Need help from the ladies!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Muse-Inc

Re: Need help from the ladies!!

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:09 pm

Used to have sky so dry, I used 5 layers of different moisurizers and still had dry, cracked skin! Then, my doc had me start a regime of drinking 64 ozs of water every day...surprise, most of my dry skin disappeared...that was in the mid-80s. Now, at night, I use St Ives Apricot Scrub with very little pressure to exfoliate in the T-zone area, then wash with DermaE's soy & papaya facial soap, pat dry, apply 1 drop of DermaE's Vitamin C & E gel (oil free) to eyes-nose-forehead (avoiding cheeks, near mouth, and chin where the Hybrid mask's oral cushion sits), when that dries apply a thin layer of DermaE's Alphalipoderm facial repair cream. In the morning, I use the St Ives scrub very lightly all over (not on eyelids), wash off, then after showering, apply 2 drops of the Vitamin C & E gel to entire face, a thin layer of Alphalipoderm, and if my skin is still dry a very thin layer of Clinique's Moisture Surge Extra (not on T-zone). If it's hot outside, I apply a very thin layer of milk of magnesia to the T-zone which seems to block oil from bleeding thru my foundation when I get hot.

For 2 yrs I had rosacea which mysteriously appeared and then disappeared. I found I had to keep my skin as free of oil (that I produced) as possible. Because foundation is drying, I made sure I wore it every day. I used the same DermaE products as above (that's when I discovered them) as they didn't irritate my skin which was horribly sensitive during those 2 yrs of reddness and papules. I found my skin did better when I exfoliated once a wk using lukewarm water and plain old table salt patted on and very very very lightly rubbed in the T-zone area -- this is very very abrasive and extremely drying, so be careful if you try it. I also had the form of rosacea where the nose swells -- hideous...I could see it enlarging day by day -- Derm put me Finacea, Vytone, and low-dose antibiotic...nose swelling started skrinking in a wk or so, thank goodness! After a yr, I stopped the Vytone without a problem, then after a few more months I stopped the Finacea, I stopped the antibiotic after 2 yrs and the rosacea has never recurred.

The skin where the edge of the mask sits will blister if I don't wash the silicon seal very well every day and then spray with vinegar and let sit for a few minutes to remove any trace of oil/soap.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

twokatmew

Post by twokatmew » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:50 am

Goodness, that's quite a regimen, Muse!

My face is dry, and I've been very bad about moisturizing, especially since CPAP. When I moisturize, I usually use Neutrogena's "Oil Free Moisture" with SPF 15. I also have Rosacea (fortunately no nose swelling), so I'm supposed to use a Metronidazole lotion, but I've been bad about that too. What I'm noticing now, is that no matter how well I wash my face at night (with Ivory liquid or Dr. Bronner's), my nasal mask is sliding around more. That triangle area around my nose (where my nasal mask covers) feels very "moisturized," whereas the rest of my face is still dry! Perhaps I should just get a total face mask to moisturize my whole face! I'm beginning to think I'm going to need a mild astringent for the area covered by the mask, with a moisturizer on the rest of my face.

teresamichele

Post by teresamichele » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:15 am

I feel so left out here - I've been on CPAP two weeks and my skin is actually more oily! The "ring" where the mask sits gets zits and the rest of it just feels more "moisturized" than normal, though I don't put anything on my face.

Perhaps it's just my humidifier setting? I'm on 3 out of 5.

"If you weren't trying for it yesterday, why should you have it today?" - Dave Barnes

twokatmew

Post by twokatmew » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:26 am

My humidifier is at 1.5, and I agree that my face is more "moisturized" where the nasal mask covers it. I've had the occasional "mini-zit," too. (And I'm nearing fffffffffffifty.) I do wonder how much the humidifier is causing this.

magentapolkadots

Post by magentapolkadots » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:25 pm

katiemo wrote:I do know my previous night time mosturizer is too greasy Cetaphil in the tub, but my normal daytime soaks right up, Olay for Sensitive skin. The CerVa sounds interesting, is it greasy at all?
I use Cetaphil cream (the one in the big tub) on my face before putting on my FFM & haven't had any troubles with increased leaks. I use CeraVe as a daytime moisturizer. It isn't greasy, soaks right in and moisturizes really well. Dermatologist recommended it & the Cetaphil for my rosacea. I do have to use a slightly lighter hand than before CPAP when applying the Cetaphil, but I haven't stopped using it.

Don't know for sure, but the Cetaphil could be shortenting the life of my seal. I do have to replace it EVERY month, as it becomes too "soft" to keep a good seal. I think I remember some folks here saying that the monthly seal replacement wasn't usually necessary, thus asssuming the moistrizer might be the culprit in my case.

Hope you find a solution that lets you treat your rosacea and your OSA.
-K

katiemo

Post by katiemo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:57 pm

magentapolkadots wrote:
katiemo wrote:I do know my previous night time mosturizer is too greasy Cetaphil in the tub, but my normal daytime soaks right up, Olay for Sensitive skin. The CerVa sounds interesting, is it greasy at all?
I use Cetaphil cream (the one in the big tub) on my face before putting on my FFM & haven't had any troubles with increased leaks. I use CeraVe as a daytime moisturizer. It isn't greasy, soaks right in and moisturizes really well. Dermatologist recommended it & the Cetaphil for my rosacea. I do have to use a slightly lighter hand than before CPAP when applying the Cetaphil, but I haven't stopped using it.

