Solution for Swift side sleepers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:56 pm

Sleepless in St. Louis wrote:Maybe it's only xpap users who are motivated enough to come up with stuff like this. We're actually living this stuff. It's not on the drawing board it's in our beds.
You've got that right, St. Louis!

I've often said, only half jokingly, that every CEO, every mask designer, every product manager, all their wives and children...ALL of them...ought to have to sleep in the masks they come out with. Sleep all night, every night, for one week, at a pressure of 10. Wouldn't hurt them a bit. Except where it gouged a hole in the bridge of the nose.

Some of the leaky, face denting things they put out there that roll in the big bucks might never have seen the light of day if THEY...the manufacturers...actually tried to sleep with their own stuff on THEMSELVES.

P.S. And don't tell them how to hang the hose up out of the way. Let them figure that out the hard way.

john5757

Post by john5757 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:37 pm

Sleepless in St. Louis wrote:This tip for putting the hose on top is brilliant. Say again: Brilliant.
I've switched mine over to it 2 nights ago and I'm back in business as a side sleeper. That tube running up the side of face before could always be felt. Now, once I close my eyes the mask is much less noticable. Thanks again to the person who figured this mod out. Now why could not the company who designed the Swift figure this out? They probably have a couple of highly paid engineers on their staff whose job it is to think outside of the tube er box. Maybe it's only xpap users who are motivated enough to come up with stuff like this. We're actually living this stuff. It's not on the drawing board it's in our beds.
Actually the Swift did came with velco strap but did not tell the best way to use it for sleeping at least they provided the part that is needed all included. Gee I was looking for the right hacksaw blade in the house for another of those brand new supposedly higly developed Mask and I still need to transplant a ResMed hose part to the Respironics mask to make it a hybird mask of two companies to make it work well.
I do not understand why can Respironics hire Rested Gal for a few days. Just a small handful of bright people instead of tying to re engineer the stupid elbow piece and it would save the company a lot of money.

With the sharing of ideas I glad that RG is hear to give insight to new ideas to make things work better and now I have masks that I can conformably sleep with.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): respironics, resmed, hose, swift

dkumlien

Solution for Swift side sleepers

Post by dkumlien » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:10 am

As a new CPAP user and a side sleeper, I quickly went from a full face mask to the Swift, only to find that it came loose and woke me, or I slept on the hose, and it woke me. I spent as much time readjusting the nose pillows to prevent leaking as I did sleeping. I read Tridends simple recommendation for routing the hose and what a difference. I don't get tangled in the hose, anymore, and with the head strap that goes closest to your neck relatively snug, and the top strap (where the hose is now attached), just comfortable, I am able to use any pillow and not have the system leak. Thank you for a decent night's sleep.

MandoJohnny

Never Had a Problem

Post by MandoJohnny » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:44 pm

This is a nifty idea idea and I applaud it. I hope it helps some people.

However, I am a Swift user and a side sleeper and have never had a problem. I just route the hose on the opposite side of the side I sleep on. I can only sleep on my right side.

I guess this solution is for people who switch sides a lot. Is that pretty common with some people?

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:50 pm

I have been using the Swift for almost 6 months now and have no problems with side sleeping and the hose. I do have it routed through a scrunch and hook over the bed but not over my head and I do not get tangled up in it, ever (knock on wood). It has been great so far.

David

Only go straight, don't know.

kteague

Hose arrangement

Post by kteague » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:49 am

Lori - Thank your lovely daughter for her willingness to help. She makes the headgear look like a fashion statement. I hope the lady who was in the chatroom about a week ago whose three year old daughter fought the headgear will see this picture and show it to her little girl, or one of the other chatters will remember her name and IM her. Tell your daughter she may be more help than she even imagined.
Kathy

Sleepless on LI

Re: Hose arrangement

Post by Sleepless on LI » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:43 am

kteague wrote:Lori - Thank your lovely daughter for her willingness to help. She makes the headgear look like a fashion statement. I hope the lady who was in the chatroom about a week ago whose three year old daughter fought the headgear will see this picture and show it to her little girl, or one of the other chatters will remember her name and IM her. Tell your daughter she may be more help than she even imagined.
Kathy
Kathy,

Thank you so much for the sweet words. I will tell Morgan. She is now a teenager since she took those photos almost a year ago and when I got the link to this thread being active the other day, I called her in to look at them again. We laughed. Her remark was, "I look so young!" Like at 13, you could look old???
L o R i

bsil

Post by bsil » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:27 am

Tridens and Lori-
Thanks for your teamwork! I can't believe it, but I slept straight thru the night...1st time since started apap 6 weeks ago. It must have been the mask improvement...or maybe the 4th of July Pinot Grigio! LOL
Thanks to both of you,
Barb

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:27 am

Barb,

Thanks, but you owe the Pinot Grigio to Tridens. All we did was take the photos for the visuals. So happy for you that you're sleeping so well. It's such a beautiful thing when you get a mask to cooperative well enough to allow you to get a good night's sleep. Hope your success continues!
L o R i

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:29 pm

Belatedly, but most deservedly...to Tridens for such a great idea. And thanks to Lori's daughter for being such a good sport about modeling it.

tiredintexas

thanks for bringing this post back up

Post by tiredintexas » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:54 pm

I just wanted to thank you for bringing this post back to the forefront of the forum. I've been on cpap since May using the Swift. Hadn't had much trouble until recently with leaks and loosing the mask at night. Have been testing out the Ultra Mirage FF mask and am waiting until insurance will actually pay for it to buy it. I found this post a couple of weeks ago and printed it all out to try. One day last week I decided to "Just do it" and it worked. I was so excited. My Swift now stays on at night and I can enjoy my sleep again. I had even resorted to having my pressure lowered to see if that would help with the problem. Thanks to Tridens and Sleepless on LI's daughter for the pictures to help with the visual for those of us who are visual. I had been reading about the pony tail holders but didn't fully understand until I saw the pictures. I always had my staps ride up my head in the back until I tried routing my hose the way Tridens suggested. So Thanks very much. Also, thanks to everyone who post here to help new users get information.

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:03 pm

Tridens hint and Lori's photos were great for me too!
Sure made sleeping with Swift soooo much easier for me as a side sleeper!

overwhelmed

swift question

Post by overwhelmed » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:09 pm

Thanks so much for the info about running the hose over the head. Sounds like a great idea. Another question, how do you keep the 6 ft hose from hitting on top of your head all night long. I know some people suspend it, but I don't have a clue where to start. I like the hose above my head so I can toss and turn freely, but always felt like it was knocking me in the head. Tried putting behind pillow, and that didn't work, it just binds it up. Just found this website today and am so thankful for it. I have been on cpap for 3 weeks and like swift but have had many probs: downward pull of hose pulls seal from nose, hose very uncomfortable to route up the cheek like manufacturer suggests, rigid mask part digs into face, did I mention the baseball hose on top of the head? Thanks for the brillant ideas and pictures.

I would like to buy a used Activa and Aura somewhere, but how do you disenfect the thing once you get the used mask from someone else? Guess that thought kind of scares me, but would like to only buy new masks after I make sure they are worth the investment. Thanks

wolftracker

Check out these hangers

Post by wolftracker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:13 pm

viewtopic.php?t=10640&highlight=pvc

there are a number of ways to do it ... a pvc hanger and
hair crunch was easy ... i can not make anything and I
made one ... works great and is portable for when you go
away

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:16 pm