POLL-How much do you use your humidifier????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How much do you use your humidifier?????

25% of the time
3%
50% of the time
3%
75% of the time
4%
100% of the time
78%
Never use it
11%

Total votes: 272

SaltLakeJan

Re: POLL-How much do you use your humidifier????

Post by SaltLakeJan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:07 pm

When I started cpap in January, it wasn't long before I had raw places in my nares . . . they soon became deep sores.
Couldn't get them to heal, & had to stop cpap several times when they were too raw. I changed sleep dr.'s in May. He told me I needed the super humidification that was only available with Fisher & Paykel 608. It also has a heated hose. I have kept it on 2.5 since May, 100% of the time. My nares finally healed. Recently I decided to reduce the humidification to 2. The same night I got chipmunk cheeks. Not sure if the air in my cheeks was caused by the reduction in humidity, I turned it make to 2.5. The excess air vanished. I plan to continue using humidity 100% of the time.

Jan

mattman

Post by mattman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Never use it.

I tried it the first few nights and then decided to try without. The first week or so my nose hurt but after that it hurt less and less and now doesn't bother me at all. I think my nasal passages just needed to get 'toughened up'. I'm very glad I did it since now I don't have to worry about cleaning it or keeping distilled water around or any of that. And travelling is obviously a breeze.

DannyP

Post by DannyP » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:37 am

I use mine 100% of the time even with the High Humidity here in East Texasbut the settings Vary with the seasons. I normally run mine on 1 or 2 but sometimes on three in the colder months.

newname

Post by newname » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:11 pm

I never use it. I can't stand the hot air.

tgzlavistane

Post by tgzlavistane » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 pm

I seem to get a dry sore throat if I do not use my Humidifier. I really enjoy the the effects of the Humidifier in the cold and dry Winter Months. I usually start on a lower setting when going to bed and sometimes like to crank it up a few notches if I wake up in the early morning hours and want to nod off for another hour or so. The comfort of that warm moist refreshing air makes it really hard to get out of bed.

WindFlyer

Post by WindFlyer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:47 pm

I only use my humidifier in the non-summer months. I take it out of circuit in May and put it back in again in September.

40,000 hours on CPAP
100% Compliant for 15 yrs.+

Mask breathers unite!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:03 pm

I just started therapy in May. I need a setting of 3 or 4. If I don't use the moisture I dry out something fierce and I am absolutely miserable. Runny nose, itchy nose, congestion like someone stuck wads of cotton in there. I tried once a setting of 1 and that happened. Once I forgot to refill the humdifier and it happened. Both times it took me 3 days to get back to normal. I dread winter when the air is drier even more. My machine doesn't go over 5.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:24 pm

I used my M-Series humidifier from Day One, usually set anywhere from 3-5. It's super dry here in Aridzona.

Bought myself an F&P HC150 not long ago, and I was using that with a setting of between 1 and 1.5 with my nasal pillows mask.

But now that I'm using the FullLife, the warm air in the mask was too much heat for me with the summer weather. So I'm now using the humidifier in passover mode, and it's working out well. I'll turn the heat on again when the weather changes.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:06 pm

Pugsy wrote:...dread winter when the air is drier even more. My machine doesn't go over 5.
Might have to start using one of the sprays with moisturizer or Ayr's (sp?) or some such in winter. I've read that any water-soluble moistuziercan be used but somehow I don't think they meant AstroGlide

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:39 am

I use mine every night, but I don't put water in it anymore. I use it because it makes the machine quieter. if I do mouthbreath a little I have ice water setting by the machine, I also keep the bedroom at 65 degrees or colder year around. When and if I do use water in it, I use it turned off, in the passover mode. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:56 am

Muse-Inc wrote: Might have to start using one of the sprays with moisturizer or Ayr's (sp?) or some such in winter. I've read that any water-soluble moistuziercan be used but somehow I don't think they meant AstroGlide
I will keep the Ayers thing in mind this winter. I have a basement bedroom. So temperature variances and hopefully humidity variances will be at a minimum. I could also add a small room humidifier to add a little more moisture.

Too bad AstroGlide wouldn't work. Could kill 2 birds with one stone there.....

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

2flamingos

Post by 2flamingos » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Even here in Lower Alabama, where the temps are high and air is moist, I use my heated humidifier every night. In fact, lately, I have turned it up to about 3.5 and have had very little rainout.

Old enough to know better

Karma is a Wonderful Thing.

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:33 am

I had to say 75% of the time.
While home I do use it most of the time, but in winter a lot of the time the air is moist enough I don't use it.
Most of the time when I travel it's to the coast so I don't even take it with me as there is enough humidity to take care of it.
I never have to set it over 1 to be effective.
I'd actually prefer not to use it at all. I've always preferred to sleep in a very cold room breathing cold air - I didn't even like putting my head under covers when it was freezing. It took me awhile to get comfortable with warm air so when I leave it off in the winter I really like it!!!!

cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

Rustyolddude

Post by Rustyolddude » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:28 am

Leave mine set to 1 all the time.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:43 pm

Pugsy wrote:I just started therapy in May. I need a setting of 3 or 4. If I don't use the moisture I dry out something fierce and I am absolutely miserable. Runny nose, itchy nose, congestion like someone stuck wads of cotton in there. I tried once a setting of 1 and that happened. Once I forgot to refill the humdifier and it happened. Both times it took me 3 days to get back to normal. I dread winter when the air is drier even more. My machine doesn't go over 5.

Wow, I don't know how you can do it. I would drown in water if I ever cranked that much humidity in. Here in the central valley of CA it is currently 88*F and 8% relative humidity outside. Inside is 76/ 31%. I used to use a setting of 1, but often used a passive setting of zero. For several months, I have not even added water. The excess moisture causes leaks and discomfort. I do use a fleece hose cover, no heated hose.