POLL-How much do you use your humidifier????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How much do you use your humidifier?????

25% of the time
3%
50% of the time
3%
75% of the time
4%
100% of the time
78%
Never use it
11%

Total votes: 272

john5757

Re: POLL-How much do you use your humidifier????

Post by john5757 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:44 am

I never use my humidifier just three times in 5 years. I have a strong passover humidifier version that is collecting dust. To much humidly just makes me harder to breathe.

Born Tired

Post by Born Tired » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:34 pm

I use mine in passover all the time. My Aura/Everest Nasal Pillows tend to rainout if I use any heat--even with the Aussie heated hose (which I use 100% of the time). And for some reason distilled water burns like crazy if it drips into your nasal passages--sort of gives you a rude awakening. Can't tolerate the dryness without the passover humidity though.
Esther
My husband says, "Esther is not a morning person---and it goes downhill from there."

I Thes. 5:16 "Rejoice evermore."

araminta

Post by araminta » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:46 pm

At first I tried to do without the humidifier -- motivated by the notion of trying to keep it simple.

But after 2 months, I felt an irritation in my chest. So I started using the humidifier, and now I use it nightly, but set to 1.
More than that and I get rainout.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:38 pm

I don't use mine at all.....

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:13 pm

I join those who use the humidifer 100% of time in pass over mode. Only during the winter months do I ever turn up the heat and then only to level 1.

Jeff

silver123

Post by silver123 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:59 pm

Passover mode for me otherwise I get rainout with the Swift LT despite a hose cover, etc.
Don't be afraid to go out on a limb.
That's where the fruit is.
- H. Jackson Browne

tom@

Post by tom@ » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:48 pm

I have completely stopped using the humidifier (and I still get condensation), at least during the summer months. I anticipate I will use it only winter (Dec, Jan, Feb), but we will see.

Cassandra

Post by Cassandra » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:18 am

One hundred percent!!

I can't believe I actually considered not getting it. About the third night of using the machine, I got a few drips on my nose. So, the next night, I went to sleep without the humidifier on. I woke up pretty soon to turn it on because the dry air was awful! I had pain in the back of my throat and my mouth felt like a wind tunnel.

I hope I never have to do that again! I would sooner sleep without the machine altogether than try to sleep without the humidifier.

Cassandra

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 am

I'm also in Arizona and always use my humidifier due to the low humidity in general here. I have mine set at 1.5 on the dial, I can't imagine how anyone could use the settings 3 - 6.

The monsoon season is approaching and the humidity can get really high. As this is my first season with my CPAP i am wondering if i will need to adjust or turn off my humidifier during the periods of high humidity?

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:11 pm

I live now in a very humid area in southern Florida and if I forget to fill up, I'm still OK. I wouldn't try that in New York in the winter, however.

Michele1234

Post by Michele1234 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:03 am

I live in South Fla also. I used mine a few times now I don't even use it. I disconnected mine and put it back in the box, I sleep just fine without it. Like others I wouldn't do that up north.

JayC

Post by JayC » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:53 am

I don't use air conditioning, haven't run a fan this summer, and have radiant hear (no vents/blowers)....so don't need to counteract the environment with a humidifier....

I have had nose running/mild allergy issues....which will worsen with more moisture, so I just never get around to trying my integrated humidified my doc ordered as part of my set up. When my numbers are really good I don't mess with a good thing, even to experiment!!

Glad I have it.....figure I will use it...probably as pass-over... at some point.

Always have my hose cover (specially made with love by my mom.... ) had rainout a time or two/minor......but mostly, cover seems to help manage hose movement....

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:36 pm

I said 50 with an explaination - during the winter months I use low heat (rainout problem). When the humdity starts raising in the spring, I drop it to passover mode (raising the heat again when it starts dropping in the fall). When the temperature and humidity get to the uncomfortable level (July and August), I stop adding water. When we travel during the summer, I never take the humidifer, but we're in state so the weather isn't much different.

countman88

Post by countman88 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:23 pm

Used my humidifier 100% for the first 3 years or so, found it a bit of a pain cleaning it and refilling every few days. Then tried it turned down to zero with no water. A bit unpleasant for the first week, but soon got used to it. Much more convenient witout it, particularly when travelling. Haven't filled it or it turned it on for 5 years now. Each year at the start of the cooler weather I am tempted to use it, but haven't yet.

KenD
Bisbane Australia
Machine : Fisher and Paykel HC221
Mask : Breeze Sleepgear Nasal Pillows
Pressure : 11.0
Commenced : 2002

BMW Cruiser

Post by BMW Cruiser » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:48 am

When i was just a CPAP larvae, I used the humifier 100%. I use a full face mask and the humidity would collect on my moustache and wake me (probably like touching a cats wiskers). Then I realized you only need the humidifier when the air is dry.