Resmed Malibu vs S8 Escape

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jm2010g

Resmed Malibu vs S8 Escape

Post by jm2010g » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:14 am

My second Goodknight 420 machine motor in 2.5 years has gone kaput. To get new machine had to go to another sleep study and now need pressure setting of 11. Pressure setting was 8 but after Goodknight machine motor was whining like an Indy racer I figured how to set it at the new 11 while waiting for a new machine from Resmed supplier. The setting of 11 makes it quite hard to exhale at night in deep sleep. It seems suppliers only can provide Medicare approved low end machine like Resmed Escape model which I do not think has any feature like Bi Mode, and I'm concerned about the higher pressure setting. I am considering getting a used Resmed Malibu top of line but the machine i'm looking at is locked in at 9.2 in CPAP mode only. So questions are:
1. Does any one know if Resmed S8 Escape has pressure release on exhale? Tech says he thinks new ones do but I wonder.
2. Does the Malibu locked in CPAP mode have exhale release? ( I think that's called Bilevel?)
3. Why would Resmed make a full function machine like Malibu model only to lock it in CPAP? Why not lock it in VPAP? Seems akin to making a 5 speed overdrive transmission and welding it into first gear only.

alnhwrd

Re: Resmed Malibu vs S8 Escape

Post by alnhwrd » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:39 am

The new Escape II has exhalation relief (EPR) and the new Easybreathe. The older Escape has neither. The Malibu is a discontinued auto-bilevel. You can research both machines on our host's website, cpap.com. You could probably change the settings on the Malibu by accessing the Clinician's menu. I really would not recommend either machine. You should try to get an Elite II or Autoset II, or their Respironics counterparts. You want a machine that can provide you with appropriate therapy and meaningful data so that you can track your progress and correct any problems that you have with your treatment. Both the Escape and Malibu have flaws/shortcomings to prevent this. MHO, YMMV!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:42 pm

I agree completely. Skip the Malibu AND the Escape II. INSIST on the Resmed S8 Elite II w/EPR. It is Medicare approved as is ANY insurance code (HCPCS) e0601 CPAP. Medicare purchased my Resmed S8 Elite w/EPR. The local DME suppliers like to protect their profit margin as often as possible which means pawning off a compliance data only CPAP on unsuspecting new patients. They cannot charge you MORE for the Elite than the Escape, altho many try. The only difference you should have to pay is the standard 20% Medicare copay AND that copay should be 20% of the Medicare ALLOWED rate for ANY HCPCS code e0601, NOT the BILLED amount!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:49 pm

for exhale relief you don't need to get a VPAP.

As Slinky mentioned if you get an Elite II you'll get EPR which is exhalation relief.

j2008g

Post by j2008g » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:16 am

Thanks to all for great feedback.
I did get an S8 elite II which is CPAP with EHR pressure relief on exhale. What a nice machine. Just like breathing normally at night without a machine, besides it's whisper quiet.
Jim

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:08 am

Where does ResMed come up with these names? Malibu? Malibu????

Does it come with one of those very-tan Barbies and her beach house? A surf board?

Or maybe a mid-sized Chevy?
jeff

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 am

jdm2857 wrote:Where does ResMed come up with these names? Malibu? Malibu????

Does it come with one of those very-tan Barbies and her beach house? A surf board?

Or maybe a mid-sized Chevy?
Perhaps it is because the Malibu really is a fully data capable machine, provides every exhale relief function known to man, and will run all night on penlight batteries. But only if it is used on certain beaches.......