POLL-How much do you use your humidifier????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How much do you use your humidifier?????

25% of the time
3%
50% of the time
3%
75% of the time
4%
100% of the time
78%
Never use it
11%

Total votes: 272

KSMike

Re: POLL-How much do you use your humidifier????

Post by KSMike » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:36 pm

Here in Kansas City, it's as dry as the north pole during the winter and as humid as Houston in the summer. When I started on xPAP late this winter, I assumed that once spring/summer arrived I wouldn't need the humidifier, but I was wrong. The constant flow of air is enough to dry out my throat without additional humidification. My humidifier doesn't go through water as fast during the summer, even on the same setting as during the winter. But it adds enough to keep me comfortable. We do run the A/C pretty hard, so the ambient humidity in the house is fairly low, at least compared to outside.
Mike
Kansas City

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:59 pm

I use 100% nights and naps. Setting varies from 2-5 depending on the relative humidity.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Despite N'Awlins humidity -- we have air conditioning, which dries the air out. So I need my humidifier all the time.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

BonnieG

Post by BonnieG » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:49 pm

I use my humidifier 100% of the time in the winter months, set on the third notch. Now, I just use passover mode. I also have a humidifier (water bottle) on my 02 mixer that I use 100% of the time.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Interesting topic and poll. (I use my humidifier two or three days/yr, or less, so I voted never.)

Something the DME told us when several of us apneic patients were assembled to pick up our new machines, those who can get along without the humidifier, should do without it, adding that going without increases chance of success. Nobody asked her why, and I've never seen a study, so I guess that her opinion was based on anecdotal feedback.

Some posters, especially the venerable Wulfman Den, describe greater success with unheated "passover" humidification. After I got data reporting capability, my experiments put me in this category. If I do not heat the water (or if I do not humidify) my AHI is reduced to an impressive one-third of the typical value I consistently got with heating the water.

I sometimes wonder how many folks who have problems and high AHIs despite full compliance w their xPAP might get some better results by turning off the heat, or skipping humidification altogether.

Every patient is different, and many (if not most) folks do better w heated humidity.

There is a subset of patients, however, that will see an improvement if they experiment by removing the heat.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:58 pm

100% of the time......in "passover" mode. I even keep my distilled water in the refrigerator.

And, like "sagesteve", I'm also at 5800' elevation......and it's dry here, too.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:01 pm

Captain_Midnight wrote:...If I do not heat the water (or if I do not humidify) my AHI is reduced to an impressive one-third of the typical value I consistently got with heating the water.

I sometimes wonder how many folks who have problems and high AHIs despite full compliance w their xPAP might get some better results by turning off the heat, or skipping humidification altogether.
Good thing to know -- might post in the "Our Wisdom" section.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Juliebove

Post by Juliebove » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:45 pm

I went without it once and hated it!

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Spent first 5 months before quitting without a humidifier. Was told since I did ok without it during split nite study I probably wouldn't need it. Hey, what did I know? When I bought a machine from a member here, I began using the humidifier. Seems passover worked best for me for a couple years. If I turned it on too warm, I'd wake up so congested and miserable that I had to take the mask off. The past several months though I've found that a setting of 1 is working best.

Trinity101

Post by Trinity101 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:25 am

I only ever use it in passover mode; otherwise my asthma acts up.
~joan

I know why you're here... I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep,.. and why night after night, you sit by your computer... It's the question that drives us... It's the question that brought you here. The Matrix,1999

KSMike

Post by KSMike » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:41 am

One other anecdote - I just started on PAP March 1 of this year. For the last 20 winters prior to this one, I've had at least two sinus infections every winter. One right after the furnace went on in late fall, and another in the late winter/early spring. As usual, I had one this past fall. But - I didn't have one in the spring. Call me crazy, but I attribute that to the humidified PAP air keeping my airways moist during the night.
Mike
Kansas City

ZIFF

Post by ZIFF » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:55 am

I quit using a passover humidifier completely 2 or 4 yrs ago. Before that I used it in the winter when the inside humidity gets down to 20%. What changed? My solution was to turn off the heat register in my bedroom in the winter, temperature would drop to 60 F and 40% humidity when the rest of the house was 70 F and 25% humidity. And in the summer I keep the AC set at night to keep the bedroom nice and cool, and also 40% humidity.

I now live in a house with forced air electric heat. Because there is no combustion going on it does not pull in the really cold dry air from outside. Sometimes in the winter I still have to run the exhaust fans to get the humidity DOWN to 40%.

BeanMeScot

Post by BeanMeScot » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:09 am

When I got the machine last Oct, the humidifier was set on 2. When it got cold, I started getting rain out issues so I turned it down to 1. Recently, I was having problems with getting dry spots in my nose so I turned it back to 2.

Ganesha

Post by Ganesha » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Please excuse my ignorance...
I assume 'passover mode' would be water in the humidifier with not heat.
Is this correct?

My own experience it to run the heat at one third.
On humid days I have to drop it a notch to avoid rainout.

Mark

Hindu god of intellect and wisdom. Remover of Obstacles.
I am not a Hindu or a god, just Mark from New Jersey. But the CPAP mask makes me look like Ganesha.
________________________________________________________________________________________

SleepyNoMore

Post by SleepyNoMore » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:23 pm

I voted 100%, I use my heated humidifier everyday of the year with a setting between 1 & 1.5, I also use my aussie heated hose all year round!
I have a super dry nose & can't tolerate the cold air so that is why I never go one night without it!
BTW, I live in California
SleepyNoMore

Thank You "SNOREDOG" will live in our Hearts forever...

May you always have
Love to Share,
Health to Spare,
and Friends that Care. :)