Blue Cross-Blue Shield and Cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Blue Cross-Blue Shield and Cpap

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm not surprised.

Bindyt

Post by Bindyt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 pm

My husband did a at home sleep study thru nurses unlimited .. We paid our 500.00 deduct and I believe we will rent at 10.00 per month. I'll let ya know if diff. Bcbs tx ppo

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm

BCBS plans vary a great deal--with no uniformity even by name and location.
They used to be a very respected health insurance company,
but in recent years have sold the use of the name to pretty much any company who pays the fees.
Apparently quality control and accountability is no longer a priority.
Sadly, this appears to be the case all across the industry.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Did you notice that the sleep study was required just for a mask? I would be mad also.
Too bad you didn't look here first, you could get all kinds of masks here.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:56 pm

This thread is four years old. Funny how things stay the same, or get worse--but rarely improve?

Joe D

Post by Joe D » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:46 am

I was charged $2000 for the humidifier attachment & am being charged $600 a month to rent the machine. BCBS only want so pay $298.37 for the humidifier attachment & $112.32for the monthly rental. The initial study was $9900.00 & BCBS will only pay 1199.40 of that.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:39 pm

If you are paying out of pocket, GO ONLINE! The local creeps will hurt you every way they can.
Some have mentioned "good ones" that will make concessions for the uninsured, but they are rare--extremely rare.

summerboy

Post by summerboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:53 pm

I'd say skip the sleep study and buy your own machine (with 'automatic adjustment') which you can get for $500-800. You already know you snore and stop breathing at some point. I'm very happy I did.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:28 pm

The standard recommendations for this situation are craigslist, secondwindcpap.com, and cpap.com. If you are careful and patient, you can get a good deal on craigslist but it might take a while - 90% of the stuff on there is overpriced. Secondwind is a good option that requires much less work and is much safer but you'll pay more but get a warranty. cpap.com will have the best non-insurance prices on brand new machines. Another option is to buy a machine from someone who has one for sale on the forum with the prices probably on par with those from secondwindcpap.

It really makes sense to sit down and make up a spreadsheet for all your different options to compare them. Many save money by not using their insurance at all but it depends very much on the details of your insurance. The insurance agents are happy to answer these kinds of questions - just call them up and you will get the correct answer for your specific insurance plan. They will tell you how much they pay and how much you pay and when and whether it's a purchase or lease, etc. There are so many variables that only your insurance company can give you the correct answer for your policy.

I went with the craigslist option and was lucky to get a nearly new older model for $100 but those are rare. Good luck!

tiredgrl

Post by tiredgrl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Have you called your insurance directly and asked them? Rather than asking a bunch of anonymous people on the Internet?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Isn't it sad that we so often are "thrown under the bus" by the very people we are led to trust to take care of us?
I think it is beautiful that under these circumstances, this loving community tries to help us help ourselves
when those who should--will not.
Sometimes strangers care more than those who we think we know.
I love you guys!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:47 pm

tiredgrl wrote:Have you called your insurance directly and asked them? Rather than asking a bunch of anonymous people on the Internet?
parade, meet raincloud.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:48 pm

You guys are responding to a 2 year ols post.

bsparris

Post by bsparris » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:29 am

I am in Alabama with Blue Cross Blue Shield (Peehip) and have had my CPAP for years. I do not remember having to pay deductibles up front until now. (Perhaps I did and just put it on credit cards and that is one reason I am in such incredible debt now and am finding I don't even have enough money to buy groceries as I am trying to dig my way out of debt.) So now I needed new supplies last fall and had to pay nearly $200 out of pocket as I was told I hadn't met my co-pay. Then my machine quit and I was given a loaner, told that in April my insurance would cover it. So now, one day before my appointment to return the loaned CPAP and pick up my new one, I am told I have to pay nearly $500 for the new machine because I have not met my deductible. Needless to say, I threw a hissy-fit on them on the phone, though doing such is very unlike me normally. They talked it over and said they would go ahead and just bill the insurance. Ok, this buys me some time, but doesn't it also mean once it goes through the insurance, I will be sent a bill for that $500? I still will not be able to pay it. It is going to be a couple years before I am out of debt enough to have that kind of money to pay this kind of bill. When I go to return my loaner tomorrow, should I just say no and quit my CPAP? I know that I could not sleep without it, as I tried when it was broken and I was miserable. And couldn't I also die in my sleep?

And to Chunky-Frog who replied below. I have only today joined when I was trying to find out the amount of the deductible for my CPAP. I was trying to understand, trying to find help, and perhaps, yes, a place to vent. I didn't read all here because I have only just joined and was trying to find answers. I can see I am not welcome here. And you for one would probably like me to ditch my CPAP and die at 62--when I only want to live to 64 so that I can get my debts paid off and get my funeral expenses pre-paid and arrangements made. I guess I am not welcome here, so this old lady is going to pack up and leave and won't be coming back, thank you!!!

Maybe I best just go ahead and ditch it, thank you Chunky, you helped me make my decision to die young!!!
Last edited by bsparris on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:57 am

Next time, read the posts before you add yours.
You would have seen that your questions were answered, even before you asked.
Or did you just come to rant? Plenty reason for all of us.
Agreed, insurance companies and their minions are 666 kinds of evil,
but we all need to keep our pockets buttoned up tight.