Using Wipes????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:38 pm

Geocom wrote:Indeed. My wife announced at a dinner party earlier this year that she wishes I'd stop stealing her panty liners and her panty hose... You can imagine the looks of horror and revulsion around the table...

Yet still, Tucks pads are nothing more than a nice swath of cotton, conveniently moistened with a soothing balm that makes my cpap mask oh so clean.

Yes, I keep a jar of hemorrhoid pads on my nightstand, and I'll shout it from the rooftops!

clean

Maybe I'll go buy some....but send my husband in for them...

*** Linda ***

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:15 pm

I just googled Tucks* and this is what is says:

Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Witch Hazel (50%)
Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Citrate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Citric Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

There's alcohol in there, so that's not good. Also, I'm pretty sure the stuff used in deicing machines (sprayed on planes) is Propylene Glycol. So perhaps it's not as benign as we'd all hoped.

On the bright side, the mask won't freeze while waiting for takeoff....

*Source:Tucks

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:48 pm

In as most products that are mass produced for antibicrobial use in modern countries are alcohol based, I figured they would be too. Am I the only one that does not mind the smell of vinegar?

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:48 pm

In as most products that are mass produced for antibicrobial use in modern countries are alcohol based, I figured they would be too. Am I the only one that does not mind the smell of vinegar?

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:44 pm

I love the smell of vinegar, clean, reminds me of a salad. Only I wouldn't use it every day. I think people are looking for a quick wipe down product to use daily, instead of soap and water.

L o R i

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:52 pm

Yes, but I keep a bottle of the vinegar and water mix with a spritzer on it so I just squirt a few times, and dry with a clean towel, takes 30 seconds. And I don't have to worry about my mask at all.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:54 pm

rock and roll wrote:Yes, but I keep a bottle of the vinegar and water mix with a spritzer on it so I just squirt a few times, and dry with a clean towel, takes 30 seconds. And I don't have to worry about my mask at all.
LOL ~ You must smell like vinegar all the time. You probably make everyone you come into contact with crave a salad once you walk into the room.

L o R i

dankazoo

Post by dankazoo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:56 pm

Hey R&R-

Is that balsamic vinegar? Dressing up to go to bed?

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:02 pm

Ha! Plain white vinegar. Don't smell like it at all, it only smells like it for a second. I've been doing it since day one of my using cpap. Never had a soul say I smelled like vinegar.

WAFlowers

Post by WAFlowers » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:04 pm

Being Canadian I associate the smell of vinegar with french fries. And pass the pop! .
The CPAPer formerly known as WAFlowers

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:04 pm

[quote="rock and roll"]Ha! Plain white vinegar. Don't smell like it at all, it only smells like it for a second. I've been doing it since day one of my using cpap. Never had a soul say I smelled like vinegar.

L o R i

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:05 pm

WAFlowers wrote:Being Canadian I associate the smell of vinegar with french fries. And pass the pop! .
Wait till everyone sees your knees...that's the only part of the photo that will be under WAFlowers in the next update
L o R i

cvansant

Post by cvansant » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:06 pm

I do take the face and forehead cushions off the mask and wash them in baby shampoo every day. It seems to be necessary for me to get a good, clinging seal with my FF mask. But I sweat rather badly every night, even if the room is comfortable. Feet can be cold, but the head is still pouring it out.

I know R&R champions vinegar, but I agree with the argument that vinegar is more for desolving the calcium deposits left after the humidifier has evaporated municipal water. I use distilled water so the build up should be slow. At some point I will have to flush the humi out with a vinegar solution. On a silicone cushion, I just don't trust using a vinegar. Ever smelled a silicone caulk before it has cured?

Geocom

Post by Geocom » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:43 am

ARRRGH!!! I'm going to go down fighting on this one!

Please check the ingredients of your baby wipes! Pampers Baby Wipes list propylene glycol as the second ingredient, after water.

Propylene Glycol is an additive commonly used in foods and cosmetics. It is considered safe by the FDA for these purposes.

Heck, Propylene Glycol is in Tylenol, it's in Dove soap; you'll find it in cake mix and salad dressings--It's everywhere.

Propylene glycol is even the base for Tom's of Maine natural deodorant! (You can find a good discussion on propylene glycol at their website: http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/ifs/pro ... glycol.asp

So, if you're eating it in your food, slathering it on your baby, and putting it on your face and under your arms, it sure won't hurt you if it's an ingredient in a product you use to clean your mask.

I talked to a pharmacist today who told me the amount of alcohol in Tucks is negligible. It's mostly Witch Hazel and water. He did say that Tucks is used for a variety of purposes, and he even recommends it for use on infants!

How 'bout somebody using Tucks for a while, then reporting back? This is getting comical! I feel like I'm a lone voice in the wilderness tyring to defend the use of hemorrhoid pads!

George

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:50 am

George,

I can't imagine anything that is designed for the purpose that Tucks is being harmful for the mask. It HAS to be gentle. Otherwise, it would not be on the market for its intended purpose. I thought it was a rather good suggestion, even though I wanted to tell you to "Sit on it" just for a laugh! Then realized it wasn't that funny...
L o R i