Anyone using nasal pillows with no C-flex? UPDATE!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FatiguedMe

Anyone using nasal pillows with no C-flex? UPDATE!

Post by FatiguedMe » Mon May 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Just wondering, because I am considering trying it without C-Flex just to see how I do. So please let me know if you have and the experience for you.
Thank you

Last edited by FatiguedMe on Tue May 26, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BleepingBeauty

Re: Anyone using nasal pillows with no C-flex?

Post by BleepingBeauty » Mon May 25, 2009 2:02 pm

FatiguedMe wrote:Just wondering, because I am considering trying it without C-Flex just to see how I do. So please let me know if you have and the experience for you.
Thank you
Hi, Fatigued. The only time I haven't used C-Flex was during my recent sleep study. I found it very difficult to exhale, and the tech then put the C-Flex in gear at my usual setting. I assume I'd get used to the added strain of exhale after a few nights of not using C-Flex, but I haven't tried it. I like the exhale relief.

I suppose if I had data and was concerned about my numbers, I'd try not using the C-Flex to see if it made a difference. Sorry I can't be of more help.

P.S. Your new avatar is cute! I saw that one in my avatar search travels recently.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:39 pm

FatiguedMe wrote:Just wondering, because I am considering trying it without C-Flex just to see how I do. So please let me know if you have and the experience for you.
Thank you
Yup--I've been using Swift LT exclusively, and "straight CPAP" with a constant pressure of 10 for 6-8 months now, I think. Used the A-flex and C-flex initially for a few months, but always felt uncomfortable with how my breathing tried to stay with the machine's rhythm while trying to go to sleep, and it was not restful. Also found both flex's to make for a noisy machine. Together with my reading here that CPAP at a constant pressure was helping some to readily achieve much lower AHI (DreamDiver, for one)--I switched and haven't looked back. My machine is now so quiet that I can't even tell it is running with straight CPAP. I have never had difficulty with breathing with the XPAP--just about 10-15 seconds of adjustment and I'm good to go every night. Try it!
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

FatiguedMe

Post by FatiguedMe » Mon May 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Thank you Bleep for replying! I will be so happy for you when you get your machine.
I am thinking of trying no c-flex mainly because I still feel like I am having apneas. (I know, I know, No data yet, hopefully next month) Just wondering if I will be blown away with the nasal pillows or I can use my Quattro. (leaky issues)
Last night I started with the Quattro and had to change because I got so hot. Night before I started with LT 4 her and had to change to Quattro because of stuffy nose on my good side. I know somewhere in time I am gonna get the whole thing workin for me!
Thank you again Bleep!

bearcatx16

Post by bearcatx16 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Greetings FM:

I have been using the LT @ 12cm H2O for 6 months. I currently do not use cflex. When I started w/the LT I used cflex @ 3 gradually weening myself off by decreasing a step at a time every 2 - 3 weeks. I don't even notice the air blowing in my nares now. Regarding the stuffy nose, if my nose is not clear I will sit on the edge of the bed, put on the LT, start the machine, and then at the end of each exhale I will swallow. My nose us usually cleared after 3 or 4 times occasionally it may take a couple of extra swallows.

Got luck as you look for cpap improvement.

Blessings

Fred
In the game of Life there is no two minute warning, just sudden death then judgment............Paraphrase Heb. 9:27 NIV
Not sure you believe in God.....just don't die.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Mon May 25, 2009 3:22 pm

FatiguedMe wrote:Thank you Bleep for replying! I will be so happy for you when you get your machine.
Thanks, me, too! And same to you, friend!
I am thinking of trying no c-flex mainly because I still feel like I am having apneas. (I know, I know, No data yet, hopefully next month) Just wondering if I will be blown away with the nasal pillows or I can use my Quattro. (leaky issues)
Last night I started with the Quattro and had to change because I got so hot. Night before I started with LT 4 her and had to change to Quattro because of stuffy nose on my good side. I know somewhere in time I am gonna get the whole thing workin for me!
Thank you again Bleep!
I should follow suit, since I think my AHI must still be pretty high, too. A gradual decrease would be the way for me to go, lowering the C-Flex setting one number at a time on a weekly basis until I can shut it off completely. But since I'll be seeing the doc in two weeks for the results of my latest sleep study, I'll wait to see what she says before changing anything. Could be I'll have an entirely different machine pretty soon (one can hope, anyway). I might also have to make another mask change, since I suspect I'm still mouth-breathing (or at least mouth-leaking) with my chinstrap. Argh...

I tried the Quattro at my sleep study, but it was leaking quite a bit. I know many here like that mask. Maybe if I had one at home and could tweak it over time, it would fit better. I don't know what size I tried at the lab, so who knows if it was the right size for me? I have a Liberty, but that one has leak issues, also. I'd much prefer to stick with my LT, but if I can't find a chinstrap that'll do the job, I'll have to bite the bullet and find something else. (I've tried taping, but it irritates my skin; in fact, I have a small scab on my face right now, where a little patch of skin went missing. I don't like the idea of taping over my lips or sealing them with Poligrip or something similar.)

