Anybody using Lunesta?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sarkel

Anybody using Lunesta?

Post by sarkel » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:35 am

After two months I am still having trouble sleeping more than 4 hours w/my unit. Finally got a Pro2, but havent received my software yet. For the most part, I wake up in the middle of the night, rip the mask off, and just cannot face putting it back on .Assuming the software doesnt reveal any other issues once i get it, has anyone out there tried lunesta in order to get in a full 8 hours on their mask.

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:53 am

I've been on Lunesta for 6 weeks or so, after being on Ambien or Sonata nightly for years, even prior to being diagnosed and starting xPAP therapy. Most people with apnea do not need to be on sleeping meds long term once their apnea is under control and they've settled in with xPAP, but I have severe treatment resistant Central Sleep Apnea that even with BiPAP ST I'm left with resisdual AHI of 30+ so my sleep is going to be interupted a lot. I was reluctant to try lunnesta since I'd not heard great reviews on it from people who'd used Ambien or Sonata long term but I've found it works much better. Ambien, in particular, hits you like a frying pan over the head to knock you out....and if you don't fall asleep when it hits you might end up worse off then if you didn't take it. Its like if you miss the small window of opprotunity you're out of luck. Lunnesta is smoother acting- it sneaks up on you and luls you to sleep. It is not as hard hitting but you have a lot bigger window of opprotunity to fall asleep. I also find when I wake up at night I can get back to sleep as soon as I lay back down which means I'm up less at night though it also works with me if I decide to check my email at 3 am that I can still get back to sleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow. With Ambien if I took too long just to go to the bathroom and got 'too awake' so to speak, I might be laying in bed for an hour or more, and never get back to good quality sleep.

I would think lunnesta would help with your situation of waking up during the night. A few weeks will probably be all you need and it shouldn't be hard to go off Lunnesta when the time comes. All sleeping meds have a risk of dependency but lunnesta has been approved for longer term use. I can say from personal experience that I felt it was much harder to stop taking Ambien, even if only for a night or two because of the heavy hitting effect. With lunnesta I've been able to skip a night once in awhile and not miss it as much- it is a much more natural feeling of falling asleep and closer to what I would consider ideal sleep then what I experienced with Ambien.

tater pie

Post by tater pie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:42 pm

I used Lunesta once and it really didn't work very well for me. I went to sleep much faster but I couldn't tell any difference in my quality of sleep. Just plain on Benadryl works about as good as anything for me when I do need a sleep aide. I've never tried Ambien so I don't know anything about it.

sthnreb

Re: Anybody using Lunesta?

Post by sthnreb » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:26 pm

sarkel wrote:After two months I am still having trouble sleeping more than 4 hours w/my unit. Finally got a Pro2, but havent received my software yet. For the most part, I wake up in the middle of the night, rip the mask off, and just cannot face putting it back on .Assuming the software doesnt reveal any other issues once i get it, has anyone out there tried lunesta in order to get in a full 8 hours on their mask.
When you say pro 2, is this the bipap pro 2? From all I have read, it is lots easier for breathing than the cpap or constant pressure machine. I don't really know for sure since I use the bipap pro 2. I don't have any trouble going to sleep with a bipap machine. I, like you only sleep for maybe 6 hours, but for me that is 6 good hours. I usually go to the bathroom and then back to sleep but more of a twilight sleep and not as deep. I average 8 hrs per night. Have you activated the biflex setting? That can make breathing more natural too and maybe more tolerable to the mask. Do you rip it off because you don't feel you can breath? I've never used a sleep aid so I can't help there. Good luck in finding an answer to help you sleep.

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:39 pm

I have a rx for Lunesta, but Blue Cross in their infinite wisdom is going to make me try ambien first. Lunesta is a formulary exception, so I gotta try ambien. I wanted Lunesta because its approved long term. So i'll "try" Ambien, then switch.
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

seagull

Post by seagull » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:03 pm

I got lunesta when I got machine. They do make you go to sleep.I don't get drowsy like I do with benedryl (diphenhydramine) etc. Just time to go to sleep. I do still wake up a lot at night with it though, but do go back to sleep. I haven't taken them a whole lot because benedryl or sominex does seem to work just as well. I didn't do well on ambien in sleep center either. It still took me forever to get to sleep.

