Help interpreting results of sleep study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tired Guy

Re: Help interpreting results of sleep study

Post by Tired Guy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:48 pm

Your observations are right on... unfortunately.

My main issue is usage / compliance... everything else is secondary. I did see someone else on here last night who had just started and was struggling... so hopefully we can, perversely, offer each other some moral support as we go through this.

Since the folks responding to this post seem to be well informed.. could anyone offer any posts or studies related to weight loss and decreasing apneas? I am in the second week of a diet and could use some inspiration.

Finally... and this is totally out of context... but thanks to whomever it was that posted the inspiration / transformation post. Although directed at long time users.. it is what i personally needed because to begin my struggle with this again has been-- frankly-- a bit daunting and overwhelming. The many positive posts helped

jnk

Re: Help interpreting results of sleep study

Post by jnk » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:41 pm

Tired Guy wrote:Your observations are right on... unfortunately.

My main issue is usage / compliance... everything else is secondary. I did see someone else on here last night who had just started and was struggling... so hopefully we can, perversely, offer each other some moral support as we go through this.

Since the folks responding to this post seem to be well informed.. could anyone offer any posts or studies related to weight loss and decreasing apneas? I am in the second week of a diet and could use some inspiration.

Finally... and this is totally out of context... but thanks to whomever it was that posted the inspiration / transformation post. Although directed at long time users.. it is what i personally needed because to begin my struggle with this again has been-- frankly-- a bit daunting and overwhelming. The many positive posts helped
Well, friend, you are not alone. We all have different ways of coming to grips with what we need to do. I was fortunate in finding this forum early on in my PAP journey. I don't know how I would have done without the support of the people here. I feel embarrassingly indebted to them all--total strangers!

I was very shy in starting out, but a longtime poster here encouraged me to feel free to post. So please let me, although I am not by any means a longtime poster, pass that same welcome to you. If you need help figuring out, or coming to grips with, anything involving your PAP therapy, you will get help here. Some of it may be irritating to you, but some of it wil be right on the money for you, too. So post your questions and observations and ignore the replies that don't help and embrace the ones that do. Someone on here will likely say just the right thing to get you over the hump and help everything click.

This board contains all kinds. We have highly educated and uneducated. We have straight shooters and hand holders. We have jokesters and seriously wise medical wizards. And combinations of all the above. And we all enjoy each other and get along for the most part. Heck, even the fights are fun! So don't worry about fitting in. You do. If you have a PAP machine that you want to use, well, that is all the qualification you need for making this place "home." So grab a chair, pull it up to the table, and talk, if you want, or just listen, if you don't. You are welcome either way. But please make full use of this forum if it helps you find a way to make the therapy work for you. That is what it is here for, fellow hoser.

Diets? Well. The trick for me was to get effective treatment so my body could let me lose weight. I didn't think of it as "a diet." I think of it as that hose bringing me enough life to exercise more and eat healthier as a lifestyle change. I use every ounce of energy that mask gives me to enjoy life more by taking better care of myself and being more active. I have been on the hose for about ten months and have lost about 25 pounds. My lifestyle change (oops, I almost said "diet" ) is that I eat some hot oatmeal, or something similar, along with some fruit, for breakfast, then snack on a little fruit and raw veggies during the day, and have a reasonable supper of whatever I want, within reason. I vary what I do for exercise and am sure to get in a little weight lifting. It seems to be working right now.

But I would not have been successful at it without being on PAP therapy. I think that effective sleep has begun to change my body chemistry in a way that has allowed me to have the energy--emotionally, mentally, and physically--to be more active as my cravings have changed over to more healthy foods.

That has been my experience, anyway.

jeff