Solution for Swift side sleepers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WAFlowers

Post by WAFlowers » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:01 am

Tridens wrote:I'm securing it to only one buckle the one on the top of your head, not the one toward the back of your neck. The buckle has two slits in it (the same slits in which the headgear is routed that gives you the ability to tighten or loosen the straps). From the underside of the buckle, I just pushed an end of the velcro strap into the slit (right along side of the headgear strap). It's a little snug, which is why you want to properly adjust your headgear first, but it will fit). Then do the same thing with the other end of the velcro strap and the other slit in the same buckle. When you're done, you should have both ends of the velcro strap protruding out the top side of the buckle. Place the hose between these to ends and connect the ends to secure the hose. You'll end up with plenty of hose that naturally forms the C, which is the beauty of this...it does it itself. While you can adjust the C a little by twisting the Swift hose where it enters the cylinder, I found little need to. It's basically "Plug n Play." The rotating connector on the end of the Swift's hose protrudes nicely from the velcro enclosure, making it easy to switch connection points on the cylinder without having to twist or play with the hose (especially if you secure the Velcro directly over the rubber end of the main tubing as I recommend).
Based on your previous description I did it the way you describe in detail above last night. It worked well and I spent part of the night on each side successfully.

The beauty of your suggestion is that the hose is at right angles to the over-the-head strap. This forces the hose to curve out away from your face then up and over your head. This keeps it out of the way for side sleepers.

I already had the hose routed that way but was holding it in a much less elegant manner.

Thanks!

The CPAPer formerly known as WAFlowers

ufo13

Tridens.........Swift hose method!

Post by ufo13 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:56 pm

Tridens:

Just as i suspected YOUR idea worked so well last night it's just not real!!!! also could sleep on my right side again - no problem with either the hose or exhaust blowing on my wife! I have been on cpap for 11 yrs and i found that the simple but BRILLIANT ideas work the best and yours is one of them! the only other problem i had before the fix was where the connectors joined (cpap & mask hose) keep getting caught on the back of the pillow etc. But your placement does away with that problem. also YOUR placement makes the Swift interface feel much more secure! maybe RESMED will pick up on your idea and put it in thier inst. booklet and give due credit to where it came from (Tridens)!

Again thank you for sharing this beautiful idea with ALL of us!

the best to you,

steve,
ufo13

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:51 pm

Back when the Swift was first being introduced TalkAboutSleep had Allen Ehrlich, ResMed’s Senior Product Manager of Masks come for a "live chat."
I submitted a question:

40. Has ResMed considered making a third optional spot to attach the Mirage Swift's hose, for example, in the center?

The answer:
No, we have no plans to change the design of the Mirage Swift. The side position of the hose (tubing) allows for greater flexibility to change the position of the tubing. Additionally, with the tubing at the side, it does not cover up the mouth.

I suppose he didn't realize that a lot of people like to route a hose up and not have it be against the side of the face. Or that there are ways (as our resourceful unpaid lab rats have shown!) to have a hose sit outward enough that it wouldn't "cover up the mouth" even if routed down.

The entire chat (an infomercial as are most "product chats", imho) is at:

TAS Swift Chat - Nov. 2004

Even "as is" the Swift is an interface that suits many. Good one for a new user to start with, or an old user to try. I didn't like the Swift for reasons that had nothing to do with the hose, but I do think it's an excellent interface for most people.

lola

Post by lola » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:20 pm

OK I am totally fixing my Swift like this as soon as I get it! I just don't get to sleep well unless I've "settled in" on each side first. And I kind of like to hug the pillow too.

It's sheer genuis!

This fat lady's NOT singing! And soon not snoring either. ;)

UKnowWhatInSeattle

Post by UKnowWhatInSeattle » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:30 am

I add my thanks for this subtle, but effective configuration change. I'm finding the seal is more consistent through the night and I don't perceive as much noise. I guess having the tube in contact with more of the side of your face probably transfers more noise... Anyway, good job Swift Hackers!

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:55 am

What I do is take the hose and put it under my first top button on my night-shirt....It holds the hose in place for me. I prefer having the hose pointed down and under my arm instead of over my head. I use several pillows and one is usually at the top of my head so this makes a top orientation problematic. For what this may be worth...

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:44 pm

Bump

Sue J

Post by Sue J » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm a "Swiftie" too, and I plan to try this nifty sounding tip tonight. I will let you know tomorrow how it worked.
In any case, it's an ingenious idea and I'll thank you now for sharing it with your fellow Pappers -

Sue J

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:30 pm

....OK - I said I would try the Swift tip and report on it today. This one change made the Swift just about perfect...it works beautifully!. I just can't thank you enough for posting it...such a small little strip of velcro, but what a difference a place makes, huh .

Best,
Sue J

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:57 pm

So glad someone bumped this one up! I made the switch months ago and WOW, what a difference!!! This adaptation allows you to sleep and move so freely!!! Like someone said, sheer genious!!! A pure perfect mask now!
If you are a Swift user, you HAVE to make this adaptation!!!

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:55 pm

I hate to be a nay sayer, but the Swift just doesn't work for me. This tip solves the problem of only being able to sleep on one side, true. I can get a comfortable feel between the headgear and barrel/pillows if I'm not lying down. But as soon as the barrel touches the pillow with a little pressure, it moves the other side of the barrel off/out of the nare. So I end up with a nice seal on the pillow side, but the opposite side is out of position and leaks. Oh well, I love the Aura.

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:44 pm

Sorry the Swift alteration doesn't seem to help you, Linda. Maybe I do not get any shifting of the barrel when I snuggle into my pillows because of the pillows I use? I use the "Shapable" pillows from Target and they sure seem to reduce pressure points. (Must be the type of fill in "um or something!) But I like the Aura too because of the top venting, that's for sure! Just can't wear it night after night due to it pulling my hair out! I've seriously been thinking about trying the CL2?

Sleepless in St. Louis

Post by Sleepless in St. Louis » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:58 pm

This tip for putting the hose on top is brilliant. Say again: Brilliant.
I've switched mine over to it 2 nights ago and I'm back in business as a side sleeper. That tube running up the side of face before could always be felt. Now, once I close my eyes the mask is much less noticable. Thanks again to the person who figured this mod out. Now why could not the company who designed the Swift figure this out? They probably have a couple of highly paid engineers on their staff whose job it is to think outside of the tube er box. Maybe it's only xpap users who are motivated enough to come up with stuff like this. We're actually living this stuff. It's not on the drawing board it's in our beds.

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:22 pm

They don't ever try to sleep with it, they put it on a dummies head and say - "that look's good!". RG said she brought it up to someone that this just dismissed her. Just a like a sportswriter that never tried to pitch to Albert Pujols - they know better even if they've never done it. That just has to be the same thing with all these interfaces or they are being stupid or, worse yet, they are being clearly manipulative and duplicitous. Unfortunately the cynic in me says the latter is the more likely. $$$$$$

Silly! or slyly bent! - take your pick.

SB

Sleepless in St. Louis

Post by Sleepless in St. Louis » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:31 pm

This is OT, but Speaking of Abert, he just went deep again about 5 minutes ago in Pittsburgh. Why do they keep pitching to this guy? I was at the game Sun when he went yard 3 times. What a trip.