Power outage and CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
teresamichele

Power outage and CPAP

Post by teresamichele » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:06 pm

I'm going to be buying a battery here shortly for my S8, but until then...what will happen if I'm using it and the power goes out?

I ask because we've been having a lot of thunderstorms where I live and I'd love to know that if the power goes off I won't suffocate due to wearing a full face mask.

Can someone put my mind at rest?

"If you weren't trying for it yesterday, why should you have it today?" - Dave Barnes

Julie

Re: Power outage and CPAP

Post by Julie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:11 pm

Yes. It is physically impossible to just suffocate because of a mask. Your body will wake you up in time (and we've mostly all been there).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:15 pm

I had a power outage about a month into the machine. I woke up. Was not a big deal. No major suffocation symptoms. More like "oh, the machine isn't blowing".

We are having major thunderstorms tonight. I will be surprised if we don't have an outage.

I do believe that the full face masks have some sort of vent that acts as a safety valve. I use the nasal pillows so I can't tell you how it works though.

Some people have those power outage alarms that plug into the socket and when power goes off there is an audible alarm to wake you up. I haven't got one yet.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:20 pm

It's called an anti asphixation valve on some masks and the vents that are already there.

teresamichele

Post by teresamichele » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks all!

Pugsy - you're probably getting the storms I'm getting. I'm in St. Louis.

"If you weren't trying for it yesterday, why should you have it today?" - Dave Barnes

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 pm

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/relian ... light.html

This little appliance gives me peace of mind that the alarm will wake me so I can know what's happening with my hubby. I know others have said he'll wake on his own.....but?? A few months ago there was a short electrical blip and the alarm did go off and did wake me so I know it works. Well worth it.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:00 pm

teresamichele wrote: Pugsy - you're probably getting the storms I'm getting. I'm in St. Louis.

Yep, looks like it will be a fun night. Outside dogs are out of valium and so am I... Have to bring them in and then the little hellion barks every time it thunders. Doubt if I will get much sleep tonight.
I am down outside of Springfield. At least not in Arkansas where there are tornado warnings.
Oh well, such is life in the Ozarks in tornado alley.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mhurley3

Post by mhurley3 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:27 pm

Had a big storm go through two nights ago. For the first time since I started CPAP therapy nearly a year ago the power went out (2 AM) and it stayed out for four hours. I woke up because the machine wasn't running and the air wasn't blowing. No big deal, no gasping or anything. Then I couldn't (or wouldn't) get back to sleep, afraid of having apnea events. Felt terribly tired the next day. I wonder if this means I am becoming totally dependent on CPAP?

letchworth

Post by letchworth » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Several weeks back I woke up wondering why it was hard to breath- power outage (by then the power was back on, probably only out a few minutes by the clocks-- but what bothered me most was that the machine hadn't started automatically, even thought the power was back on).

In the morning I started combing the local WalMart for a power-outage alarm- no one knew what I was talking about. Then off to a "real" hardware store-- found one but only a light (no alarm). I knew an alarm would wake up my wife, but not so sure about an automatic flashlight. So, back to cpap.com and found one for less than $20- ordered it and it arrived a couple days later. Now I take it with me when I travel or use it at home (just hope I don't leave it at a hotel sometime).
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/relian ... light.html

It is not the same thing as a battery backup-- but does buy me some peace of mind (& a piece of peace of mind for under $20 is a good thing).

Sleep well, my friends
letchworth

Bigburd2008

Post by Bigburd2008 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:43 am

For me when power used to go out I was up and out of bed immediately, sitting in livingroom chair until it came back on. Now I have a system with battery back-up. Plugged into both at same time. House power out and it switches to battery immediately. House power back on and it switches back. Battery will not power humidifier.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain.

letchworth

Post by letchworth » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:54 am

Bigburd2008 wrote:For me when power used to go out I was up and out of bed immediately, sitting in livingroom chair until it came back on. Now I have a system with battery back-up. Plugged into both at same time. House power out and it switches to battery immediately. House power back on and it switches back. Battery will not power humidifier.
I'm not sure I quite understand?? When you say the machine switches to battery power automatically (but not the humidifier) do you mean that the machine continues, but turns off the humidifier automatically & continue in bypass mode--- or do you wake up and turn off the humidifier manually so the battery can do its thing??

letchworth

Bigburd2008

Post by Bigburd2008 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:05 am

letchworth wrote:
Bigburd2008 wrote:For me when power used to go out I was up and out of bed immediately, sitting in livingroom chair until it came back on. Now I have a system with battery back-up. Plugged into both at same time. House power out and it switches to battery immediately. House power back on and it switches back. Battery will not power humidifier.
I'm not sure I quite understand?? When you say the machine switches to battery power automatically (but not the humidifier) do you mean that the machine continues, but turns off the humidifier automatically & continue in bypass mode--- or do you wake up and turn off the humidifier manually so the battery can do its thing??

letchworth
The system does the switching automated. As long as I have my backup battery plugged in I do nothing. Also the way I understand it is the humidifier uses a lot of energy, no problem on house current. When it goes 12v the humidifier circuit is not energised. You will still have passover humidification, not heated.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain.

potholerepairman

Post by potholerepairman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:50 am

" Explanation: The S8 Series II device is intended to be used with special masks (orconnectors)* which have vent holes to allow continuous flow of air out of the mask.When the device is turned on and functioning properly, new air from the deviceflushes the exhaled air out through the mask vent holes. However, when the deviceis not operating, insufficient fresh air will be provided through the mask, and theexhaled air may be rebreathed. Rebreathing of exhaled air for longer than severalminutes can, in some circumstances, lead to suffocation. This applies to mostmodels of CPAP devices"

This is in the warnings and cautions section in the user guide for the autoset 11 and had me scared for sure the first time my eyes saw it.Thankfully it wasn't believed cause of reading lots of post on here about that not being true.Is this Resmeds way to reduce liability? As a rookie reading suffocation and insufficent air was concerning the first time around.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:40 am

Bigburd.....

I'm curious about your "power switcher". Is this something you fabricated, or is it a system that you purchased?

I like the idea of having my battery backup ready to go at all times....and the "switching circuit" is the only part I don't now have.

Please let us know.

Gerald

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:43 am

potholerepairman wrote:" Explanation: The S8 Series...
This was really scary when I read it. Then I totally freaked when after repeated assurances I do not wake up right away when the power goes out...I slept for over an hr re-breathing until my strangled gasping for air thru the exhale vent of my pillow mask woke me up. I never opened my mouth to breathe.. My power outage alarm was already in route and arrived the next day; I check it weekly and before any bad storms. When it goes off, I get up and go out to the kitchen to call in the outage and make some hot cocoa/tea (gas cooking, just gotta find some matches) and wait it out. Nightly I check my Hybrid mask to ensure the anti-asphyxia valve is working.

Last edited by Muse-Inc on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.