Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What was your AHI at your diagnostic sleep study?

5-10
5%
11-20
12%
21-30
12%
31-50
20%
51-70
19%
71-90
10%
91-110
9%
111-130
6%
131+
2%
Never had a PSG
0%

Total votes : 422

2flamingos

Re: POLL: What was your AHI at your diagnostic sleep study?

Postby 2flamingos on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:05 pm

unfamiliartoallofthis wrote:I am new to all of this. I just had my first sleep test and Dr told me I stopped breathing 24 times in an hour. and stopped breathing for 51 seconds . I really don't understand which number is AHI and what it all means. Dr wants me to go for a second test and use a cpap. I have a problem with panic attacks and barely got through the first test. Please explain what results mean

Unfamiliar, I too suffered from Panic/Anxiety Attacks when I had my study and titration (about 3 months apart due to surgery). Once they got the PAP going, other then them coming in to change and adjust the mask, I did nothing but sleep. No anxiety, no panic, just sleep. And some pretty darn good sleep I might add.

I don't mean to sound condescending or as if I am making light of your panic issues, but trust me - I will all be worth it! My Septopplasty and sleep studies are some of the best decisions I have ever made.

Keep us posted.

Additional Comments: Pressure - 12-16 ClimateLine Hose. Zeo Mobile, Chin Strap
Old enough to know better

Karma is a Wonderful Thing.

Drowsy Dancer

Postby Drowsy Dancer on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:38 pm

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

ladyhen

Postby ladyhen on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:53 pm

I had a study done about 18 months ago and my AHI was 6. They wouldn't diagnose me. Repeat test in January was also just 6, however when they looked at my symptoms, they decided to go ahead and diagnose me and prescribe CPAP. My AHI has been between 0.3 and 1.8, averaging 0.8 for the two weeks I've been using CPAP. At even 1.8, I was dragging the next day.
Christy

WonderGirl
Also Posted As:
(WonderlandGirl)

Postby WonderGirl on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 pm

terms and numbers
Also Posted As:
(mbmonkey1971)

Postby terms and numbers on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:01 am

I'm new to this as well, but my pressure was set ast 20/15 .......I don't know a lot of the terminology associated with the cpap, so I have quite a bit to learn. A glossary of apnea treatment terms would be helpful......wouldn't really change anything, other than understanding the condition that has been kicking my but for years now. 8)

Drowsy Dancer

Postby Drowsy Dancer on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:52 am

terms and numbers wrote:I'm new to this as well, but my pressure was set ast 20/15 .......I don't know a lot of the terminology associated with the cpap, so I have quite a bit to learn. A glossary of apnea treatment terms would be helpful......wouldn't really change anything, other than understanding the condition that has been kicking my but for years now. 8)

Hey, terms and numbers, check out the sticky at the top of the forum. Early posts have a lot of definitions. http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t35702/Where-A-CPAP-Newbie-Should-Start.html

Also check in the Wiki here: http://www.cpaptalk.com/wiki/index.php/Category:CPAP_Definitions

Drowsy Dancer

Last edited by Drowsy Dancer on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

DreamLady

Postby DreamLady on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:16 am

Never got to REM during Sleep study (barely ever got to stage 3, either). They said 63 was what they counted, but thought the 'real' number was probably twice that. The expected my AHI would be much, much worse in REM. I was lucky that my insurance agreed to treat with the data they had because of the severity. Tech with 25 years experience said I was the most apnic patient she'd ever tested.

Twentysix

Postby Twentysix on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:37 pm

jnk wrote:Based on a great question in a recent thread by Necro(viewtopic/t44203/Intro-and-Who-here-has-AHI-100.html), I thought it might be interesting to find out what the original-study AHIs were for present board users who had a diagnostic study.

Edit: Remember, just as Georgio points out later in this thread, that AHI is the number of events per hour, not the total number of events for the night.

As I understand my number was different for 'normal' sleep and 'REM' sleep, so which number do you want?

jnk

Postby jnk on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Twentysix wrote:
jnk wrote:Based on a great question in a recent thread by Necro(viewtopic/t44203/Intro-and-Who-here-has-AHI-100.html), I thought it might be interesting to find out what the original-study AHIs were for present board users who had a diagnostic study.

Edit: Remember, just as Georgio points out later in this thread, that AHI is the number of events per hour, not the total number of events for the night.

As I understand my number was different for 'normal' sleep and 'REM' sleep, so which number do you want?

AHI for the night, total sleep time.

SleepingUgly

Postby SleepingUgly on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:47 pm

I don't think the mean is a good measure of central tendency in the presence of outliers... In other words, 4 in NREM (notwithstanding continuous FLs) and 58 in REM ==> overall RDI of 15.7, which neither represents my NREM or my REM very well!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Mr Bill

Postby Mr Bill on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:35 am

During the first study, there was an observation period of 4.5 hours during which I got 75 minutes of no REM sleep (24% sleep efficiency). I was having a respiratory disturbance index of 76 events per hour and apnea/hyponea index of 67.7 events per hour. 59 of the 84 events during actual sleep were central events and persisted between 7cm (51 CA/hr) and 10cm (68 CA/hr) of CPAP. Lowest oxygen saturation during that first study was 81%.

My AHI is 3-4 now.

90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12

dilbert

Postby dilbert on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:41 am

My first study I was told moderate with 27 AHIs when on my side or stomach. They also said my back sleeping was severe but did not tell me the number. Funny thing is I don't recall sleeping on my back as I tried but couldn't settle that way.

I am going back on Saturday night to get my flow rate determined etc. I will ask what was the number for supine sleep.

chunkyfrog

Postby chunkyfrog on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:27 pm

--and yet I feel 1000% better.

I once was lost in apnea; but now I'm found--breathing easily all night long.

tbone421998

Postby tbone421998 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Sleep Time in Minutes: 148.5
AHI 88.9/hr
RDI 91.7/hr
Obstructive apneas 55 total
Central apneas 12 total
mixed apneas 2 total
hypopneas 151
RERA 7
Snoring aproximately 900 events
Unexplained transient arousals 18
Pressure: 15
Low Oxygen: 70
Mean Oxygen: 93

Tonight will be night 18. I am averaging just over 5 hours a night and just over 5 AHI a night with compiance being 13 out of 17. Feeling much better during the day.
Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask: Resmed Mirage Quattro Medium
Humidifier: Resmed H5i Heated Humidifier with ClimateLine
Additional Comments: Resmed S8 Escape II for backup

BrianinTN

Postby BrianinTN on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:50 pm

35ish, but the ratio was something like 4-to-1 hypopneas to apneas.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)