POLL: Which type of mask is your primary mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Which type of mask do you normally wear - full face, pillows, etc?

Full Face Mask
33%
Nasal Mask
22%
Nasal Pillows
42%
Nasal Prongs
1%
Total Face
1%
Other
1%

Total votes: 407

SleepyT

Re: POLL: Which type of mask is your primary mask?

Post by SleepyT » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:11 am

millich wrote:Because I'm waking up a few times during the night to adjust my leaking Swift Lt, I am:
- going to try putting a little cushion (made from a few layers of moleskin) on my upper lip to angle the pillows a bit more
- trying the velcro cure found here: viewtopic.php?t=5965&highlight=#p54055
Its a very small whistling leak I'm getting but it's enough to disturb my sleep.
millich,
i have the swift for her mask too....and when mine makes those whistling noises...i loosen the strap on the top of my head...and that seems to correct it. just a thought!

t.

"Knowledge is power."

fishhead

Post by fishhead » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:14 pm

my swift lt came with 3 sizes and i vainly tried to make the mediums work. but, no matter what i did, my leak avg was .3 - .4. finally i had to admit that i do NOT have a medium sized nose.. as you can see from my anatomically correct avatar, i have a LARGE nose - but hey, i come by it honestly.

it also helped to run the hose up to the top of my head and clip it to the strap.

but, i am still trying to reach the elusive 0.0 leak.
~fishhead~

SleepyNoMore

Post by SleepyNoMore » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:13 pm

I use the Swift 11!
I see nasal pillows is in the leed so far...

I guess I should of added that I also use the Comfort Lite 11 & the Headrest (decapitated) thanks to Laura aka RestedGal ! All 3 masks are nasal pillows, thats all I can use.

SNM

Last edited by SleepyNoMore on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SNM/SleepyNoMore

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:24 pm

I have the Swift Lt, the Opus 360 that I swap around. I even have the prongs but my favorite is the nasal pillows.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jsmythe

Post by jsmythe » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:25 am

millich wrote:Because I'm waking up a few times during the night to adjust my leaking Swift Lt, I am:
- going to try putting a little cushion (made from a few layers of moleskin) on my upper lip to angle the pillows a bit more
- trying the velcro cure found here: viewtopic.php?t=5965&highlight=#p54055
Its a very small whistling leak I'm getting but it's enough to disturb my sleep.

Here is something that you may want to think about before you start trying alterations on that lovely Swift LT: The whistling can be caused from two or three different reasons. One most probable is condensation forming in the pillows. As you exhale, it blows the moisture back out thru the vent holes, which in turn causes an extremely annoying whistling noise. It is not an air leak. As the seasons change, I have this problem unless I use my Aussie heated hose. Every night for the last 3 nights mine did this. Last night I plugged in my heated hose, NOT a whistle to be heard.
If the pillows are too small, that will also cause a whistling noise.

I have 3 interface/masks that I alternate. Swift LT,Headrest pillows, and Mirage Activa LT nasal mask. All are extremely comfortable with NO leaks. I can not find a FF that fits and does not leak.

Started using cpap Sept. 12, 2007
Respironics PR System One Bi-Pap Auto w/Flex,pressure of 9/15, do not use ramp

millich

Post by millich » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:06 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I have to say that I'm amazed so many of us use nasal pillows. I had no idea they're as popular as they are!

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:01 am

A question for us nasal pillow lovers. Has anyone found that they don't need to use a chin strap with the Optilife, whereas they have to use one with other nasal pillows? I know the manufacturer says it is not a chin strap but a chin support...
Just curious as I have not yet tried this mask.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:32 pm

I normally wear a quattro full face but have been trying a gel nasal mask. I have had some success with the gel nasal but not as good as the quattro, even though the gel is more comfortable. My problem is I need surgery for turbinate reduction and deviated septum.
Gerry

AirBreather

Post by AirBreather » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:29 pm

I am surprised at the popularity of nasal pillows. I have used a Resmed Mirage Activa LT Nasal mask for years, but decided to try a Mirage SoftGel Nasal mask in mid-December. After using it about a month I decided that I like the Mirage Activa LT better and switched back.

The Mirage SoftGel is an extremely quiet mask, but the Mirage Active LT is not very noisy and mask noise doesn't bother me much anyway. I switched back because I find the Activa LT to be more comfortable.

Eureka

Post by Eureka » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:37 am

I started out with a nasal mask, but had problems with soreness on the bridge of my nose. After a while I changed to the LT pillows mask, which I liked very much. But then experimenting, I got the PapCap and used it for the headgear and went back to my nasal mask, and it worked well. But the journey goes on... I got a full face mask (F&P 431) to use in case of congestion. I left it in the box for a couple of months, but thought I ought to try it out in case I needed to use it. I was surprised that I liked it and continue to use it. No more taping or chin straps -- I like that. I suspect this is not the end of my quest for the perfect mask - but that's where I am at present.

