. It helps to keep things from drying up and causing more severe problems.

Mucinex (in any otc pharmacy dept.) really helps with the stuff in the lungs.

Just sharing my experiences. I'm not a medical professional.

fsmitty

Post by fsmitty » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:33 pm

I am also suffering froma chest cold. It must be the time of year as a friends had hers turn into Bronchitis. Luckily for me I put myself on Mucinex, although expensive, does work. Also, I would recommend that you flush your sinuses each night with either a Neti pot or saline rinse of some type. Also, when I get home at night, I will drink several cups of herbal tea which helps with the cough. Wish you a speedy recovery.

teresamichele

Post by teresamichele » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Harry - Bronchitis is viral about 90% of the time.

Irene - I tried some Robitussin (has the same stuff as Mucinex) and it helped, but I think upping the humidity helped a lot too. I'm coughing on my own now and it's uncomfortable, but I don't feel like my lungs are trying to escape via my mouth anymore!

fsmitty - I'll have to get a Neti pot - I keep hearing about it but I never have tried it. I'll give it a go the next time I'm at Walgreens - I know they sell them!

"If you weren't trying for it yesterday, why should you have it today?" - Dave Barnes

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:53 pm

teresamichele wrote:I think upping the humidity helped a lot too. I'm coughing on my own now and it's uncomfortable, but I don't feel like my lungs are trying to escape via my mouth anymore!
Remember when we were kids and our Granny would make steam tents? Or at least mine did.
Ever see a kid in a croup tent? Moisturized air has been used for various upper respiratory problems for many years. There are several reasons for it and one being that the extra moisture helps the little cilia in the lungs work better to clean out the lungs. So added humidity in any form is a benefit. Also a little thing that we often forget.
Drink lots of water.. It will also help hydrate the inside of the lungs and well hydrated lung tissue will work better and get better sooner. I am the worst thing about hydration myself but I can preach it pretty good.

So if allergies have made lungs irritated. Hydration in any form is better.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.