A Question re: my AUTOPAP Trial

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
-SWS

Re: A Question re: my AUTOPAP Trial

Post by -SWS » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:43 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:a piece o' cake
Top o' the kitchen to you: Real Irish Pieces O' Cake
May your heart and lungs find peace by the warmth o' sun and shade o' moon.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks, jules and SAG.
StillAnotherGuest wrote:Right. As you can see, you got a bunch more info to deal with.

BTW, from your post on 4/17 you said
BleepingBeauty wrote:when I've used an AUTO machine on a trial basis. Included in each of these full reports are Compliance Information, Patterns of Use, Sleep Therapy Long Term Trend, Sleep Therapy Daily Details (for some, but not all trial days), and Summary of Compliance - All Data.
2007 - 11/26 through 12/13 - first AUTO machine trial (11 pages)
2008 - 2/18 through 3/6 - second AUTO machine trial (11 pages)
2008 - 10/17 through 10/20 - third AUTO machine trial (9 pages w/Summary of Daily Details included)
but it looks like 11-12/2007 and 2-3/2008 are plain 12's. Got the STDDs from 10/2008?
I do, indeed. I have four pages of Daily Details reports from the October trial that include the Daily Events Per Hour chart at the bottom of each page. But those are the only STDDs I have that include that Events Per Hour chart. The STDDs from the other two APAP trials don't have those.
In re: the ambient portion of the split, those pages are mostly "tables"-- do you have one that looks like this one from 3/09, specifically with oximetry and respiratory events?

Like This

SAG
Unfortunately, no, I don't have a chart like that in my split-night study report from 10/07. I posted all four pages of graphs I got from that lab. If it should have been included with the copy I was sent, I'll call them on Monday and ask them to send it to me.

I'll start scanning and uploading the four pages of STDDs from October. Anything else? Let me know.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

jules

Post by jules » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:03 pm

If the APAP trial was on a fixed pressure, there won't be a little chart at the bottom of the page, but do include those "daily" pages (I assume) in what you upload. There may be some insight SAG can offer on timing of events seeing the graphs.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:12 pm

-SWS wrote:
BleepingBeauty wrote:a piece o' cake
Top o' the kitchen to you: Real Irish Pieces O' Cake
May your heart and lungs find peace by the warmth o' sun and shade o' moon.
(In my best Homer Simpson voice): "Mmmmm, caaaaaaaake..."

Now, quit that, -SWS, I'm tryin' to diet! (But thanks for the kind Irish sentiment. Just keep the yummy cake out of it.)

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:33 pm

jules wrote:If the APAP trial was on a fixed pressure, there won't be a little chart at the bottom of the page, but do include those "daily" pages (I assume) in what you upload. There may be some insight SAG can offer on timing of events seeing the graphs.
Ok. I've uploaded the four pages of STDDs from 10-08 here: http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv12 ... s%2010-07/

Thanks, jules. I'll start scanning the STDDs from the other two APAP trials now. As you suspect, these other two trials were, indeed, done at a fixed pressure (of 12). I'll be back to post a link when I'm done.

ETA: Disregard the link in this post. I realized just now that the year was a typo, so I renamed it on photobucket. Consequently, this link won't work. See my post below for the good link to that album. Sorry for any confusion.
Last edited by BleepingBeauty on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:52 pm

jules

Post by jules » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:00 pm

do you mouth breathe at night? or do you know?

and have you always used nasal pillows or a nasal mask?

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:44 pm

jules wrote:do you mouth breathe at night? or do you know?

and have you always used nasal pillows or a nasal mask?
Hey, jules.

I live alone, so I had no idea I had OSA, nevermind being a mouth-breather. When I had my initial sleep studies, I was wearing an Ultra Mirage FFM at the lab, so nobody said anything about the issue. I chose a nasal mask from the DME (the Swift II, initially) and wore that for almost a year, until I had my sleep study this past November (when it was determined that I needed a chinstrap because I was opening my mouth occasionally). So I've been using my nasal mask and a chinstrap since then.

jules

Post by jules » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Just if you start looking at the graphs, you see events popping up around same time the leaks go up.

SAG doesn't like us peons here to focus on leak graphs, but .......

I believe the software will only pick up one thing happening at a time and has to flip a coin - heads for leak increase, tails for event. It looks like you were in a penny throwing contest there on many of those nights you just posted.

