Resmed Resscan File Format

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
twokatmew

Re: Resmed Resscan File Format

Post by twokatmew » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:33 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:This is a very good idea, open source for CPAP monitoring I like it.

It would be good to include a feature to import files recorded by the most popular oximeters too. The oximeter data could be aligned in graph format with the CPAP data

Or am i dreaming?
I think you're dreaming. But it's a great dream!

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:34 pm

You're not dreaming. But I think that is what we techies call "Phase 2".
jeff

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:47 pm

jdm2857 wrote:You're not dreaming. But I think that is what we techies call "Phase 2".
Ok I now have Phase 3 for ya - A feature that allows you to download the S8 AutoSet II firmware to an S8 Elite II, thus making a CPAP into an APAP or am i getting naughty ?

SleepyInDC

Post by SleepyInDC » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:48 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
jdm2857 wrote:You're not dreaming. But I think that is what we techies call "Phase 2".
Ok I now have Phase 3 for ya - A feature that allows you to download the S8 AutoSet II firmware to an S8 Elite II, thus making a CPAP into an APAP or am i getting naughty ?
Why not just take the firmware for the Auto ST?... my guess is the machines are basically all identical.

twokatmew

Post by twokatmew » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:50 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
Now you're talkin'!

BlueHairBob

Post by BlueHairBob » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:25 pm

The idea that the APAP and regular versions of the machine the same is highly likely. I do embedded software for a very big company and different models of the product (which can cost widely different amounts) is simply a matter of enabling the features via an internal configuration file stored on a removable card somewhere in the guts of the machine.

I have also worked on many cross-platform developments projects - and i decided that using a common user interface for different platforms (i.e., using Java for Mac and Linux and Windows) is a bad idea. If i use Windows, i want my UI to look like Windows. If I were a Mac guy, there is no way I would accept a UI that didn't look like what I expect a Mac to look like.

The free version of MS SQL Express does have a 4GB / Database limit. That is a lot of data if it is encoded well. I don't think that would be a limitation.

I would also prefer to develop in C# (or another .Net language) instead of C++ (having done a lot of both). I think sharing data formats and development efforts does not mean that we would need to choose a single source project for all platforms.

Encore uses an encrypted smartcard that I don't think anyone has found a way to read apart from the Encore Pro/Viewer software. You need that software to read the card - then you can get at the database.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:51 pm

BlueHairBob wrote:The idea that the APAP and regular versions of the machine the same is highly likely.
Since there are non-trivial differences in both the published and measured energy requirements between various Resmed models (within the same family) at the DC power level, what is highly likely is that the differences are more than just firmware.

Cheers,

Bill

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:11 am

billbolton wrote: Since there are non-trivial differences in both the published and measured energy requirements between various Resmed models (within the same family) at the DC power level, what is highly likely is that the differences are more than just firmware.

Cheers,

Bill
Dude really? Take for example a Xilinx Vertex 5 as the heart of a system. This system consists of 5 4 - 20 mA outputs and 128 TTL lines. If when I create the personality I exercise 1 analog output and 8 digital lines surely my power consumption will be vastly different than if I exercise all resources available to me.

abq_guy

Post by abq_guy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:09 am

OK so... redirecting...

For the present I don't believe any features should be considered out of the realm of possibility. A large initial list makes the requirements set for version 1 robust and mutually supportive.

BlueHairBob, I am going to push back concerning your stance on OSes. Were I to purchase the app I would agree with you completely. However, with an open source effort that spans multiple OSes, as the consumer I don't get to complain if I don't like the way the app feels as long as it is stable. Validation of the app will be simple enough for those who have questions by comparing a 1 trace graph in the manufacturer software vs a 1 trace graph in the app. I strongly feel that a single OS initial effort, based on the number of people chiming in here who have an obvious background, will result in a single OS supported. While my strong preference for environments would be C# atop .Net I don't believe it is a decision that should be made based on the expectations of application interaction by user as long as that interaction is consistent and intuitive. I have a number of open source utilities I use in which neither of those statements is true and I still use them because the commercial alternatives are either too expensive or lacking in needed features.

