BROKEN RESPIRONICS COMFORTGEL MASK? REPORT IT!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
blakepro

Re: BROKEN RESPIRONICS COMFORTGEL MASK? REPORT IT!

Post by blakepro » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:03 pm

I really like the way this mask fits and its comfort, but I too have broken at least 4 of them.

If you do need to repair one, let me tell you my secret. Super Glue and Fabric.

Basically, take the broken piece and the area it connects to and scratch them all up (cross hatch pattern) I typically use the knife on my Leatherman, but you could use some coarse sand paper or something. Then, just use some fabric (handkerchiefs work well) and cut some small strips that can fit on both sides of the broken piece.

First glue the broken piece back on with just a single bead of glue right where the break is and let it set so it holds it in place for your. (this would break immediately if you tried to use it at this point)

Here is the real thing that fixes things for good: Put some glue down around the broken area and then press the fabric strips into it with a tooth pick or the tip of your super glue dispenser. First focus on just getting the fabric against the plastic as well as you can. It should be on both the main piece and the broken piece. Once you have it secured, saturate the entire fabric piece so that it doesn't have any dry spots left. Do this for the other side of the broken piece as well so the glued fabric is on both sides. If you did it right, the fabric will dry into a hard plastic like fiberglass. This works for both the tabs and the head rest T thing. I have not had any masks break again after doing this fix.

I agree that they shouldn't break in the first place, but when they do, and you are in a bind, this is something that can get you through it. Make sure its completely dry before using it, and also, be careful when putting the super glue in the fabric, it can get hot, and it can put out a vapor that will hurt your eyes / lungs so do it in a well ventilated area and be careful.

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:25 pm

I use the Comfort Fusion which looks very similar to the ComfortGel. I just love this mask, comfortable, no leaks...

Mine broke this past Summer, used my Carpenter's blue tape to fix it until the DME sent another. I've heard the Comfort Fusion referred to as a 'Throw Away Mask'. The strain placed on the plastic from tossing and turning for over a year eventually broke the Mask.

I was so relieved when it did break. I needed a new one and had not realized it. My old DME replaced hoses, masks and filters every three months. I never asked for it and suffered needlessly. To assure optimal therapy, I think three months is just right!!

I found the same experience with the CPAP Pro. It just wouldn't work right anymore. Wouldn't adjust to fit comfortably, excessive leakage etc...

Then, I found out about CPAP PRo's monthly maintenance plan. New parts are sent, keeping the CPAP PRO working tip top.

I really believed if I worked hard to take care of all my therapy equipment, it would last quite a while. Not the case!! It has to be changed out and if you clean frequently, parts will wear and create leaks.

I'm speaking of my own Masks, but I'm not seeing any flaws. Just normal life expectancy. Nobody wants to pay $100-200 every three or four months for new masks etc... I don't see much choice really...

Good luck,

SG

skuddle

Post by skuddle » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:51 pm

SuperGeeky,

1. Your avatar image is... GREAT! Sometimes that's just what my mask feels like - a face-hugger!

2. I've been using the respironics nasal masks for about 3 years and have yet to break a tab. But the ComfortGel I have has another problem: the plastic triangular ring that holds the sealing flap to the body has broken on each side. I think it breaks if I roll over too hard (I'm a side sleeper). I'll try the superglue fix, providing I can remember to pick some up at the store...

3. >>Then, I found out about CPAP PRo's monthly maintenance plan. New parts are sent, keeping the CPAP PRO working tip top.<< Good tip. I'll send this and then check that monthly maintenance plan out.

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:25 am

skuddle wrote:SuperGeeky,

1. Your avatar image is... GREAT! Sometimes that's just what my mask feels like - a face-hugger!

2. I've been using the respironics nasal masks for about 3 years and have yet to break a tab. But the ComfortGel I have has another problem: the plastic triangular ring that holds the sealing flap to the body has broken on each side. I think it breaks if I roll over too hard (I'm a side sleeper). I'll try the superglue fix, providing I can remember to pick some up at the store...

