Headgear is changing my skull???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rbaratt

Re: Headgear is changing my skull???

Post by rbaratt » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:12 am

I couldnt understand what the indentation was on the top of my head, my skull has a deep groove in it, and it does not seem to be just soft tissue, almost like the bone has changed. Then I put my head gear on last night and I realized it that is the cause. I don;t think it will just spring back and I don;t want to change masks. Concerned about long term effects!

rbaratt

Post by rbaratt » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:17 am

I forgot to mention that I have been using the same headgear for 4 years. I plan to ask the doctor about this, but my guess is that there isn't a lot of data about the long term effects headgear compression to the skull.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:34 pm

I've also noticed that I have a ridge in my skull where the chinstrap goes over my head. I know that it wasn't there before and it doesn't go away by evening. It feels deeper than just a soft tissue dent. It's a good thing I have enough hair to cover it

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:21 pm

rbaratt wrote:I couldnt understand what the indentation was on the top of my head, my skull has a deep groove in it, and it does not seem to be just soft tissue, almost like the bone has changed. Then I put my head gear on last night and I realized it that is the cause. I don;t think it will just spring back and I don;t want to change masks. Concerned about long term effects!
Wrap some padding around the straps.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Wombara

Post by Wombara » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:16 pm

I think that over time, my mask is starting to move my lower jaw back a little. I think it's the slight pressure from the chin strap. My teath certainly feel as if they fit together slightly differently.

Probably not bad thing, I've always had a big chin!
I've written and published a book about my Sleep Apnea and CPAP experiences to try and help others. More information at http://www.stead.co/book

pbach

Post by pbach » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Is it like eyeglass wears indentiations or wedding ring dent?

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:06 pm

My Dad says he has this problem from his chin strap. I will suggest padding to him. Thanks for the info!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:42 pm

I wouldn't be concerned as long as any changes are only cosmetic--
A jaw or bite change would call for a mask switch--even a temporary one.
I like my new skull shape,

gurp13

Post by gurp13 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:13 am

I know I don't have the experience that others do around here, but I have to think most of these fears are unfounded. I wear glasses and have done so for over 25 years. I don't think my glasses have done any permanent damage to my face.

Do baseball players suffer skull deformities from their caps? They wear them an awful long time. And those seem to exert more pressure than my headgear. Braces and headgear have to be pretty tight to move teeth.

And, along, with Pugsy, I think comparing CPAP headgear to foot binding is like saying your hangnail is just like a broken finger.

My bottom line, I think it's implausible that loosely worn headgear made of elastic material is going to move my calcium-hardened bones.

bestemordonna

Post by bestemordonna » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:35 am

I decided to do a search on the internet before I consulted my doctor about the changes I have perceived in my skull since I stated using a CPAP three years ago. At first I thought I was discovering what had always been there, but I changed the postition of my straps and the indentation I felt has not gone away, but I have a new one developing. It seems to be more than just in the soft tissue, and it does not go away as the day progresses. In response to those who have not noticed this side effect, some people must have softer skulls than others. I will discuss it with my health care provider at my next sleep clinic appointment.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:52 am

Please note that the comments on this forum are largely individual experience and observations;
not professional knowledge or research results. If what we say helps, good; but there is no substitute
for a competent medical opinion. We are here because such has often been elusive.

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:22 am

I noticed the same indentations in a couple of spots, some visible on my cheeks. I had some scraps of double thick polar fleece around and simply cut some appropriate shapes. After I put my mask on I simply slip them between me and the straps, no more marks. They don't slip and add soft comfort to my sleep. I didn't need to adjust straps. Launder by hand or in a mesh bag in the regular laundry when needed. No Velcro, zippers or extra bulk. Look in remnants for best price if you don't have scraps.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:27 am

Persistent dents where elastic has lain may be a symptom of circulatory disorders.
If not seen to by a doctor, these conditions may become quite dangerous.

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:58 am

I can say, with near certainty, that no headgear is going to change the actual skull bones after they are fused. It's is almost a guarantee anything anyone notices is confined strictly to the soft tissue. Most people would be surprised at how much soft tissue actually surrounds the skull and how "deep" it actually is.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Anything you wear that applies pressure will change the structure of your body, it will not change bones, unless the pressure is enough to crush them.

The cure is to cut away all the tissue off the bones, or live with it. Adjusting the straps to as loose as needed to control leaks. Even before I had the problem with mask marks my hard hat left rings on my scalp.

I wasn't going to be in any beauty pagents anyway. A good outcome the face tends to comform go the mask, that makes the seal more effective. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire