Whaddya know about Goodknight 418G?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Babette

Whaddya know about Goodknight 418G?

Post by Babette » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi all!

Just acquired a used "Mallinckrodt" GoodKnight 418G. Came with an Fisher & Paykel HC100 Humidifier.

Can someone point me to info on this machine?

I'm debating whether to keep this as a "backup" machine or to encourage my giver to keep it himself as a doorstop. He's a former cpap patient that I've been mentoring back on the hose. He really likes his new machine better (haven't a clue what it is, he's sleep deprived, after all ), and I expressed an interested in looking at his old machine. He translated that to "here, have my old machine."

Came back from lunch and there it all was, sitting on my desk.

Thanks your help!!!!
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

dsm

Re: Whaddya know about Goodknight 418G?

Post by dsm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Babs,

Is a biggish machine (certainly compared to the 42x range). It is built like a panzer tank in that the quality is excellent & they appear to be very very robust. The HC100 is also excellent it is the same as a HC150 but without the ambient tracking feature. If it came with a stainless steel based water chamber guard it with your life. Those chambers used to cost $US99 (when you could get them) just for that chamber.

Will PM you with a link to the provider etc manuals (the ones we have).

Cheers

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:09 pm

BABS

Sorry but that is one machine we don't have manuals for. It came out at the same time as my PB330 so I will look at it & see if I can guess how to get into provider mode. On the PB330 it is by holding down 2 buttons - I don't think the 418G uses the 'hidden button' approach like was added to the 42x range.
But I may be wrong on that.

What I can provide is this ...

418G
Product Features
* Enhanced blower provides stable delivery of a wide range of pressures.
* Two-year warranty.
* Compatible with all Puritan Bennett® sleep therapy interfaces.
* Ultra-quiet home care treatment for patients with obstructive sleep apnea.
* Easy-to-read, 16-character LCD display simplifies operation.
* Patient-selectable ramp start pressure helps user ease into sleep.
* Separate meters track compliance and operating hours to compare patient use with hours in service.
* Altitude compensation enables optimal use in most geographic areas.

Performance
* Pressure Range: 4 to 18 cm H2O
* Ramp Function: 0 to 30 minutes (steps of 5 minutes)
* Ramp Start Pressure: 4 cmH2O to treatment pressure (patient selectable)
* Altitude Compensation: 0 to 8000 ft/2400 m (patient selectable)
* Sound Output: Less than 30 dBA, 10 cmH2O at 1 meter

Controls (top panel)
* ON/OFF switch
* Ramp ON/OFF switch
* Settings switch

Indicator
* Green LED ON when power is on
* Display of set pressure
* Ramp ON indicator
* Altitude compensation ON indicator

Electrical Characteristics

* AC Power: 115/230 VAC 50/60Hz
* DC Power: 24 volts
* Double-insulated two-prong plug

Physical Characteristics

* Size: 18.3 cm x 13.8 cm x 27.3 cm (7.25" W x 5.5" H x 10.75" D)
* Weight: 2.6 kg (5.7 lb)

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Yup, it's a big baby.

Sorry to report no steel chamber. Plastic with a steel base, similar to the Respironics tank chamber. I assume it's steel. Maybe it's aluminum. Where's my magnet?

I DO have the Practitioner and Service Provider Manual, whoo hoo!!! As well as the patient's guide.

I'm thinking maybe I should force my buddy to take this back as a back up machine and tell him how good it is. I do, after all, have the Tank now for backup.

BTW, did you know that if your script says "Auto," cpapauction will not let you buy a non-Auto machine? Just found that out a week ago. Garrumph. Well, I suppose it makes some sense. I could EASILY get my doc to write me a script for any machine I want. I just was surprised when I missed out on a good deal because of a script.

So, maybe I'll fiddle with this for a few days, to make my buddy feel better (and satisfy my own curiousity), then insist he take it back as a back up.

Thanks DSM!!!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Hey, as I'm digging through all this stuff, I'm finding beaucoup paperwork. Lots of manuals and photocopies of manuals. I think my buddy won the jackpot in the manual department.

Thanks for your help DSM!
B.

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:26 pm

The chamber that is the good one is plastic but has a stainless steel base - the new chambers are all aluminum with a membrane (easy to breech it).

I regard my PB330 Knightstar as one of the best bilevels of the lot from that 2001-2005 era. It is so well designed & built & feature rich - sadly it doesn't gather data that can be accessed by a non clinical user, otherwise it would still be a machine to rekon with.

PB really did some great stuff & I rank them equal (in some areas better) than the others. They are slipping behind though, in the last few years.

DSM

PS if anyone has a pdf copy of the 418 manuals pls emal to dsm (at) internetage (dot) com

#2 diguised email

Don't worry Babs, I use the above email for cpap related activity.
Last edited by dsm on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:54 pm

DSM, take down your personal email addy!!! Danger Danger!!!!

I can scan the manuals for you. Give me a day or so to get a round tuit.

Cheers,
B.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:56 pm

On a couple of occasions, I've done some searches on that machine. This thread always seems to show up and although there aren't any instructions on how to change settings, some of the last posts in this link are talking about the foam inside the machine disintegrating. So, I thought I'd pass that bit of info along in case you want to take it apart and check it out for yourself.

http://gyxe.com/sleep-disorder/37-562-h ... read.shtml

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

BabsOffline

Post by BabsOffline » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Don't know how to scan the manuals I have and turn them into one continuous PDF file. I can turn them into individual JPGs of the individual pages.

Might be easier if I could just copy and snail mail them to you. Sent you an email offlist. Now go take your email addy down!!!

LOL,
Babs

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:42 pm

Babs I was able to pick up an almost new one on cpapauction last summer. If I remember right my machine is a 418A though. I used it for a couple of nights and it works beautifully and has low hours on it. I gave something around $40.00 for it.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:58 am

I've convinced my coworker to take it back as a backup. I think since he "failed cpap" on it, he was convinced it was a "bad machine". I'm hoping to educate him differently, now that he's getting good therapy and can think a little clearer.

BTW, checked all the HH chambers - all have aluminum plates. There ARE three there. I suspect the DME was making a boat payment or two off my buddy.

Thanks all!!!!
B.

Mattyack

Post by Mattyack » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:13 pm

How can I connect my Goodknight 418g to a 12volt system? It has a extra plug in back that says 24v? Help for camping..

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 pm

To use youe unit with 12v batterys you will need 2 batterys connected in series. That is, use 2 batterys, connect 1 + (positive) and 1 - (negative) leads together on different batterys. Connect your + wire of your plug to the remaining + on the battery and the - to the remaining negative battery terminal.

See here.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Suppo ... agram.aspx

Use the top diagram.

You don't need a huge battery. Small 12 amp hr batterys should work fine for a night or 2.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:08 pm

My son-in-law and daughter have a cabin at the lake so I gavem them my 418A so that he wouldn't have to lug a machine back and forth.

Yep, it is a bigger than the machines now it seems, but I bet it was built better than the ones today.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

civilengineer

Post by civilengineer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:37 pm

It is a good machine. I'm still using mine. I haven't upgraded to the newer type. I understand the newer types are variable. However, the constant pressue is fine for me. The old machine is still worth a couple hundred dollars.