3. >>Then, I found out about CPAP PRo's monthly maintenance plan. New parts are sent, keeping the CPAP PRO working tip top.<< Good tip. I'll send this and then check that monthly maintenance plan out.

One thing I dont know about with the super glue fix is whether its safe on the surfaces that mix with the air you breathe, I think I would avoid doing any gluing on the inside of any parts. I think on the triangular part, you would be okay just doing it around the outside.

Anyway, good luck!

sleepyinstlouis

Post by sleepyinstlouis » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:52 pm

I just got a replacement mask today (and if anyone else has posted this and I missed it, I'm sorry), and it's the one with the new socket design. There's a sticker on the outside of the plastic bag saying as such. Looking at it, the plastic is significantly thicker than the original mask.

Fritz7

Post by Fritz7 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 am

Since my post In July 09 (three masks ago) I have just recently switched masks.
I now use a Resmed Mirage Softgel and I absolutely LOVE IT.
In my opinion I think Resperonics should make bubblers for fish tanks.
They make a great machine but masks, not so much. I think I'll try making ear muffs out of the five or so broken Comfortgels in my closet.
I hear tale that Respironics has changed the design on their mask, they can keep it. After 5 years of no response to complaints and about 1500 bucks in masks, now they act?

Thank you Resmed for making a mask that I can live with! Literally.

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:24 am

I used to use the Respironics Comfort Gel Mask.When I started using cpap in 2005 I quit using them in 2006...I was told by APRIA RIPOFF that I could not use a Nasal Pillow mask because of my 20cm settings. I bought a Nasal Pillow mask from Cpap.com the first one I didn't like so I went back to the mask. I then got a Swift Mireage mask then I went to the Swfit Mireage II nasal pillow I love it and I haven't had any problem with masks breaking.
Last edited by Patrick A on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:08 pm

blakepro wrote:
skuddle wrote:SuperGeeky,

One thing I dont know about with the super glue fix is whether its safe on the surfaces that mix with the air you breathe, I think I would avoid doing any gluing on the inside of any parts. I think on the triangular part, you would be okay just doing it around the outside.

Anyway, good luck!
Once it's cured, it's pretty much inert... fortunately, it cures fast.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BearFanDan

Post by BearFanDan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Just got a ResMed SoftGel and it is terriffic.

I've been on CPAP for better than 10 years and the SoftGel is the most comfortable and best fitting mask I've ever used.

As good or better seal than the ComfortGel and no worry of breaking the clips.

My DME supplier said the ComfortGel rep told him they have thousands of reports of broken clips.

Was told that the 'new' stronger sockets on the ComfortGel didn't fare much better than the originals

Evidently Respironics is working on replacing the ball and socket with a clip.

-BFD

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:25 pm

I don't own that mask, but.....what I'm noticing is, there sure are a lot of Unregistered People posting. Hmmmmmmmmmm might suspicious to me.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:05 pm

This is an interesting thread. I've been on cpap successfully (keeping my fingers crossed) for two weeks now. Sleep center gave me this mask as a going away gift. I tried a nasal pillow but wasn't able to get used to it - although plan to return and try again in future.

Anyway, due to bladder issues, I get up 2-3 times per night, have to take off my mask, go to bathroom and then back to bed. I am curious how long my mask will last - there are just so many moving parts, I can see something breaking.

I also have their new easylife nasal mask as back up and the design does not include the clip ons. I'm assuming this was an intentional design change due to complaints re comfortgel. But the expiration holes are located at the nose bridge area, blowing up - so I can feel the air in my eyes when sleeping. Nervous about that since I have dry eyes because my eye lids don't also close completely....

FWIW, and I am a newbie, I do like the clips of the comfortgel - I set up the head-straps to comfortable position and not having to worry about changing them each time I take on/off is helpful. Anyway, entirely new and I'm sure will be experimenting before settling into one specific mask.