M Series Auto CPAP with A-Flex Setting

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DNAClone

M Series Auto CPAP with A-Flex Setting

Post by DNAClone » Fri May 01, 2009 7:32 pm

To all,
I attempted to submit a message to Rested Gal but am uncertain if message was successfully submitted so I put my request out to all. I received a call earlier today from my DME that they were out of inventory for the Autoset II and want to replace it with an
M Series Auto CPAP with A-Flex with heated humidification. This model appears to have similar features and to be at least the equivalent to the Autoset II.
I have an Rx for 4-20 cm / H20 based upon a titration study recommending a pressure of 13. Why bother to have a titration study with this Rx. Anyway, I hope to set the machine to 11-15. One problem is that I only notice setting instructions for the C flex on this website. Does anyone have the instructions for this model? Please forward or post; thank you!

Chris61

Re: M Series Auto CPAP with A-Flex Setting

Post by Chris61 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:55 pm

I have the M Series with A Flex and it works great. I can copy you the book and e-mail it to you if you would like. The nice thing about this machine is that it will start out a low pressure and go up to where it should stop. Also you will have a data card that you can use to find out how much pressure you need etc. If you have any questions just ask.

Chris

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Fri May 01, 2009 9:28 pm

Thanks Chris. Looking forward to getting a good night sleep soon!

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri May 01, 2009 9:44 pm

You'll find the user's manual here, it's under "Remstar Auto M-series", not under M.
http://global.respironics.com/UserGuide ... esAuto.pdf

C-Flex info is in chapter 4.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri May 01, 2009 11:31 pm

I was not on cpaptalk most of the day, so didn't see your PM until a little while ago, DNAclone. Have answered it.

Probably you were seeing the PM you sent to me sitting in your Outbox all day. Not appearing in your Sentbox. Which made you think it had not gotten "Sent" when it really had been sent. Those are confusing names for those mailboxes, I know.

Any PM you send just sits in the Outbox until the recipient finally opens the PM. Only then does your copy of it move to your "Sentbox."
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Sat May 02, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi all,
Just received my machine today from the resp tech.
2 questions that the tech could not answer during set up of the machine:

1. It appeared that on auto mode that you have the choice to use C flex or A flex not both. When you turn C flex on does that disable A Flex and vice versa? Tech said we should just try the A Flex

2. Mask leak Alert was turned on. However when we removed mask during session, no leak alerts appeared on the screen and no audible sounds were activated.
Tech didn't understand this and told me to call next week.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated. Thanks

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat May 02, 2009 4:47 pm

DNAClone wrote:Hi all,
Just received my machine today from the resp tech.
2 questions that the tech could not answer during set up of the machine:

1. It appeared that on auto mode that you have the choice to use C flex or A flex not both. When you turn C flex on does that disable A Flex and vice versa? Tech said we should just try the A Flex

2. Mask leak Alert was turned on. However when we removed mask during session, no leak alerts appeared on the screen and no audible sounds were activated.
Tech didn't understand this and told me to call next week.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated. Thanks
You can only select one exhale relief mode......A-Flex, C-Flex or None.

You didn't say which mask you were using or at which pressure he tried the demonstration, but I've read that this can happen (no leak alert), depending on which mask is used and the machine pressure at the time. Some nasal masks may not have enough airflow to trip the alarm.....especially if the machine was at a very low pressure at that time.
Your tech may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Also, if your machine's pressure settings are 4 - 20 cm., you're not going to have very effective therapy.....at least until your minimum pressure gets set to where it will do some good. Too many events (including leaking, snoring, hypopneas, and apneas) will take place in the meantime and you will still feel like crap.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Sat May 02, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks Den for the info.
I plan to use the A Flex set at 2 instead of the C Flex option
I have a Swift LT nasal pillow and tired it at a pressure of 10. The tech had me take the nasal pillow out to activate the alert but there was no response. I had the same "no alert" when trying a Resmed Activa Nasal Mask. My range is 10-15 cm H20. The tech said that the machine is not malfunctioning but I question his statement
I was expecting to get the Resmed S8 Autoset II so I ordered the Resmed Swift and Pillow . I know with the Resmed device you need to set the type of mask you are using. However, these Resmed masks should be able to be worn with an M series Auto CPAP. Right?
I guess I will give it a full night's test and see what the leak rate is. If the stats are good I should be OK.

Juliebove

Post by Juliebove » Sat May 02, 2009 10:15 pm

What is a leak alert? I don't think my machine has ever done this. Twice I went to put it on and realized it was turned on. I don't know if I left it on or if my cat accidentally turned it on. Cat is fascinated by the machine.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun May 03, 2009 5:55 pm

rested gal wrote:I was not on cpaptalk most of the day, so didn't see your PM until a little while ago, DNAclone. Have answered it.

Probably you were seeing the PM you sent to me sitting in your Outbox all day. Not appearing in your Sentbox. Which made you think it had not gotten "Sent" when it really had been sent. Those are confusing names for those mailboxes, I know.

Any PM you send just sits in the Outbox until the recipient finally opens the PM. Only then does your copy of it move to your "Sentbox."
RG, I always wondered about that but didn't think it urgent enough to ask about, but as usual you caught up with me. Thanks. Dori

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Mon May 04, 2009 1:22 pm

My DME called Respironics tech support to inquire why my "Mask Alert" was set to ON but never alerted me when there were obvious leaks. The resp tech who fitted me did not understandy why there was no alert sounds or display.

The answer I was told is that the LT Swift "tricks" the machine.
I was told that if I used a nasal or full face mask that the leak alert would be activated during leak events.
Well I tried a Resmed Activa Nasal Mask for 30 minutes today and partially removed mask and No alert.
Maybe this mask also tricks the device. Who knows?

2flamingos

Post by 2flamingos » Mon May 04, 2009 2:17 pm

I have the same machine and use the swift lt. my leak rate is usually within range, but have had one or two occurrances were it had shifted when rolling over, etc - and there was an audible alarm...... not loud enough to wake me, but it was there.

Old enough to know better

Karma is a Wonderful Thing.

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Mon May 04, 2009 3:54 pm

2Flamingos,
What pressure do you use and what is your normal leak rate?
Also, have you tried different masks and had any alarms?

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon May 04, 2009 8:44 pm

For what it's worth, when I started therapy, I turned off the leak alert and auto off functions. I don't want anything waking me up or my machine shutting off if I have a large leak. I want it to keep blowing air so I can keep breathing.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Tue May 05, 2009 8:31 am

DEN,
You make two valid points. I guess if there are leaks they will show up in the data. I wish they had daily results included rather than a rollong average. My leaks are 39m/L which apparently is within the acceptable range for an LT Swift. I have been contemplating trying the Resmed Nasal Activa which although more bulky is more comfortable since the pressure feels less concentrated. I may try an experimental swich next week when I have the software. I tiried the the C Flex last night and it seemed to work better than the A Flex.

One other question; should the display with the data and settings be lit? Mine is fairly dark and I need to shine a bright light on it to view the data. Since it is covered, you would think that it should be lit or at leasrt light up when used. Thanks again!