I hate my new 420e!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BP

Post by BP » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:32 am

One more quick update. The machine that I purchased was definitely brand new, not refurbished. I called the seller and asked specifically and that's what I was told.

I also call Puritan Bennett and talked with technical support. They told me that each new machine goes through, up to 60 hours of testing, and that my 17 hours was not at all unusual.

-BP

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:02 pm

If it it is less than 30 days old, I would definately get it sent back if it is not working properly. On a Respironics machine, they say you have to return it within 30 days to get it replaced with a new one like you purchased. It's probably the same with PB. Good luck.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics

Last edited by sthnreb on Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bi-Pap for 17 years now. Rx 12/8 and using a Resmed AirCurve 10 SAuto Bipap Auto.

BP

Post by BP » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:08 pm

sthnreb, not sure what you meant in your post. I have verified that it's new, and that the 17 hours is normal manufacturer's testing time. Would you elaborate on why you would still send it back? And what does "The hours can be reset, I guess someone slipped on yours.", mean, specifically the slipped part?

Thanks,
BP

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:30 pm

I would try to find a local DME and take your machine with you. Bring your hose and mask. See if you could run one of theirs for a few minutes to compare the sounds. If yours is noticably different, then maybe you have a case to return it. Also, maybe it will quite down some as it gets some hours on it. Wonder if anyone has noticed a sound change with more hours.

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:42 pm

loonlvr, good idea for BP to try to find a local DME with a 420E for sound comparison.

Also, interesting you should say that about "time". My anecdote doesn't have to do with the 420E that BP is listening to, but does tie in with your thought about giving a machine time to settle down. I had forgotten all about this until you jogged my memory.

My Remstar Auto with C-Flex made an objectionably loud sound at either inhale or exhale, I can't remember which now, for about two months when I was first using it. I didn't like the sound, but liked the machine very much, so got more or less used to the sound.

There'd be an occasional night when it wouldn't make the sound as badly, but most nights for those first two months, it sounded very much like a sick cow. A loud sick cow.

I'm not sure when the sound finally stopped happening, but for the past nine months it's consistently sounded "normal"...like what I'd expect a Remstar Auto with C-flex to sound like. The normal up and down whoosh sound of C-Flex "breathing" with me. Whatever was wrong with the cow, she recovered. Or was put out of her misery.

I suppose warranty issues would be a reason to not wait it out too long in hope that time would heal a machine.

BP

Post by BP » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:19 pm

Quick update, I am now 99% convinced that there is nothing wrong with this machine. Several people have commented on this thread that their's has the same basice sound, combined with the fact that the machine is brand new, and Puritan Bennett tech support told me up to 60 hours was normal on a new machine. It's just that the sound characteristics of this machine are different from the Remstar. When you combine that with the fact that I have an activa mask, and that I wear ear plugs, has proven to be a bad combination.

To try and eliminate the mask from the equation I did a simple test today. With the mask removed from the hose, I simply put the end of the hose in my mouth and turned the machine on. I know it's kind of crazy, and I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it for more than a few breaths. But, with the mask removed completely from the chain like this, I heard almost no difference between the sounds of the two machines. Configured this way it's very easy to hear leaks, and noises from either the machine or the humidifier connections.

-BP

fnorette

Post by fnorette » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:24 pm

BP -

Bravissimo! As RG might say, great lab ratting!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:46 pm

You got that right, fnorette!!
Configured this way
Love that phrase for what you did, BP!!

Sounds more elegant than repeating, "With the hose stuck in my mouth this way..."

snoozeandlose

Post by snoozeandlose » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:14 pm

My 420 E sounds just like you all described--a whine that changes slightly with enhaling and exhaling. The machine is great. I had a responronics oldie before and this is better. But I am so sleepy that the noise is not an issue. I think finding an adapter for the serial port for my laptop was a bigger problem.

seagull

Post by seagull » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:45 pm

rested gal wrote:
More than once I have turned it off and gone back to bed only to find it still blowing happily when I wake up.
The machine is trying to tell you something important, seagull. :wink:

Rested gal, you caught me. Yes, I went back to bed without putting mask back on. Ha.

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:39 am

BP
I have my 420G about a foot above the floor (as recommended by someone on this forum) and am not aware of any noise. So I bent down close to the machine and could hear the noises others described.

Is it possible for you to lower the machine (less chance of any moisture getting to your mask as well).

Also, when you block your ears with your fingertips any sound you make is exaggerated. Is it possible that the noises at the mask end (even noise travelling up from the machine) is likewise exaggerated by having your ears plugged.

Stick with it.
Margaret

Margaret

Sorry!

Post by Margaret » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:52 am

Sorry! Disregard fingers in the ears comment ........ I just tried it and it doesn't make the noise louder ......... only seems like it when you're blocking out loud background noise.

Must run
Margaret

waikikisnowman

New 420E

Post by waikikisnowman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:36 pm

Just took delivery of a New 420E and it had 17 hrs on it.

Must be normal I would say

BP

Post by BP » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:45 am

waikikisnowman, yeah I have come to the conclusion that all is fine in that regard. The problem isn't with the machine, but with the user.

Let me know how you do.

Cheers,
BP

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:21 pm

I have two 420Es, and one is definitely noisier than the other. I have very few hours on the noisier one, but I could probably travel with it and use it in a motel room since the ac or heater is usually blowing all night and I wouldn't hear the machine with that kind of background noise.

You also have to remember that each brand of machine and type are made differently and so are all going to sound different than than another brand.

It has been said several times that the PB machines seem to "breathe" with you and this is how they provide exhalation relief kind of like CFlex, and that would account for that type of sound. I too find that when I use earplugs with the 420E the sounds are magnified in my head, but at least I can't hear my husband's snoring or the TV. He doesn't have OSA but does occasionally really rock the walls.