Don't know for sure, but the Cetaphil could be shortenting the life of my seal. I do have to replace it EVERY month, as it becomes too "soft" to keep a good seal. I think I remember some folks here saying that the monthly seal replacement wasn't usually necessary, thus asssuming the moistrizer might be the culprit in my case.

Hope you find a solution that lets you treat your rosacea and your OSA.
-K
AAHA!!! This is what I was wanting to hear!! I hate giving up the Cetaphil as it has done wonders for the rosacea, but it seems if I want to use it I have to fork over the bucks for the seals, not sure I can do that. It looks like I will have to figure something out. I wonder if it's only petroleum products that break down the seal so fast or just oils in general?

twokatmew

Post by twokatmew » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:02 pm

I know there are several Cetaphils, Katiemo. Which one do you use for your Rosacea? The Metronidazole lotion hasn't done anything that I can see, which is why I've gotten so lax about using it. It sure would be nice to find something that did!

katiemo

Post by katiemo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:14 pm

twokatmew wrote:I know there are several Cetaphils, Katiemo. Which one do you use for your Rosacea? The Metronidazole lotion hasn't done anything that I can see, which is why I've gotten so lax about using it. It sure would be nice to find something that did!
I use the one in the tub, it seems to work sooo much better for me and it is much richer.

Muse-Inc

Rosacea

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Remember any oil on the face is likely to irriate the skin increasing the reddness of rosacea and increasing the number of papules. There is one theory that in rosacea our own skin oils act like an allergy-major irritant to your own skin, thus that oil (sebum) needs to be reduced as much as possible (washing off) and anything that would seal them against the skin would increase inflammation. Just a thought for those of you with rosacea. MY theory is that as I aged, my skin cells didn't turn over fast enough (this is fact of aging) and sort of stuck to my pores instead of sloughing off. By sticking, the sebum wasn't easily washed off thus irritating my skin and plugging pores leading to increased papules. I used antioxident oil-free gels, washed several times a day, very gently exfoliated to help.

teresamichele

Post by teresamichele » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:29 pm

I have a related question, actually, even if my face isn't dry.

During the winter my hands get so dry they crack and bleed. I try to up the water but it doesn't seem to help a whole lot.

I've tried a few lotions, but can anyone recommend one that's super effective?

"If you weren't trying for it yesterday, why should you have it today?" - Dave Barnes

twokatmew

Post by twokatmew » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:44 pm

teresamichele wrote:I have a related question, actually, even if my face isn't dry.

During the winter my hands get so dry they crack and bleed. I try to up the water but it doesn't seem to help a whole lot.

I have a problem with cracking and bleeding fingers, especially during the winter. I drink lots of water and have a whole house humidifier on my furnace. I've tried lots of different lotions, and the only one that works for me is "Complex 15." I've been getting it from Drugstore.Com. It works best if I start using it before my "winter fingers" get started, and I have to use it regularly and frequently. But, it works!!

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:14 pm

Haven't read the whole thread, just jumping right in with a reply.

Has anyone mentioned looking into a nasal pillow or nasal prongs style mask to you? I have the opposite problem - sensitive acne-prone and exzema-prone skin. I just can't imagine wearing anything but my Nasal Aire II now. It just gives me hives thinking about it.

You can check out my links below to find some free test drives of other styles of masks, including the Nasal Aire II Test Drive I run.

Good luck!!!
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

katiemo

Post by katiemo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:57 pm

teresamichele wrote:I have a related question, actually, even if my face isn't dry.

When I worked (nursing home) I washed and sanitized my hands so much that they became like hamburger, one of the resdient's daughter turned me on to the Neutrogena Original hand creme, that stuff does wonders!

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:51 pm

teresamichele wrote:...During the winter my hands get so dry they crack and bleed...
While water mostly keeps dry skin away, these are tips that have worked for me. Use gloves in the kitchen and for all cleaning. Switch to an organic soap for hands and body. I also spray my hands with vinegar (15-30 secs wait then rinse) whenever my hands have been in detergent or strong soaps or I forgot to wear gloves -- the vinegar helps restore what's called the acid mantle on our skin that acts as a barrier for pathogens...it also seems to help with the drying effect of soaps and detergents.

I use one of the Kiss My Face's Obsessively Natural Oil-Free Moisturizers on my hands and heels when I've dried them out. If hands get really dry, smooth on cream then put on lightwt gloves and leave on overnight -- makes a huge difference. In summer, I use it to soften cuticles on hands and feet.

If i've ignored my heels (I forget to ck them in summer) and sandal wearing has dried them to the pt they crack and bleed, I use DermaE's Alphalipoderm facial repair cream several times in an evening and it usually starts rapid healing over the next day or so (repeat apps several times/day). This cream is the same one I use if I get blisters where the silicon seal sits. My mom uses this on her hands which tend to crack in winter...but she tends to not wear gloves until it's really cold outside (me, it's gloves when the temps go below 55).

Post by 050681354 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi,
I put my night moisturizer cream on immediately when I get home from work at 4:30PM. By doing this, my skin gets its hydration and my mask works fine by the time I go to bed. Also, try Tea Tree Oil Soap. (from Health Store) It is natural and it works to really make skin soft and supple. At night, I take a cotton pad, soak it with Tea Tree OIL and put on face and that doesn't seem to cause leaks in mask. All the best to you and the Planet for choosing natural products.
Crossfit Junkie