mattress topper results

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wearysoul

mattress topper results

Post by wearysoul » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:29 pm

For those interested in continuing the discussion on mattress toppers that was started in Pugsy's celebrated "F/U" thread, here you go . . .

Yesterday I received a 2 inch latex topper that I had ordered from Overstock.com.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/E. ... oduct.html

I slept on it for the first time last night and I really like it. I think it has transformed my mattress, which is about 10 years old. I felt like I was sleeping on a giant marshmallow--not too firm and not too soft. I'm not a heavy person (about 155 lbs) so the 2 inch is probably enough cushion for me.

I bought the latex instead of memory foam because I have some mild chemical sensitivities (that were once severe). I avoid synthetic odors and fragrances--they are the most offensive. So that's why I didn't want to take a chance on memory foam. As I mentioned in Pugsy's thread, the latex topper had a slight rubber-like smell when I took it out of the packaging, but it was gone within a few hours.

That said, if you are not chemically sensitive, I expect the memory foam, which Pugsy bought, would be just as comfortable. Take it away Pugsy . . .

DoriC

Re: mattress topper results

Post by DoriC » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:43 pm

Doug, thanks for posting this update. My question(and my concern) is how easy is it to turn over from side to side? I ask because my husband has a total hip replacement and residual shrapnel in that hip from a war injury so he has to kind of lift himself up to turn over. Does the topper material make a valley(indentation) that might make it harder for him to turn over? Hope you understand what I'm asking. Where is Pugsy? Thanks, Dori

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:02 pm

When the time comes to replace our mattress (in about 3 years), I am highly considering spending the money for a natural latex foam mattress. Supposedly, you get all the benefits of memory foam, but without the downsides, i.e., being hot, sinking into the bed, lumping of the mattress.

I think latex foam mattress are rated to last between 20-30 years, and supposedly they do!
Sleep well and live better!

Rustyolddude

Post by Rustyolddude » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:59 pm

tattooyu wrote:When the time comes to replace our mattress (in about 3 years), I am highly considering spending the money for a natural latex foam mattress. Supposedly, you get all the benefits of memory foam, but without the downsides, i.e., being hot, sinking into the bed, lumping of the mattress.

I think latex foam mattress are rated to last between 20-30 years, and supposedly they do!
Likewise. I can also tell you as far as latex foam life, I've had a latex foam pillow for over 20 years and it is still in good shape. I suspect memory foam is like anything else, you have to pay a premium for quality. If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the memory foam and gone with a latex foam topper.

wearysoul

Post by wearysoul » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:49 pm

DoriC wrote:My question(and my concern) is how easy is it to turn over from side to side? Does the topper material make a valley(indentation) that might make it harder for him to turn over? Where is Pugsy? Thanks, Dori
Dori, I found it pretty easy to turn over on my side. I didn't feel I was sinking down into the topper so far that I had to lift myself out of a valley or an imprint of my body. My old mattress underneath is pretty firm (though I notice it's sagging slightly) and I think that may help keep the topper from feeling too soft. I slept on a memory foam bed once in a hotel and I would say that the latex is definitely somehow different. I didn't have any issues with the comfort of the memory foam, but I did notice the sinking phenomenon, which some people might not like.
tattooyu wrote:When the time comes to replace our mattress (in about 3 years), I am highly considering spending the money for a natural latex foam mattress. Supposedly, you get all the benefits of memory foam, but without the downsides, i.e., being hot, sinking into the bed, lumping of the mattress.

I've been lusting over latex mattress also. I've been looking at them on a web site called savvyrest.com. I've been leaning toward an air bed (Comfortaire), but definitely wouldn't mind a latex mattress. Their long life is very appealing.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:20 pm

wearysoul wrote:
DoriC wrote:My question(and my concern) is how easy is it to turn over from side to side? Does the topper material make a valley(indentation) that might make it harder for him to turn over? Where is Pugsy? Thanks, Dori
Dori, I didn't have any issues with the comfort of the memory foam, but I did notice the sinking phenomenon, which some people might not like.

I've been lusting over latex mattress also. I've been looking at them on a web site called savvyrest.com. I've been leaning toward an air bed (Comfortaire), but definitely wouldn't mind a latex mattress. Their long life is very appealing.
Thanks, Weary, the "sinking phenomenon" is what I'm worrying about, he'd get stuck I'm afraid. I think I should take him to a store that has both memory and latex like Sleepy's maybe and have him try them out. From what I'm reading so far, 2" latex is probably going to be best for him. Thanks for all the help. Dori

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:45 am

I have now slept on the 2" and 4" memory foam topper. I didn't have any issues turning over with either one but I could see where the 4" might be a little awkward. It definitely is a stretch getting my short legs into bed now. I had a pretty high pillow top. To be honest, the 2" was just as comfortable for me. Remember I am small. I don't weigh much.

