She hates fans

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raylo

She hates fans

Post by raylo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:24 am

I’ve gotten a lot of things somewhat squared away. I’ve got an auto-pap that seems to be working for me, found my favorite mask (swift LT), got the right length hose with insulated cover and a hose hanger, working on the chinstrap thing, ayr gel, and a nightly routine (including a last-minute banana). Thanks to everyone here for earlier help.

A problem remains. The vent blows on my beloved, who hates fans. No matter what, I seem to end up lying on my side facing her. It has driven her out of the bed or made her go to the bottom of the bed (head to foot with me)!

I think she is about ready to cover my head with a pillow. Can anyone offer some pointers (or direct me to an appropriate thread)? Is it possible to redirect the flow of a swift LT vent to go up or down or something?

Ganesha

Re: She hates fans

Post by Ganesha » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:41 am

Raylo,

I will be watching this thread. I also have a Swift LT.
My wife says it is great that my snoring doesn't wake her up anymore.
But now the air from the mask wakes her up.

Maybe I need an exhaust hose in addition to the CPAP hose.

Mark

Hindu god of intellect and wisdom. Remover of Obstacles.
I am not a Hindu or a god, just Mark from New Jersey. But the CPAP mask makes me look like Ganesha.
________________________________________________________________________________________

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:25 am

The Aeiomed (at least I think it's back to being owned by Aeiomed now... lol) "Headrest" mask vents upward toward the headboard instead of out towards your partner. That's one of many, many reasons I love it. It's also a nasal pillows device. Search CPAP.com for "headrest" and you should find it.
Machine: M-Series Auto
Mask: Headrest
No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

DarkSideOfTheMoon

Post by DarkSideOfTheMoon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 am

I say to get a new wife. Sleep is much more important than a supposed "loved one". When she is having night sweats from menopause, she'll wish you were there to cool her down.

I'M TOTALLY KIDDING!!! Can you switch sides of the bed so you will face away from her?

Cathy
Best Regards,
Cathy

raylo

Post by raylo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:13 am

DarkSideOfTheMoon wrote:I say to get a new wife. Sleep is much more important than a supposed "loved one". When she is having night sweats from menopause, she'll wish you were there to cool her down.

I'M TOTALLY KIDDING!!! Can you switch sides of the bed so you will face away from her?

Cathy
Can't give her up - she is a keeper, plus she tolerates me!

Anyway, I normally go from side to side. I try to face only one direction, but ya know, I do stufff in my sleep.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:36 am

Time to start fiddling. Maybe you can tape a little baffle on to it so it blows the air towards the head board? It works for my airconditioner.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:40 am

Put a pillow between you.

raylo

Post by raylo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:47 am

JeffH wrote:Put a pillow between you.
That should work. but when we've tried it seems the pillow usually ends up covering my face (vent included). So far no evidence of her pushing down on the pillow with lethal force.

Maybe if we try some way of anchoring a pillow or light curtain type of thing. Hmm..

Two things to tinker with now. I'll gladly take anymore suggestions.

klockemy

Post by klockemy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:50 am

I tried that....felt like I was sleeping in a coffin.

Also, the extra pillow on the bed tends to become a weapon during friendly bedtime debates.

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:28 am

CollegeGirl wrote:The Aeiomed (at least I think it's back to being owned by Aeiomed now... lol) "Headrest" mask vents upward toward the headboard instead of out towards your partner. That's one of many, many reasons I love it. It's also a nasal pillows device. Search CPAP.com for "headrest" and you should find it.
Yup, look for "Aura" "Head Rest" "Aeiomed"..... This is the best one for venting problems with a partner. "Headrest" pulled it up at cpap.com

https://www.cpap.com/productpage.php?PNum=1717&PAID=215

BTW, just an interesting side note - I've never seen one of these for sale. Correction, I got one once. I think it was the wrong size for the person selling it.

Tells you something that people really love this mask and don't part with it.

I parted with it, because I found I loved the NAII more, and I was sleeping alone, so I didn't need it. And someone else here wanted it very badly, so I passed it along.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

raylo

Post by raylo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:46 am

Okay, I think I may have try the Headrest (and other things). Where exactly does it vent? Is the vent part of the pillow cushion piece or part of the tubing it attaches to?

By the way, thanks to all who have or are going to respond.

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:09 pm

I saw a modification on another nasal pillows mask which turned the air up. You need to try any physical mods out first to check for noise and/or blowing into your eyes. Both are big deals, although I am quite tolerant of noise because I use ear plugs and can't hear any.

Good Luck,
TerryB

Pneumonym

Post by Pneumonym » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:32 pm

Same problem for me last night, for the first time. She muttered something about maybe going to the front bedroom as she turned over, then did get back to sleep (ask me how I know ...). I turned over too of course but the damage was done.

I have a small headrest thingy ready to dploy tonight, looks like a large doggy bone but it's softish. Should intercept the flow. My bad, I turned over half awake and didn't prevent the gale from hitting her.

Blower noise is the other significant issue. Does that minus 3 decibel attachment make a real difference? Earplugs (that I use every night) are being firmly resisted.
A heartfelt thanks to all those patient cpaptalk posters willing to share their exerience and knowledge with newbs like me.

ricochetv1

Post by ricochetv1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:49 pm

klockemy wrote:
I tried that....felt like I was sleeping in a coffin.

Also, the extra pillow on the bed tends to become a weapon during friendly bedtime debates.
She could wear a face shield that'll keep the air from blowing on her...

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Pneumonym wrote:...Blower noise...
Get a library step (you stand on it) and put by the headboard, then put xPAP on it...noise should be lower

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.