Anyone "take breaks" from their CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RipVanWinkleWannabe

Anyone "take breaks" from their CPAP?

Post by RipVanWinkleWannabe » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm going on a cruise in September and, frankly, don't feel like messing with dragging my machine/hose/mask on the plane/shuttle/ship. Then I need to get some distilled water at some point. Thinking seriously about leaving it at home and going CPAP-less that week. Anyone else do this occasionally?

SeaPappy

Re: Anyone "take breaks" from their CPAP?

Post by SeaPappy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:53 pm

Tried it once about 8 years ago when I was new to all this........never even thought about it again. If I'm gone overnight, my machine tags along. It's a small price to pay to wake up rested and without a sore throat.
When I woke up this morning my girlfriend asked me, 'Did you sleep good?' I said 'No, I made a few mistakes.'
Steven Wright

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:58 pm

RipVanWinkleWannabe wrote:I'm going on a cruise in September and, frankly, don't feel like messing with dragging my machine/hose/mask on the plane/shuttle/ship. Then I need to get some distilled water at some point. Thinking seriously about leaving it at home and going CPAP-less that week. Anyone else do this occasionally?
Take a CPAP break? Never! I remember what it was like pre-CPAP and have no interest in going back there.

You are seriously pampered on a cruise... so you can request that distilled water be made available in your cabin.

harry33

Post by harry33 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:10 pm

I sometimes miss 1 night when travelling but a week will bring back the fatigue and other problems and may spoil your cruise
the humidifier isnt essential so perhaps do without it, I think they have been overpromoted
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

mikee

Post by mikee » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Rip, take it with you, the hassle is not worth the lack of therapy you'll miss. I've only been on cpap 6 months and would not even think of leaving my "Buddy" at home. You can get by without using distilled water for a week. Have a great time Sail away
I'm not a cowboy, I just found the hat...

RipVanWinkleWannabe

Post by RipVanWinkleWannabe » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:22 pm

You guys are no help!!

mikee

Post by mikee » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:27 pm

RipVanWinkleWannabe wrote:You guys are no help!!
Ok, buy me an airline ticket and get me a cabin with a window and i'll pack your pap.

Now that's funny, i don't care who you are
I'm not a cowboy, I just found the hat...

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Distilled water is easy aboard ship. Just ask for it. Call the cruise line ahead of time and it will be there waiting for you. I took my CPAP to the Bahamas, St Lucia, Florida, Arizona, Connecticut, Maryland, you name it. I put mine in the bag that came with it. It's padded and has room for my hose, mask, books, etc. It has never been an issue. That bag also has the company logo on it. Looks very official.

You WIFE will have a better time on the cruise if you take that machine with you. Otherwise, she won't sleep. OR..... maybe if you take a break from your CPAP, you'll feel so crappy that you'll need a nap mid day and she'll be up on the Lido Deck downing Mai Tais with Tony the masseuse.

You can probably leave the humidifier at home. Especially if you have an outside cabin. If you have an inside cabin there is a *slight* chance that the air conditioning will dry it out enough to make you want your humidifier. It's not happened to me but I could see it as a possibility. At sea tends to be humid enough that you don't need extra.

Your beliefs are the filters that shape your reality. This is only difficult if you believe it's difficult. Otherwise.... it simply is what it is.

DBoone

Post by DBoone » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:45 pm

I would never go without it. Something about waking up with one side of my body not working just doesn't sound appealing to me. The risk is just too great.
Masks I've tried but didn't like :
FlexiFit HC405 - couldn't stop the leaks

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:51 pm

Oh sure, a break is fine. The guys took this shot of me coming in to the office after a one night break.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Pick a week between now and September and give it a try. If your therapy has been working, I guarantee you will rethink your plan.

Snorebert

Post by Snorebert » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:14 pm

My first trip after starting CPAP was an extended weekend to DC. I decided that CPAP was to big and bulky to lug along so it stayed home. After two days, I hardly had enough energy to leave the hotel room and was scared that I wouldn't have the energy to make it back home. Never again will I leave home without it.

Take it!
There are two rules of life. The first is don't tell everything that you know.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:20 pm

I won't even consider taking a nap without using CPAP.

yubaz

Post by yubaz » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:26 pm

Fred on my head in bed is better than dead.

I nicknamed my cpap Fred.
Why would I take a break from breathing? Ever?

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Never