Mask question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
karessamom

Mask question

Post by karessamom » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:19 am

I got a new hybrid mask the other day, when they fitted it I really felt the air going down my nose, however now as i'm using it, I don't feel that anymore--is that normal or should I be feeling the pressure of air in nose?? I originally thought i was going to have to use the EPR on this mask because I felt like I was breathing against a tornado--however now it's only like that for a few seconds and then i don't feel anything--that's why i was wondering if I somehow tweek the cushions against the side of my nose or something so they're cut off?? My numbers seem to be good and my leak rate isn't bad--.04 if this is all normal i think i'm likeing and sleeping better with this mask than the UMFF-- Thanks

briank

Re: Mask question

Post by briank » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:46 am

There is definitely more of a "rush" feeling initially when switching from nasal to nasal pillows that I believe most people get used to pretty quickly. (Similar to eliminating or significantly reducing the ramp after some experience with therapy.)

Is it also possible that they didn't have a good seal when you were being fitted and that you were feeling a leak, causing it to seem like a lot of extra pressure?

Unlike my Swift LT, my Hybrid pillows often take some fiddling to seat properly and seal well.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:21 pm

I don't notice any sense of air whooshing thru my nose. I did in the beginning with my nasal pillow mask, then as I started getting restful sleep I put the mask on, hit 'on,' and was asleep within 5 mins (my ramp setting at the time). So, I think getting used to the feeing of a pillow mask has come quickly to you. Even better will be when you don't notice the air at all and start putting your hand in front of the air vent to confirm the xPAP is running...true adjustment to CPAP therapy .

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi,

I don't feel the air moving at all with my nasal pillow mask. I don't see a need to use the ramp any more as a result. The only way I know it is working is the sound of the machine, hearing the air rushing out the exhale port, and the tiny bit of movement of the mask when I inhale due to the higher BiPAP pressure causing the pillow to inflate a bit.

-john-

blarg

Post by blarg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:28 am

I guess my advice would be that if you are sure the pillows aren't blocked and you don't feel the swoosh, then you're just used to it.
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

karessamom

Post by karessamom » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks all for your respones! I am doing pretty good with this mask and my nose and forehead are of course healing. I seem to be sleeping better whether that's due to the mask, the melatonin or both i can't say.