Looking for empathy!! Nasal congestion

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eudofair

Re: Looking for empathy!! Nasal congestion

Post by eudofair » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:15 am

I've been in much the same boat. The saline sprays vary in concentration of salt. I have to use a 2.3 % solution if I am extremely swollen. Ordinarily the cheap 0.9% spray helps to clear out anything that might be causing it. Since I've been on this new CPAP machine with the fine filters, things have been much better, although I've found myself sensitive to something in two of the detergents I've used to clean the mask and tubing. Once I found a product with minimal additions I've been much better. I use a full face mask and do not hope to halt mouth breathing, just minimize it as much as I can. Good luck with your situation.

Eudofair

garyland

Post by garyland » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:26 am

I tried many of the cortisone sprays. They work hit and miss with me. They also make the back of my throat very dry.

Thanks,
Gary
dllfo wrote:I use Nasonex. Prescription type. I searched for some info since my memory is not 100% reliable these days. IF you have an inflammation, this might be of some help. It is a Corticosteroid and you should read about it before trying. It has its own side effects. I was tested in 2000 and told I have quite a few allergies. Then I was tested at the #1 Respiratory hospital in the USA in 2007. They said I did not have ANY allergies!!!! I am going to be tested next week for allergies.
I admit I am curious to see what we find. I take 360mg of Allegra (antihistamine) a day, but have had to quit it for a ten day stretch prior to my next allergy test.

"Nasonex nasal spray prevents and relieves the runny, stuffy nose that accompanies hay fever and year-round allergies. It contains a steroid medication that fights inflammation."

Another "long shot" might be a sinus problem of some kind?

You can email the National Jewish Hospital in Denver, CO. They have a program wherein you can ask a couple questions a year for free. If you lack a good health plan, they even take patients for free. Here is there web address. I spent over a month with them in 2007 and they ARE the best in their field.
http://www.nationaljewish.org/

Good luck...Dave

garyland

Post by garyland » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:43 pm

thanks
dllfo wrote:I use Nasonex. Prescription type. I searched for some info since my memory is not 100% reliable these days. IF you have an inflammation, this might be of some help. It is a Corticosteroid and you should read about it before trying. It has its own side effects. I was tested in 2000 and told I have quite a few allergies. Then I was tested at the #1 Respiratory hospital in the USA in 2007. They said I did not have ANY allergies!!!! I am going to be tested next week for allergies.
I admit I am curious to see what we find. I take 360mg of Allegra (antihistamine) a day, but have had to quit it for a ten day stretch prior to my next allergy test.

"Nasonex nasal spray prevents and relieves the runny, stuffy nose that accompanies hay fever and year-round allergies. It contains a steroid medication that fights inflammation."

Another "long shot" might be a sinus problem of some kind?

You can email the National Jewish Hospital in Denver, CO. They have a program wherein you can ask a couple questions a year for free. If you lack a good health plan, they even take patients for free. Here is there web address. I spent over a month with them in 2007 and they ARE the best in their field.
http://www.nationaljewish.org/

Good luck...Dave

JayR_1945

Post by JayR_1945 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:57 pm

My name is Jay(noisey bird) because I made these funny chirping sounds when I breathed. Mom had a sense of humor, thought I was trying to vocalize. Today, they would recognise this as infant apnea. At the age of two my dad told my mon to get this kid out and get a T&A done. They did that. Also had a UPPP 15 years ago and put on CPAP.

The Corticosteroid/antihistamine sprays don't work for me. I do use a vaporizer during the winter, and recently the Nielmed nose gargle (seems to help but doesn't fix it). An early test for alergins found no alergies. Think they want to do it again.
I have a history of ear infections as youngster, Class II maloclusion(Overbight), poor teath, tinnitus, a few stress related episodes of Vetrigo and at 60 deafness in one ear. I suspect an chronic inflamition response.

Haven't tried surgery yet, but that's next. The only thing I've found that really works is Afrin. Yes, I hear the concern over the dreaded "rebound" effect. However, the ENT folks use Afrin to open my nose so he can get pair of pliers and flashlight up my nose for a look-see, then comlain about a rebound effect. Hooey, pure hooey.
And, one ENT had me do a test. Afrin in one nostril and nothing in the other. Yes, one clear nostril is all I need for the CPAP to work. But after two weeks, the nostril with no Afrin was still congested. The rebound effect is a moot issue.
I don't really recommend using Afrin except as a test. Then have a serious talk with the ENT folks.

So, yes I really empathise here. If the nose doesn't work really well, the CPAP machine is not worth a hoot. Really frustrating.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz...........
Jay R.
I am a Systems Engineer/Researcher, and Navy Veteran/ I am not a doctor. All of my suggestions are from my own experience and research. For medical advice, talk to your health care professional. They are good people and could use the work.

garyland

Post by garyland » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:06 pm

So, yes I really empathise here. If the nose doesn't work really well, the CPAP machine is not worth a hoot. Really frustrating.
I agree.

Gary

JayR_1945 wrote:My name is Jay(noisey bird) because I made these funny chirping sounds when I breathed. Mom had a sense of humor, thought I was trying to vocalize. Today, they would recognise this as infant apnea. At the age of two my dad told my mon to get this kid out and get a T&A done. They did that. Also had a UPPP 15 years ago and put on CPAP.

The Corticosteroid/antihistamine sprays don't work for me. I do use a vaporizer during the winter, and recently the Nielmed nose gargle (seems to help but doesn't fix it). An early test for alergins found no alergies. Think they want to do it again.
I have a history of ear infections as youngster, Class II maloclusion(Overbight), poor teath, tinnitus, a few stress related episodes of Vetrigo and at 60 deafness in one ear. I suspect an chronic inflamition response.