Leaks can come from mouth breathing or lots of movement in bed that dislodges the nasal pillows temporarily.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:30 pm

jules wrote:Just if you start looking at the graphs, you see events popping up around same time the leaks go up.

I believe the software will only pick up one thing happening at a time and has to flip a coin - heads for leak increase, tails for event. It looks like you were in a penny throwing contest there on many of those nights you just posted.

Leaks can come from mouth breathing or lots of movement in bed that dislodges the nasal pillows temporarily.
Thanks, jules. As new as these kinds of graphs are to me, it looks like there's been an awful lot of leaking going on, in all three trial periods. I was wearing my chinstrap last month, but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. Is that your impression?

Of course, I have no way of knowing if it's working for me or not (or whether my mask is leaking), since I have no data on my machine. *sigh*

StillAnotherGuest

There's "Focusing" and Then There's...

Post by StillAnotherGuest » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:30 am

jules wrote:SAG doesn't like us peons here to focus on leak graphs.
I don't believe SAG said "don't focus on leak graphs", I think he said "don't obsess about leak graphs". They too must be analyzed in context, for there can be "acceptable" leaks and "unacceptable" leaks:

Paul's Story

SAG

Aromatherapy may help CPAP compliance. Lavender, Mandarin, Chamomile, and Sweet Marjoram aid in relaxation and sleep. Nature's Gift has these and a blend of all four called SleepEase.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:10 am

Gumby thinks SAG not only has an incredible memory but unusually sharp internet search skills too.

But Gumby still wonders if SAG has ever figured out how much "23 sonometers" actually is? Moreover, what a "sonometer" is? Gumby thinks it may be a measure of attitude.

Here is an example of it used in a sentence while trying to inflate one's ego - "My friend holds the record for my lab at the time at 23 sonometers..."

ps. Teller says bi

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:31 am

BleepingBeauty wrote:
jules wrote:Just if you start looking at the graphs, you see events popping up around same time the leaks go up.

Thanks, jules. As new as these kinds of graphs are to me, it looks like there's been an awful lot of leaking going on, in all three trial periods. I was wearing my chinstrap last month, but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. Is that your impression?

Of course, I have no way of knowing if it's working for me or not (or whether my mask is leaking), since I have no data on my machine. *sigh*
Ugh. Please disregard my question above. I just realized that all three of these trial periods occurred before I was told I needed a chinstrap and started wearing one. I got confused with the March dates; the March autopap trial was done in 2008, not this past month.

Man, I need to get some appropriate therapy, and real soon. This difficulty in thinking straight is a serious bummer. I used to be pretty sharp and would have easily caught little details like that...

jules

Re: There's "Focusing" and Then There's...

Post by jules » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:14 am

StillAnotherGuest wrote:
jules wrote:SAG doesn't like us peons here to focus on leak graphs.
I don't believe SAG said "don't focus on leak graphs", I think he said "don't obsess about leak graphs". They too must be analyzed in context, for there can be "acceptable" leaks and "unacceptable" leaks:

Paul's Story

SAG

In this case BB has a lot of leak issues and all those events corresponding to leak spikes (based on the limited resolution those graphs allow). It is a matter of which came first the leak or the event.

Jules wasn't trying to quote SAG exactly but did remember a post by SAG about us peons focusing too much of leak graphs. Jules has respect for SAG's alphabet soup and cooking skills in making it. Jules wonders if it is chicken soup or egg drop soup today.

BTW Jules wonders when SAG will officially hit 1000 posts as they know he has many posts as "guest" and under other nicks as they also does.

BleepingBeauty

Re: Since You Asked...

Post by BleepingBeauty » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:55 am

StillAnotherGuest wrote: Can you get the graphics from the very first study, the split, where you were on ambient pressure? I think ambient study information is very important.

SAG
I requested it this morning, and the gal at the sleep lab where I had my Split-Night PSG done is mailing me a complete copy of the study results. I told her I was specifically looking for a graph showing the details of my respiration and oxygenation during the ambient portion of the study.

The phone jack in my home office is out of whack again, or she could have faxed it to me. She tried to scan it and send it via email, but her system won't let her do that. So I expect to have the info in a few days via snailmail and will scan/upload it then.