WAFlowers

Re: Anybody using Lunesta?

Post by WAFlowers » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:45 pm

sarkel wrote:For the most part, I wake up in the middle of the night, rip the mask off, and just cannot face putting it back on .
Before resorting to chemicals, I'd be tempted to try and figure out why you feel you must "rip the mask off" andy why you "just cannot face putting it back on".

Is it an emotional reaction to having to wear the mask? Claustraphobia perhaps? Is it a physical problem? Maybe the straps are too tight and they or the mask are chafing you.

Your posting to me sounds like there are underlying reasons causing you to awaken as indicated by your stated reaction in the middle of the night. In my opinion taking pills is a band-aid that won't fix the problem and could possibly introduce needless new problems (chemical dependency).

Talk to us about it. There's a lot of accumulated experience here and together we might be able to help you.

Maybe sleeping pills will be the answer. Even if they are, if we can help you be more comfortable and accepting of your treatment you will be more successful.
The CPAPer formerly known as WAFlowers

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:38 pm

Ambien may well work for me. I just want Lunesta because its prescribed for long term use. I have a right to appeal, which I may due. May be an opportunity to educate Blue Cross why many ppl with insomnia are looking at Lunesta for long term use.

tomjax

Ambien Addicting?

Post by tomjax » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:48 pm

Go back and read the thread discussed at length on the use of ambien and the others. Look up ambienaddicts on yahoo groups. look at the threat is ambien addicting.
Nothing has changed since then.
READ THE PACKAGE INSERT.

r/r and others will castignate me with all sorts of vituperative rejoinders and classical rationalizing, but the facts will remain. Occasional fine- regular NO NO.
These are intended for short term use only.

There are better ways of getting a nights sleep.
Ambien/lunesta/sonata will cause much more problems than they can solve if a person takes them on a regular basis.
Look up denial- denial is not a river in Egypt.

I will reply to PM e-mail only on this subject.
tomjax at yahoo dot com

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:34 pm

Great Tomjax. Glad to hear you are only replying to e-mails. Don't have to listen to your ramblings about sleep meds. We know your and expert and anti-everything. Wonder why your a pharmacist. Why you put Lunesta in with those others is kinda baffling, since its approved for long term use. Then maybe you haven't heard about that, or possibly because it may not be harmful.

tiredinde

Post by tiredinde » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:20 pm

I was under the impression that people with OSA should never take a sleeping aid. Have I been mis-led?? My trouble is not falling asleep, but staying asleep. If I retire at 11, I am asleep by 11:05, but I will awaken probably at 4:30 or so, and from then until I finally get up, I will fall asleep, wakeup, fall asleep, wakeup. That cycle will occur probably 5 times or more. I think I am sleeping during the first period, but I thought I was sleeping before diagnosed with OSA

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:27 pm

Tomjax: is that all you do is lamblast people that use sleeping meds? I'm sure some appreciate your knowledge, but don't blast people's efforts to get some sleep.

Last time I checked, you are not the mother of any1 on here.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:31 pm

I'm seriously getting sick of tomjax's ramblings. I come on here to post and reply respectfully to people concerns/?'s, but it is a shame when a member feels they have to attack other people just becuase they have thier own methods.

I'm a member here and posted above, but why start something personal. I'm just stating what alot of people on this board feel.

Cpaptalk.com is a positive place... let's try and keep it that way. PLEASE!

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:45 am

Tireinde:I think some meds for insomnia can cause an increase in your AHI index. But lots of ppl with Osa have used them with little effect I believe, Talk to your doc and explain your situation. A trial run may be in order. Sounds like your a candidate to me.

SnoreNoMore2005

tomjax

Post by SnoreNoMore2005 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:36 am

I think tomjax is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else is. The fact that he is a pharmacist, does carry some weight as far as I'm concerned. It may also be why he's a bit more emphatic (melodramatic) with his opinions on drug use.

I think it's good to hear both sides of the equation, and an occassional 'tough love' approach, or a kick in the booty, is what many people need. I know it helps me a lot.

This forum is great for support and empathy and information. It's priceless IMHO.

But lets have an open forum for everyone, including those who want to grab us by the shoulders and shake us up a bit.

SnoreNoMore2005