Nostrils getting larger?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gems

Re: Nostrils getting larger?

Post by gems » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:33 am

It is possible to stretch the nostrils wider permanently using the nasal pillows. The same concept applies to ear lobe plugs. My suggestion would be to try a nose mask instead. However, if you prefer the pillows, use the "Small" pillows with the least head band tension for the least amount of time. Also, take one to two days off the CPAP machine each week. Just make sure that you are a few percentage points above your required usage rate for the machine.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:41 am

gems wrote:take one to two days off the CPAP machine each week
Idiot. You won't find any support for this stupidest of ideas.

Leland1

Post by Leland1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:10 pm

YES THE PILLOW TYPE CAN ENLARGE YOUR NOSE. I used mine for two years before realizing that it was actually stretching the skin on either side of the bridge of my nose. I spoke to the respirotory therapist and her answer was " it doesn't do that to EVERYONE" Well my pressures were too high because I was told after the fact that if you turn your machine on before putting it on your face that the machine detects an air leak and goes to full pressure and now I have pouches on both sides of my nose that are even more noticeable when I smile. I'm very upset that this was not explained to me and I should have been told that an enlarged nose was a possibility with this type of apparatus in which case I would not have even considered it's use.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:12 am

Leland1 wrote:YES THE PILLOW TYPE CAN ENLARGE YOUR NOSE.blah blah blah blah
alternatively.. noses keep getting bigger as you get older.

you're just getting old.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:12 am

After several years using nasal pillows, I use the same size pillows.
Nasal pillows should never be shoved all the way into the nose--any provider who does this is HARMING YOU.
If you have pouches on either side of the nose, it might call for a lymphedema consult.
In this case, the problem is not fat, but FLUID, and could cause damage if not seen to.
It is very unlikely that cpap or your mask type has anything to do with it.
See your doctor, please. Not the DME.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:41 am

I have used nothing but a nasal pillow mask for over 8 years now....still wear a size Small or XSmall just like I did when I started therapy.
If nasal pillows are causing deformity of the nostrils then they aren't being worn correctly and likely getting shoved up into the nostrils and that simply is incorrect fitting. If they can crawl up inside the nostril...the size used is too small.
Nasal pillows will effectively seal by just gently resting and the nostrils and with nothing at all touching the insides of the nostrils.
Anything else is incorrect sizing and/or incorrect fitting...usually too tight is the culprit.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.