Amazon not shipping Resmed to Canada anymore

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RMinOntario

Amazon not shipping Resmed to Canada anymore

Post by RMinOntario » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:10 pm

I knew cpap.com could no longer ship Resmed products to Canada, but I saw that some people from this forum could still get shipments this week from Amazon. I don't need the replacement mask just yet but decided to order one anyway from Amazon just now & they declined the shipping address due to the manufacturers shipping restrictions. I guess it looks like a mailbox in the U.S. or no more Resmed. The mask I want is $86USD and $220CDN.

Muse-Inc

Re: Amazon not shipping Resmed to Canada anymore

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:14 pm

Gee, inthe future, I see Americans..maybe even those walk-in shipping places with rental boxes...getting pkgs that they then send to Canada. Do they really think Canadians won't find a workaround?

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

drj130

Post by drj130 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:15 pm

This stuff is getting out of hand. I know that if I was currently in the States, I'd help out the best i could. I'm sorry I can't help but I do wish you the best of luck.

David

Look twice, save a life. You never know when you might see a motorcyclist.

Froro

Post by Froro » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:25 pm

Wow. I guess I got mine in under the wire then!!

There are a variety of vendors on amazon though RIM...I got mine from Medical Department Store out of Florida.
These beautiful kids in my avi are my motivation for getting healthy and staying compliant. Need to be around a long time. See my new blog at http://creativekidscakeslife.blogspot.com/ Baking Blog http://feedingtheravenoushorde.blogspot.com

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm

Yes, it's getting out of hand, I bought a ResMed mask from cpap.com a couple of months ago, no problem, then I tried ordering my reader a week ago and it has all changed, there aren't a lot of places that will ship resmed to canada now from the US.
I read you can get cpapaustralia to ship here still, and that will probably not change as they are not the US. I believe it's all ResMed' doing, probably at the request of Canadian CPAP suppliers, due to complaints about potential customers preferring to shop online and from the US, and therefore they don't make their customary 120% profit on supplies.
My Original prescription had a passage which stated that it was valid ONLY from certified Canadian suppliers, and not valid online or in the US. I had to get the Dr to write a new one after having to sell him on it because I wanted the software to have some control over my therapy.
I cannot believe the difference in pricing between the US and Canada for most things, but cpap seems to be going to extremes. Ridiculous really when you think that your life can depend on it.
Now... Cpap.com will ship anything from ANY other supplier to Canada, so that's an option, and then the post office box, and I hear there are places that will forward shipments to here from the US (For a price).
Myself I have a sister in NY, so I will have things shipped there and forwarded to BC.
Too bad really that we (Canadians) have to resort to these methods to get the same benefits as our neighbours in the US. Maybe one day we'll have the same competitive cell phone services too, and we'll have good rates with those too.

OT. ...RMinontario... I went to H/S in Guelph in the 80's, moved out here from Acton 7 yrs ago. It's cool to see all the familiar, and different places people are from on here.
http://www.paintitpinkcanada.com/pages/gallery.php?lang=eng&id=07291949316296
Click here to help fight Breast Cancer. Vote for the butterfly.

yen10

Post by yen10 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 pm

RMinOntario wrote:I knew cpap.com could no longer ship Resmed products to Canada, but I saw that some people from this forum could still get shipments this week from Amazon. I don't need the replacement mask just yet but decided to order one anyway from Amazon just now & they declined the shipping address due to the manufacturers shipping restrictions. I guess it looks like a mailbox in the U.S. or no more Resmed. The mask I want is $86USD and $220CDN.
You can use a forwarding service where you don't need to pay monthly fees. I used a service called Shipito while I was studying abroad because I couldn't get Newegg to ship to me in China. They charge $a small fee plus discounted international shipping. Service was well worth it.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Whatever happened to NAFTA?

Cheers,

Bill

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:30 pm

billbolton wrote:Whatever happened to NAFTA?
As a matter of typical corporate policy, Resmed gladly embraces NAFTA:

No Apnea "Free-Trade" Allowed

sheldons65

Post by sheldons65 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:36 am

This does look like a pretty good deal....

http://www.shipito.com/shop-in-the-usa

MoneyGal

Post by MoneyGal » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:59 am

Bill -- NAFTA applies to duties (import and value-added taxes) in the Americas. This is not a duty question, it is a supplier issue. I don't know why ResMed is unwilling to allow importation from the US to Canada of their supplies, but there's no government involvement - there's no tax (duty) implication for medical equipment crossing the border either way.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:25 pm

MoneyGal wrote:Bill -- NAFTA applies to duties (import and value-added taxes) in the Americas.
Free trade agreements apply to MUCH more than import duties and value added taxes

Cheers,

Bill

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:21 pm

billbolton wrote:
MoneyGal wrote:Bill -- NAFTA applies to duties (import and value-added taxes) in the Americas.
Free trade agreements apply to MUCH more than import duties and value added taxes

Cheers,

Bill

Yes, they can and do. However, they are limited to the specific things covered by the agreement.

From article 309 of NAFTA:

In the event that a Party adopts or maintains a prohibition or restriction on the importation from or exportation to a non-Party of a good, nothing in this Agreement shall be construed to prevent the Party from:

1. limiting or prohibiting the importation from the territory of another Party of such good of that non-Party; or
2. requiring as a condition of export of such good of the Party to the territory of another Party, that the good not be re-exported to the non-Party, directly or indirectly, without being consumed in the territory of the other Party.

Wish it wasn't true....
I'm workin' on it.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:32 pm

Another alternative would be to get a Resmed machine from the CPAP auction site. I've done this with masks...the price is right and, in my experience, shippers are happy to send to Canada (so far).

BTW. While I agree with all the grumbling about NAFTA and overpriced medical devices in Canada, there is one thing to consider. An online site that doesn't provide personal service of any kind can afford to be cheaper than a DME that does provide service and incorporates the fee for that service in the cost of the device instead of charging the client. Of course, you have to be happy with the service...

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:27 pm

Hose_Head wrote:are limited to the specific things covered by the agreement.

From article 309 of NAFTA:

In the event that a Party adopts or maintains a prohibition or restriction on the importation from or exportation to a non-Party of a good, nothing in this Agreement shall be construed to prevent the Party from:

1. limiting or prohibiting the importation from the territory of another Party of such good of that non-Party; or
2. requiring as a condition of export of such good of the Party to the territory of another Party, that the good not be re-exported to the non-Party, directly or indirectly, without being consumed in the territory of the other Party.

Wish it wasn't true....
Since those clauses have no relevence to the CPAP kit in question, as it is not being exported to a non-Party to NAFTA, any point you intended to make in quoting them is completely obscure

Cheers,

Bill

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Ah, Guest, you are fighting a losing battle on this one. What you describe has NOT been the experience of most of this forum's members. You may even be right overall, but NOT w/those who are members here and who do business w/cpap.com The better experience has been w/cpap.com hands down, no contest. The locals lose here. Actually, they lost us back when we were ignorant enough to patronize them and they shafted us, were less than truthful, tried to pawn off bottom of the barrel devices, or didnt' know their fanny from a hole in the ground about mask fitting, customer service or the CPAPs they provided.

For most of us our good experience w/CPAP didn't begin UNTIL we found cpaptalk and cpap.com

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.