I spent a couple of hours trying to decode the file with no success as of yet. I do know that, based on my assumptions, a large amount of duplicate data exists which makes me wonder if the assumptions are correct (or re-enforces correctness I haven't decided yet). I am thinking a session or 2 with SoftICE will help clear things up though it has been a while since I used it so I don't know if I can expect the file pointer position returned in a manner that makes sense. Of course this approach will only work if ResScan accesses the file when it needs the data instead of loading the whole set into memory initially which wouldn't surprise me. It would be a huge help if somebody knew somebody at ResMed...

-Guy

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:43 am

re C# - there are packages which will create java from it. Many people like developing in Visual studio but are doing so for apache servers.
Also MYSQL is free and used on the net every where.

Think about creating a web service. using micro payments to bill to pay for the server. That solves the platform issue just up load the file and down load the excel.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

BlueHairBob

Post by BlueHairBob » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:20 am

abq_guy, I understand your arguments. You make good points. One option could be Mono. I have run the same C# app on WIndows, Solaris, and Linux. Newer features of the .net framework are usually not supported for some time, but right now I think 2.0 is fully supported.

A web service would be convenient for the user community, but it sounds like it would be harder to do collaborative development and you have to agree on a server platform. I am not sure what the issues would really be, but it seems that it might complicate development - and simplify deployment and distribution.

It is exciting that a number of you are interested in this.

BlueHairBob

Post by BlueHairBob » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:37 pm

The IntelliPap Smartlink software is written in Java. It takes forever to load. I know that is not necessarily due to being written in Java though.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:52 pm

A web service would be convenient for the user community, but it sounds like it would be harder to do collaborative development and you have to agree on a server platform. I am not sure what the issues would really be, but it seems that it might complicate development
Not really - all you need is a defined server platform. one person could write the pretty front end and others do the dlls for a library of functions.

I do internal web sites for the HR department of a big company. My pages replace hand written forms so people don't have to know how to spell their name and they can do their own corrections to hr data, hire people, fire people, transfer them. We have a library of code written by assorted people that access the data, do checking of authorization (no you can't fire your boss) send pretty emails and faxes and so on.

I have also written an e-commerce web site with payments, shopping cart and membership in java.

I also have 30 years of experience programming legacy systems for importers and manufactures and retailers (everything from high fashion garments, construction hardware to fish coops to gravel pits)- as a result my clients always have someone else design the web interface because all my designs look like 80's dos programs.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

abq_guy

Post by abq_guy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:13 pm

I don't know enough about using a web service to form an opinion but if it is a viable option I don't see any reason not to consider it. Everything trades off at some point and in my mind as long as the overall effort is not increased all is good. In thinking about the concept of upload the file down load the .csv I believe that idea has considerable merit (though I can see all kinds of support infrastructure requirements i.e. security, storage, etc.). The downside is, assuming normal users, the .csv would do them absolutely no good. Personally, I suck at VBA, so I find myself resistant to the idea of creating a complex macro in a distributed spreadsheet that would allow Joe User to make heads or tails out of his data. Based on BlackSpinner's input though I feel this option needs to be added to the list of directions we can go.

I am also unfamiliar with Mono but I as I am envisioning a fairly simple application (note I don't feel this is my call!), at least initially. I would think it should be fairly easy to stay inside of the supported features making it an excellent balance of development environment and OS support.

I would like to suggest that those folks who are presenting alternative development environments begin to order their thoughts in terms of a advantage/disadvantage list. At some point we will want to do choose and a side-by-side comparison matrix is an excellent vehicle.

Editorializing, the problem with Java, like C#, is you don't need to be conversant with good development practices to be marginally successful. Both environments enable hacking in the worst possible ways which provide for compromised performance which probably explains why the Intellipap application runs so poorly. I have noticed operational challenges with some of ResScans support processes under XP sp3. After all, if it were easy to write software everyone would do it

-Guy
Last edited by abq_guy on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markchi

Post by Markchi » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:21 pm

I would be happy to supply any of my Rescan 3.7 file you need. I can give you a web link to any file of mine that would be helpful.

Markchi