Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Tank?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How often do you clean your water tank?

Every Day
15%
Never
16%
Every So Often
57%
Other
13%

Total votes: 489

avi123

Re: Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Tank?

Post by avi123 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:30 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
NeedSomeAir wrote:I heard in about two posts here that they don't clean the water tank at all and they use distilled water only. I, too, only use distilled water. But my user's guide says to clean the tank every day. Personally I don't see the need to do it. But if I don't do it, I feel like it is dirty. It's only water (and distilled at that) and it's only in there for a few hours.

So what do you think? What do you do?
I'm 6 months in and have never cleaned my tank. I clean my mask parts with Control III. What do you use to clean your tank with?
I personally don't want to put any Arizona tap water in my tank as the water here is very hard.
Comment,

My tank is dishwasher cleanable but I usually clean it with Ajax and tap water. Today I read an article in the May 2012 issue of Consumer Reports on Health, titled Beware of kitchen germs. In it they suggested to sanitize cutting boards with a mixture of a tablespoon of unscented liquid bleach in a gallon of water and next rinse with clean water. I am going to try it on the humidifier tank.

Last edited by avi123 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

jacks321

Post by jacks321 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:33 pm

I use rain water because thank god we don't have a mains supply. I have never had to clean the humidifier tank in that time but thanks to this forum I am aware of the things to look out for.

ems

Post by ems » Thu May 31, 2012 8:07 pm

NateS wrote:
ems wrote:

Strange tho, how many people have NEVER washed their tank after years of use, and so far, I haven't heard of anyone who died.

How would one know?

It's not likely to be listed as a cause of death in a death certificate or in the obituary in the newspaper.

Cause of Death: "Failed to wash his/her humidifier tank."

Nate

I've been teased about being a clean freak most of my life. July will be a year on CPAP and I've never actually washed the thing! I do use distilled water only.

Gosh... I sure hope no one reads this...

I do wash the mask... swear to God!
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

leonardlake

Post by leonardlake » Thu May 31, 2012 9:42 pm

It takes about two nights to use most of the water in my Resmed humidifier. For about a year and a half all I did was dump out the remaining distilled water and then refill. However two days ago I noticed some pink scum in the bottom of the tank. Used some hot water and antibiotic liquid soap, rinsed and refilled the tank. Hope it lasts me another year and a half.

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:44 pm

I just dunk it in the Control III tank when it starts to smell grungy. Otherwise just wipe it out when it runs dry and refill it to 75% mark.
I try and keep the windows open as much as possible, so my water usage varies anywhere between 4 nights to the tank to a full tank per night.

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

Heavylids

Post by Heavylids » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Not enough options in your poll. I dump out and replace the water daily and clean the tank once a week. Steam distilled water doesn't leave any residue in the tank towarrant a full cleaning more often than that.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Don't forget that the humidifier tank is a roach hotel for crud. You evaporate out the water, leaving whatever crud is there behind. Instead of one tankful of crud, you have all the crud from all the water since the last time you emptied it. Plus whatever crud got through or around the air filter and ended up in the water.

Even distilled water isn't 100% pure. I've also heard that, in the US, "distilled" water may not be distilled, it may just be purified to certain levels of purity. (Government regulations)

After a while, you can end up with lots of crud accumulated and may get germs growing in there.

However, in your particular case, it may be that the amount of crud in your water supply and leaking through your air filter isn't enough to add up.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:55 pm

jacks321 wrote:I use rain water because thank god we don't have a mains supply. I have never had to clean the humidifier tank in that time but thanks to this forum I am aware of the things to look out for.
Did you ever notice that after a rain there are dirt spots on your car. That is from the dirty air that the rain falls through. That dirt is in your humidifier with the rain water.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:49 pm

LSAT wrote:
jacks321 wrote:I use rain water because thank god we don't have a mains supply. I have never had to clean the humidifier tank in that time but thanks to this forum I am aware of the things to look out for.
Did you ever notice that after a rain there are dirt spots on your car. That is from the dirty air that the rain falls through. That dirt is in your humidifier with the rain water.
Don't forget all the dust, bird droppings, pollen, etc. that was on your roof or whatever rain collecting device before the rain started.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

napstress

Post by napstress » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:58 pm

I replace the water every other day and do a formal cleaning once a week. On more than one occasion I have found an insect floating around in there.
Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 14
Diagnostic study: overall AHI: 0.2 events/hour; overall RDI: 45 events/hour
Titration study: AHI: 6.1; RDI: 27; CPAP pressures: 5-8cm

Not-tired behind my eyes and with a clear, cool head!

123.Shawn T.W.

Post by 123.Shawn T.W. » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:18 pm

gasp wrote:
lovemyapap wrote:If I dont wash my cats and birds water dish regularly it gets a slime like feel on the surface. I figure if I dont wash my tank daily Id be at risk for that same slime, bacteria growth.
I'm wondering if the slime is from impurities in tap water versus using distilled water in the humidifier tanks is different and doesn't cause slime?
More than likely it is from the critter sticking its tongue into the water ... Try using distilled water in your pets bowl ...
"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home." - Winston Churchill

justacpapuser

Once a week

Post by justacpapuser » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm a CPAP newbie but I chose to do my cleaning once a week - the mask + humidifier tank.
I try doing it on Friday morning so it'll all be dry by the evening.
I think I'll also clean the hose as well or just do it once a month.

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:26 pm

I thought that with distilled water I didn't have to clean my tank so often and since my tank was hard to clean I would just put vinegar in and rinse it around monthly or so. Then I discovered a dark film on the bottom of my tank but the top didn't come off so I couldn't clean it thoroughly. That made me buy the tank that will go in the dishwasher. I take the tank apart and wipe it out and dry it thoroughly each time I refill the water. Water will last me about two or three nights. Anything that is that close to my head has to be clean!

Dan Jacobs

Post by Dan Jacobs » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Once a week.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:35 am

Daily, I don't use the same drinking cup after a day. So humidifier gets a quick cleaning daily.
Last edited by cosmo on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.