LaCansada

Post by LaCansada » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:26 pm

I am a newly diagnosed CPAPer and I have purchased about 6 masks. Sent only 1 back (FF Gel Mask - leaked like crazy). I currently like all of the following: The nasal Gel mask w/a chin strap, the Swift LT for her, and I just bought an F&P 432 FFM that I tried for the first time last night, and I clearly like it better than any other FFM. Minimal leaking and very sofy cushion. The fact that it goes under your chin helps a lot with leaking. The only problem is, if I roll on my side, all of the FFM's leak. For that reason, I tend to keep going back to my nasal Gel mask w/chin strap or pillows & chin strap. I am a big mouth breather and have to be saved from myself here.

foxhunter

Post by foxhunter » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:23 am

Recently changed my prime mask to the Headrest or "aura" and my backup to the Swift LT, both of course nasal pillows.
In both cases I find lanolin advantageous. With the kind help from "Dreamon" I found LANSINOH. It can be found in the baby section of drug stores. It is used by nursing mothers...Sorry Macho Guys...
I smear it on the pillows before applying the mask to my nostrils. It is somewhat tacky so seals as well as holds in place. I can heartily recommend it.
Happy Breathing!

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:56 am

Did not get a chance to respond to the poll but I would like to make a few comments for those that follow in my path:

My first mask was the mask that MediGas included in my package (a very expensive package) and it was pure cr$p. It was soft plastic yet to get a good seal I had to tighten it to the point where the bridge of my nose grew blisters and cuts. Garbage. I am returning it this week.

My second mask was the ResMed (Respironics?) Swift LT II Large Nasal Pillow system... worked great except it is so flimsy that if the fit is not just 'so' you don't get a good seal. And more importantly if you are a side sleeper and smoosh your nose against the pillow it compresses the ports that go into your nares and cuts off the airflow. Apnea event! Apnea event! Crank up the pressure (to no avail). Personally, unless you are sleeping sitting up or watching TV forget it.

My third mask was a Mirage Activa LT Large. I came home, tried it on and fell dead asleep right through dinner for the first time in 20 years. My family was ready to call an ambulance. Problem was the seal was not 100% due to nose smooshing on the pillow. This mask was presented to me at no charge to try out by MediGas when I came in EXTREMELY upset about how much I had paid (between the government and me.. about $2500 or so for a ResMed Escape system) that did not work. They, admittedly, were very good about it. Perhaps they saw it in my eyes. Dunno. A big improvement for sleep.

The fourth mask I got was purchased from CPAPdotcom and was the same Mirage Activa LT Large (I was not going to chance paying the posted $300 price tag at MediGas for the above mask and paid $89 instead from CPAPdotcom) but this time in the LARGE WIDE edition. Big difference. Wider meant more support and it missed the creases between my nose and my cheek. Outstanding and easy to fit without leakage. I could tighten the straps down without cutting my nose as the mask had a forehead support that was ever so comfy. I am extremely hapy with this mask and have purchased two more and replacement plastics for it in case it should be lost or discontinued or chewed by the dog. This is the mask for me. And by the way... you need to know something. This mask is a "bellows type" mask meaning that the airflow has to be going in order to get a good fit. Depending on your airflow pressure you may have to play with it a bit but in the end the fit and stability are outstanding (thus far).

The next thing I did was toss the ResMed Escape II into the closet. It's not much better than a leaf blower. I purchased the ResMed S8 Autoset II and was so impressed by what it did for me that I bought a second one for backup on the auctions on cpapdotcom. This is not the forum for discussing the Autoset II and there are plenty of threads talking about it and its virtues (and there are many) but I bring it up for one reason only. The Autoset II has a mask fitting feature. When you put your mask on you hold the ON button for 3 seconds and it goes into mask fitting mode... full pressure and a graphic view of your leakage. Simple as pie. Get the fit in five seconds, push the on button again and it goes into normal operational mode and off to sleep you go. Best nights of sleep I have had in years barring some other factors that are going on in my life here that break up my sleep at times. When I do sleep without outside interruption or grief it is a good sleep as I get used to the mask and the machine.

That is my experience. Others will have different experiences and I spoke to a fellow last night who turns out to be a hosehead of ten years using a full face mask as he is a mouth breather. And his words to me were simply that he could not live without it. It is not a bad idea, once you find that perfect mask, for the cost of same, to get two or three of them along with replacement plastic gels. You may never find a mask that does as well for you and then again, you may eventually find one that is better. In which case you have paid a small price for peace of mind and besides can sell the older masks online to recoup some of your investment. That was my feeling anyway. Case in point, as soon as I bought my second S8 Resmed Autoset II I note that ResMed is coming out with the S9 series. Go figure. I guess it is one way to boost sales revenue.

Now if they would just lower their oximeter costs they would make a lot of people both happier and healthier. One of the critical byproducts of sleep apnea is low blood oxygen saturation which leads to sky high blood pressure at night (mine went up to 250 or 280 over something in the hospital) and this leads to all sorts of secondary issues. Monitoring blood oxygen saturation is important and with finger cup measuring devices running $50 to $100 I would think that it would not be too hard to include and interface to the ResScan software or the blower itself to include that data.

Anyway, this is about masks and now you have MY story. Good luck and have patience. I was lucky to find a good fit in so short a time. And by the way I think I will keep the Swift LT mask for when I am watching TV so I can see the screen yet am covered if (when) I nod off. No more waking up in a sweat with heart pounding at times. Sure sign of high blood pressure and low blood oxygen and a poor mask fit.

Good luck. Be well. Feel GOOD like I do this day.

Murray in Richmond Hill

Hueffenhardt

Post by Hueffenhardt » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Swift FX Medium Pillows

DennisG

Post by DennisG » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:34 am

My current mask is the Swift FX (3 mo). It is my 5th mask, starting with ComfortClassic(3 mo), ComfortLite 2 (6 mo), Swift Original (4 years), and Swift II (6 mo). Really liking tht Swift FX so far, but i am between medium and large pillows.

Dennis