Who knew CPAP therapy would be this much fun?

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer » Mon May 25, 2009 5:26 pm

I am.

I use Comfort Lite II with nasal pillows, and I've turned off C-Flex and think things have been going better since.

The Dreamer

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

73 de W0LKC

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Mon May 25, 2009 5:35 pm

I've been using nasal pillows for the last 4 years: Swift, Comfort-Lite, Swift Lt, Breeze, Opus and Aura/Headrest all without C-FLEX. I'm no fan of C-FLEX but I do accept that others like it. Pillows, regular nasal mask, full-face... I don't think that C-FLEX will care one way or the other. Try the nasal pillows both with, and without, C-FLEX and see which you prefer.
Last edited by WillSucceed on Mon May 25, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Mon May 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Add me to the list. Swift LT @13 and no c-flex. My AHI is lower with the c-flex turned off.

JeffH

junie

Post by junie » Mon May 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Wow my c-flex is on #3 I thought we needed this, well i guess we don't, Good luck to everyone.

Additional Comments: Pressure #11, FF. mask Flexifit 431 & 432, also Mirage Swift ll Nasal Pillow,
Judy

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Mon May 25, 2009 6:08 pm

Judy:
When I bought my first machine I had great hopes for C-FLEX. I was starting CPAP treatment at a pressure of 15 and really hoped that C-FLEX would give me the relief that I thought I would need to help me get used to treatment; no such luck. C-FLEX complicated things as I was having breath-stacking and would wake many times during the night panting. I turned off C-FLEX, found that things improved significantly and, I simply got used to the pressure.

Not being satisfied however, I petitioned for an auto and was able to get a PB 420E. Great little machine that, to my surprise, returned data showing that all I needed was a pressure of 8, sometimes 9, to be well treated. I went to a different clinic to be re-titrated and found that the new sleep-study agreed with the PB 420E.

So, if you have a C-FLEX (or other pressure-relief function) on your machine, certainly give it a try but also, try treatment without pressure-relief and see how you like it.
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

-wading- again

Post by -wading- again » Mon May 25, 2009 6:25 pm

WillSucceed wrote: ...C-FLEX complicated things as I was having breath-stacking and would wake many times during the night panting. I turned off C-FLEX, found that things improved significantly and, I simply got used to the pressure.
I use the Aura (or whatever they call it these days) nasal pillow interface without c-flex. As Will said, the c-flex was causing my respiration rate to continually increase. Now, being a cpap veteran unlike I was back in the early days of this forum, I have shun all the gadgets and gone to the basics. No auto...no c-flex, and believe it or not... no humidifier. After a while, I found these things just got in the way.

My best advice... find and interface that is comfortable and provides nearly no leaks. Over time, all else will become same 'ole - same 'ole
at first it may seem hard... but after 5 years you can't sleep without the thing :-)

FatiguedMe

Re: Anyone using nasal pillows with no C-flex? Update!

Post by FatiguedMe » Tue May 26, 2009 7:15 am

Well I didn't use the pillows last night, but I did use my Quattro with no c-flex and all I can say is WOW!
Evidently my machine still has some relief when I exhale, because I slept ALL night again! I woke up for a sec but went right back to sleep. Didn't feel like I was fighting it either.
Will give the pillows a run next, but I have to try my Quattro to get it adjusted properly. HAHA now to get these marks off of my face! The mask wasn't adjusted too tight so I am guessing I am smashin my forehead into my pillow at some point. My mark is from the forehead pad.
Just had to let everybody know I feel I had a successful night for the first time. YAYYYYYYY!
Thank you so much to everyone that replied to me! (((((((((((((((((BIGHUG)))))))))))))))))))))

BleepingBeauty

Re: Anyone using nasal pillows with no C-flex? Update!

Post by BleepingBeauty » Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 am

FatiguedMe wrote: Just had to let everybody know I feel I had a successful night for the first time. YAYYYYYYY!
Thank you so much to everyone that replied to me! (((((((((((((((((BIGHUG)))))))))))))))))))))
Wow, that's a great result! Congrats!

drubin007

Re: Anyone using nasal pillows with no C-flex? UPDATE!

Post by drubin007 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:51 am

again, I am going to blame everything on my being a noob, but what is a cflex, an aflex?

I use the nasal pillows (respironics) on the S2 cpap, with heated humidifier... mentioned it in the past, but setting of 9, ramp time of 45 minutes (which I was scorned for). Think it has been 2 weeks now, or coming up on the 3rd?) that I have been on cpap. Hold on, let me check my paperwork...

05/11 I got it, so guess it has been 2 weeks today.

anyhoo... been writing down my numbers for ai, ahi, hi for the past few days.. will post up in about a week to see if I need an adjustment.

Not going to jack someone elses thread here, really wondered what these terms meant so I could input if relevant.