Haven't tried surgery yet, but that's next. The only thing I've found that really works is Afrin. Yes, I hear the concern over the dreaded "rebound" effect. However, the ENT folks use Afrin to open my nose so he can get pair of pliers and flashlight up my nose for a look-see, then comlain about a rebound effect. Hooey, pure hooey.
And, one ENT had me do a test. Afrin in one nostril and nothing in the other. Yes, one clear nostril is all I need for the CPAP to work. But after two weeks, the nostril with no Afrin was still congested. The rebound effect is a moot issue.
I don't really recommend using Afrin except as a test. Then have a serious talk with the ENT folks.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz...........

riverdreamer

Post by riverdreamer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:21 pm

Just a couple of thoughts to add to the list for you.

Since you seem to have the problem when trying to sleep, have you considered your pillow as a possible problem? Pillows can become full of dust mite droppings, mold spores, and all kinds of other possible causes of sinus inflammation. One study found that as much as HALF the weight of a feather or down pillow could be mold or dust mite droppings.

Yeah, kind of sickening.

The solution was to wash the pillow weekly in HOT water, and then dry for a very extended period, replace the pillows frequently, and/or try some of the types that do not support dust mite or mold growth. Those are latex foam, possibly some other types, but I can't recall off the top of my head. Some also recommend dust mite covers for the pillows and mattress. Obviously, the mattress has the same possible problem, but you can use mattress pads to protect it from the worst.

I don't know if this is impacting you, but it could be. Wouldn't hurt to check.

enso

Post by enso » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:35 pm

garyland wrote:That is a great question.

1) I don't want to take any benzodiazepines (sedatives) prior/with surgery as I was once addicted.
2) Since I don't/can't mouth breathe at night i must breathe thru my nose or not sleep at all.
3) the recovery requires some time being congested and not nose breathing so i would be sleep deprived for a week or two.
First surgery was septoplasty, 2nd one was septoplasty and turbinate reduction. Both times the splints came out in 2 days, and I could breathe quite fine through my nose at that point. The two days were kinda miserable, but between anesthetic and surgery after effects, medication, and plenty of books, movies, and other distractions, I made it. Even slept. I bet you can too!

Have you discussed your concerns with an ENT dr or 2 to get their advice?

garyland

Post by garyland » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:38 pm

I have a second opinion appointment set for June 18th

Gary
enso wrote:
garyland wrote:That is a great question.

1) I don't want to take any benzodiazepines (sedatives) prior/with surgery as I was once addicted.
2) Since I don't/can't mouth breathe at night i must breathe thru my nose or not sleep at all.
3) the recovery requires some time being congested and not nose breathing so i would be sleep deprived for a week or two.
First surgery was septoplasty, 2nd one was septoplasty and turbinate reduction. Both times the splints came out in 2 days, and I could breathe quite fine through my nose at that point. The two days were kinda miserable, but between anesthetic and surgery after effects, medication, and plenty of books, movies, and other distractions, I made it. Even slept. I bet you can too!

Have you discussed your concerns with an ENT dr or 2 to get their advice?

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:41 am

garyland wrote:So are there any out there that just live with a problem of off and on congestion during the night with fragmented sleep and just live with it. I would like to know that I am not alone here with this problem. Just hearing from others will make me feel a little better.

Thanks,
Gary
You're NOT alone!

I've been living with a "stuffy nose" for as long as I can remember (I'm 55). It's been a real PITA at times, but I've never really given it much thought........until last night. Last night was my second night w/my cpap, and the first time with a stuffy nose. I woke up gasping for breath and had to rip the mask off my face!
I've tried quite a few things over the years, and none of them really helped all that much except for cold medicine, and ya' can't take that every night. The next best thing, in my case, are those "stop snoring strips" you stick on your nose to help keep the nostrils open. They DO, do a decent job most nights, but I can't wear one every night either, because I break out from the glue on the strips.
Sorry I couldn't be any help, but at least you know you're not alone!

garyland

Post by garyland » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:50 am

Thanks for the support. I have to admit that my situation is made worse by my OCD. Oh well, what can you do?

Gary
Komodo wrote:
garyland wrote:So are there any out there that just live with a problem of off and on congestion during the night with fragmented sleep and just live with it. I would like to know that I am not alone here with this problem. Just hearing from others will make me feel a little better.

Thanks,
Gary
You're NOT alone!

I've been living with a "stuffy nose" for as long as I can remember (I'm 55). It's been a real PITA at times, but I've never really given it much thought........until last night. Last night was my second night w/my cpap, and the first time with a stuffy nose. I woke up gasping for breath and had to rip the mask off my face!
I've tried quite a few things over the years, and none of them really helped all that much except for cold medicine, and ya' can't take that every night. The next best thing, in my case, are those "stop snoring strips" you stick on your nose to help keep the nostrils open. They DO, do a decent job most nights, but I can't wear one every night either, because I break out from the glue on the strips.
Sorry I couldn't be any help, but at least you know you're not alone!

sagesteve

Post by sagesteve » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:39 am

This will work! Don't let it scare you off...just DO IT!: http://www.sinusbuster.com/allergy-buster.html Use the Allergy buster because it does many things besides just allergies. Saline won't work for your problem...this will.

garyland

Post by garyland » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:09 pm

I tried that stuff. It burns like a son of a (w)itch!!

Gary
sagesteve wrote:This will work! Don't let it scare you off...just DO IT!: http://www.sinusbuster.com/allergy-buster.html Use the Allergy buster because it does many things besides just allergies. Saline won't work for your problem...this will.

sagesteve

Post by sagesteve » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Yeah but it works! And it only "smarts" Won't hurt you.