Encore Viewer on Windows 7 RC 64 bit * edit * Won't run

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
deerhound

Encore Viewer on Windows 7 RC 64 bit * edit * Won't run

Post by deerhound » Fri May 08, 2009 12:08 pm

I have installed the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Release Candidate on my computer and I was able to get Encoreviewer 1.0 to work properly using a new feature which call XP mode. XP mode is a built in virtual machine you can download to use with Windows 7 RC. The download includes a licensed copy of Windows XP 32 bit which runs as a virtual computer. After much playing around I was finally able to get the smart card reader to work and use Encoreviewer with the 64 bit OS. I am not sure what I did to get it all working right but it can be done.

Dale

Last edited by deerhound on Sat May 09, 2009 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

6PtStar

Re: Encore Viewer on Windows 7 RC 64 bit

Post by 6PtStar » Fri May 08, 2009 1:46 pm

deerhound wrote:I have installed the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Release Candidate on my computer and I was able to get Encoreviewer 1.0 to work properly using a new feature which call XP mode. XP mode is a built in virtual machine you can download to use with Windows 7 RC. The download includes a licensed copy of Windows XP 32 bit which runs as a virtual computer. After much playing around I was finally able to get the smart card reader to work and use Encoreviewer with the 64 bit OS. I am not sure what I did to get it all working right but it can be done.

Dale
Go ahead and make us feel bad because some of us are not computer smart enough to get it to work.

P.S. I will give you my copy of Encore Pro if you can get it to work. The only stipulation is that you will have to write a instruction sheet so the rest of us can do it.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

deerhound

Re: Encore Viewer on Windows 7 RC 64 bit * edit * Won't run

Post by deerhound » Sat May 09, 2009 8:56 am

Well I have to take back everything I said about running Encoreviewer on Window 7 RC. I turned on my computer today and the smart card reader wont download. New Day different problem. At least the RC is free and I didn't spend any money on it

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

DBoone

Post by DBoone » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:05 pm

I'll probably be going through the EncoreViewer install on 64 bit Win 7 RC this weekend. If I run into problems and/or answers I'll post back. Well, I'll post back regardless of how it goes.
Masks I've tried but didn't like :
FlexiFit HC405 - couldn't stop the leaks

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:32 pm

I finally seem to have gotten it to work, but I don't know what made it a success. Initially I had trouble with the XP mode being able to recognize drives on my computer other than the virtual C drive it created. Then I had trouble with XP mode seeing the card reader. When I have too much trouble my mind overloads and I start trying things willy-nilly until it works or I give up. I still don't consider my setup reliable so officially I won't say it works. I am afraid if I brag on it again it will stop working

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

DBoone

Post by DBoone » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Well, no success. I've tried running the software in most of the compatibility modes and nothing. I get an error message that says "Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow"

I tried downloading new drivers for the card reader too and that didn't help either.

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:34 pm

Have you set up the MS Virtual PC software that lets you run a 32 bit version of XP on your 64 bit Windows 7 computer? If not go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx and download the Virtual PC software and the copy of XP that they let you have. Set this up and you should be able to run Encore Viewer on your 64 bit Windows 7 computer. Note that there are some hardware requirements your computer has to meet in order to use the virtual PC program. This is noted on the page I linked you to.

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

DBoone

Post by DBoone » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks Dale! That was a piece of cake.

For others who want to try it.

Naturally, you'll need to have Windows 7 installed for this to work.
Follow the link provided by Dale and download two files. One is the Virtual PC and the other is Windows XP Mode.
Install the Virtual PC first, then install the XP Mode.
Open the Virtual PC in Windows XP Mode:
  • Click on the start world
    Click on All Programs
    Click to expand Windows Virtual PC
    Click on Windows Virtual XP
That will open the virtual PC in XP Mode and you'll have to go through a little setup process.
After that, place the Encore software disc in the drive.
If Autoplay wants to launch anything just close it.
Make sure the Virtual Windows XP window is the active window.
In the Virtual XP window use Windows Explorer or "Start" - "Run" and navigate to the optical drive then open the folder that has the card reader drivers.
Install the driver you need. (For me it was the USB - DT3500 driver)
When finished, go back to the Encore folder and run the setup application.
You're good to go.

stuart1

Post by stuart1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:55 pm

Encore Pro 1.8.69 and Encore Pro Analyzer also work great under Windows 7 64-Bit! Microsoft is offering a time-limited upgrade offer for Windows 7, it's only $49.99. You may be interested in purchasing it and it will ship when Windows 7 is released. Highly recommended, much better than Vista.

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:39 am

Just remember if you are going to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit and want to run EncoreViewer you will need the Professional version which is pre-selling for 99.99 at the same link stuart1 posted above.

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

stuart1

Post by stuart1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:06 am

What feature is needed in the Professional version to run Encore Viewer?

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Only Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate have the Virtual PC capability to run in XP mode, which allows you to run 32 bit programs like Encore Viewer that will not run on a 64 bit operating system. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... e-editions. See also http://windows.microsoft.com/systemrequirements. Not all Processors, especially Intel processors support Virtualization technology which is necessary to run XP Mode in Windows 7.

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

dave-edie@comcast.net

Post by dave-edie@comcast.net » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:23 pm

This Worked for me!

Follow the link provided by Dale and download two files. One is the Virtual PC and the other is Windows XP Mode.
Install the Virtual PC first, then install the XP Mode.
Open the Virtual PC in Windows XP Mode:

Click on the start world
Click on All Programs
Click to expand Windows Virtual PC
Click on Windows Virtual XP

That will open the virtual PC in XP Mode and you'll have to go through a little setup process.
After that, place the Encore software disc in the drive.
If Autoplay wants to launch anything just close it.
Make sure the Virtual Windows XP window is the active window.
In the Virtual XP window use Windows Explorer or "Start" - "Run" and navigate to the optical drive then open the folder that has the card reader drivers.
Install the driver you need. (For me it was the USB - DT3500 driver)
When finished, go back to the Encore folder and run the setup application.
You're good to go.

FinceMgr

Post by FinceMgr » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:07 pm

While a virtual environment can be used it is not required to run EncorePro 1.8, as I have I done so natively in both Windows 7 x64 and in Windows XP as well. A virtual environment does however seem to be required for to run Encore Pro 2.2 though, at least in Windows 7 x64, so far.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40234&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... 15#p381919
dave-edie@comcast.net wrote:This Worked for me!