I had no issues with excess heat. No odor issues.

Since I have never even seen a latex topper, much less lay down on it, I can't compare them. Dori, if you can find a store that has them to try, that might be better. I would think the 3" would be a good compromise though if you like the memory foam.

I had a yapping dog that disturbed my sleep..... We will see how tonight goes. I am happy with my purchase. It does seem to let me wake up with less morning stiffness and discomfort. Let me get a couple more nights on it to see for sure. Last night wasn't a good night but it was because of the darn dog, not the mattress.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rustyolddude

Post by Rustyolddude » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:11 am

Pugsy wrote: I had a yapping dog that disturbed my sleep..... We will see how tonight goes. I am happy with my purchase. It does seem to let me wake up with less morning stiffness and discomfort. Let me get a couple more nights on it to see for sure. Last night wasn't a good night but it was because of the darn dog, not the mattress.
OT but speaking of pugs, saw this and thought you might LOL

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:11 am

Hey Rusty,
Cute pug.
It wasn't my little Bo that was yapping. It was my mother's little Pappilon (sp?). Annoying little dog. Barks for no reason what so ever and never has been taught to shut up.......

BTW Those pet lovers who expressed concern over Bo. He has a spinal cord neuropathy. Compare it to human with herniated disc creating pressure on a nerve. Probably arthritic spur pushing on the spinal cord. He got a steroid shot. He is improved. Still has some trouble walking quite right but now he can control his bowels. He also seems happier. He now begs for food again. I think he was hurting so bad he forgot to beg. He will be getting regular steroid shots every 3 weeks. Gonna beef him up even more.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

wearysoul

Post by wearysoul » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:16 am

Dori,

I think your idea of letting your husband try both the latex and the memory foam at a mattress store is a good one. I think both products have positives and negatives. It's just a matter of deciding what features are most important to you.

After sleeping on may latex topper for a second night, I'm still happy with it. Last night, I paid more attention to how it responds to my body. I'd say it definitely "gives" a little under the weight of my body, but in a different way than memory foam. I guess it would be appropriate to say it feels and responds like a piece of soft rubber!

wearysoul

wearysoul

Post by wearysoul » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:16 am

Dori,

I think your idea of letting your husband try both the latex and the memory foam at a mattress store is a good one. I think both products have positives and negatives. It's just a matter of deciding what features are most important to you.

After sleeping on may latex topper for a second night, I'm still happy with it. Last night, I paid more attention to how it responds to my body. I'd say it definitely "gives" a little under the weight of my body, but in a different way than memory foam. I guess it would be appropriate to say it feels and responds like a piece of soft rubber!

wearysoul

wearysoul

Post by wearysoul » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:17 am

Ooops . . . sorry for the double post!

kavanaugh1950

Post by kavanaugh1950 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:07 pm

weary soul, I bought a select comfort sleep number mattress and really don't like it. You don't get that ahhh factor when you lie down and I bought a four inch foam mattress topper to put on it. It helps but I would buy a latex mattress next time.Try out the comfort aire before you buy it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:33 am

Follow up on the 4 inch topper. I got 9 hours on it last night. My husband doesn't like it. He sinks too much in it.
Remember he is a big man. I weigh about 125 lbs and I don't sink much so it is not a factor for me. My thought would be that it could be a factor affecting turning over if a person did sink much and wanted to turn and had a bit of weight on them and couldn't turn easily.

Some people are going to like that "sink" in feeling, just like some people like a really soft bed. Some people won't.

My sister told me that it took about a week before she adjusted to the sink in feeling of her 3 inch topper and also about a week before she saw relief from her back aches. So... I will give mine some time this week. My husband is over the road truck driver and will take the 2 inch topper with him and we will see how he likes it. I may end up with a 2 inch topper on my bed later and give the 4 inch to my sister. She loves the "sink in" feeling.

So for now, I will use this one and see how much it affects my original reason for buying it. Decreasing my back and pelvic discomfort and thus decreasing my tossing and turning which wakes me up and affects my overall sleep structure. Last night I do remember some tossing and turning but not as much as other nights. I just need to give it some time. I personally find the topper quite comfortable. I suspect that I would be just as happy with the 2 inch memory foam or probably the latex.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:15 pm

Mine's a 2" Isotonic (TM) memory foam (Carpenter's) topper (4# density) over a very firm Posturpedic that's getting old. I'll replace when I lose more wt and get some $. This combo is quite comfy and significantly reduced my back pain. I did not like the feel of memory foam mattresses as I sank too deep then had trouble turning and it got waaaay too hot for my comfort. Will consider the latex mattress, tho with my history of contact allergies, my docs might not think that would be a good idea...but it is natural.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.