How long do you use your mask before replacing the seal ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How long to you use a mask for before buying a new silicon seal

under 03 months
14%
under 06 months
23%
under 12 months
14%
over 12 months
12%
I haven't owned a mask long enough to know
20%
I have never replaced the seal
11%
I only replace it each time the (cat, dog, rat) eats it
3%
I only replace it when it turns yellow
2%
I didn't think I needed to replace the seal
3%

Total votes: 111

dsm

How long do you use your mask before replacing the seal ?

Post by dsm » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:16 pm

This poll is to try to gauge how long masks last & get used for.

It is something I haven't paid a lot of attention to but am wondering if the silicon seals really only last for about 3 months or so then weaken & start allowing leaking to take place. If this is true then it could explain why some of us seem to do really well for say 3-4 months then hit an otherwise unexplained downturn.

I have tended to just keep cleaning the mask each night & keep using it. Here in Aust we don't get any reimbursement beyond a one off payment of about $500-$600 (on the better health plans) PER 3 YEARS, to buy machines & set-ups costing between $AUD 1,500 - $AUD 2,000+

I have seen a pattern of good/bad results in my own therapy that may match the life of the most recent mask I bought !.

Anyone else wondered about this ?

DSM

#2 added some extra selections for the jokesters among us
Last edited by dsm on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Re: How long do you use your mask before replacing the seal ?

Post by goose » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 am

Interesting topic DSM....Each time I'm in line for a new mask I get a new one, so I've never really officially replaced a seal.
I used the Headrest with the canulas for about 5 months before I got a different size which made all the difference in the world, but thus far after about 9 months or so I haven't replaced the XL pillows I purchased out of pocket.
I have recently started using the Activa mask which has that "active cell technology" and I really like it - so much in fact, I haven't gone back to my headrest in about a month except for 1/2 of one night. It was so "uncomfortable" that I switched out to the Activa half way through.
Now. All that said, and to answer your query -- it does appear that the seal will need to be replaced on that mask, but at what interval I'm not sure of yet. I've used it for about 5 weeks so far, so we'll see how long it goes. I'm getting ready to ask for a different size to try, so that may skew the "swap out requirement" time period. I'll try to keep this thread in mind as I go through my continued experimentations....
cheers
goose
PS - I didn't vote because there really wasn't a category that I fit into....I have not changed one yet, but know I will have to at some point.....timeframe=unknown....

-the Dalai Lama

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:58 am

I wasn't sure which one to pick, either......so, I selected "I have never replaced the seal"......and it's approaching four years with the same original mask, seal, headgear, etc. I started out with. I have a couple more masks (UMFF & Quattro) that I've rotated for a couple of months or so during that time, but have always come back to the original. My leak lines keep getting flatter and leak numbers keep getting lower and more consistent with the original.....so, what am I supposed to do if everything is still working fine? I don't know what they look like when they "deteriorate". I've also got a stockpile of extra masks and seals for future use (hope I live that long). Being the frugal (ok...cheap) person that I am, I hate to throw things away that are still usable.....and I hate to waste money or see it wasted.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:46 am

I've been on therapy about 6 months now and used my first mask & seal that long as well. Towards the end I still seemed to be getting a good seal with it.

I just purchased a complete new mask & spare face cushion... and notice that after the first night or two (where I was having some leak issues around the nose bridge) that it seems to seal up easier than the old 6 month unit.

My motivation for purchasing the new mask & spare face cushion had everything to do with having a spare mask around in case something broke... and nothing to do with the inability to get a reasonable seal.

hodag

Post by hodag » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:00 am

It says that BBS will replace pieces of the mask every few months, but I rarely change. Last time I changed masks was when the elastic woreout, and then the mask was out of productions. Now I have a "NEW" one (a year old now) and it ain't as nice as the orignal. And by what you all have told me my CPAP machine is old. So how long do you keep a CPAP machine? HEHE.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:54 am

I am getting about a month out of mine if i am lucky. I was recently told by my DME that the quattro cushions go bad faster than anything.

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:14 am

Good topic. I have been evaluating my data to see if there are changes caused by the mask. I get a new mask and head gear every 6 months, but either the Comfort Flap or the Gel cushion seem to become less effective after about 4 months. I suspect it is the Gel cushion that is the problem. I will keep an eye on this topic to see what others have found.
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

Pineapple

Post by Pineapple » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:17 am

I think how long the seal last also depends on the manufacture. I used a UMFF for about a month and the seal didn't really seem to show any wear and tear, but I've been using a F&P 431 for about 6 months and the seals start showing wear at about a month.

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:42 pm

First thing I tell someone who is having a sudden down turn is to check their seal. Clean it THOROUGHLY. If that doesn't help, REPLACE IT. Silicone DOES break down. In the case of the Nasal Aire II, what I find is that the cannulas soften up over time, and don't provide as good a seal. I replace mine when I feel that I'm getting more leaks than usual. It's approximately every 6 months, but probably more like every 4-5 months. I haven't been keeping good track of when I replace a cannula. I just do it.

Cheers,
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

WAFlowers

Post by WAFlowers » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:54 pm

It's been almost 3 years and if my headgear didn't fall apart the other night I probably wouldn't be thinking about replacing anything.
The CPAPer formerly known as WAFlowers

dsm

Post by dsm » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:59 pm

BillFlowers wrote:It's been almost 3 years and if my headgear didn't fall apart the other night I probably wouldn't be thinking about replacing anything.
Hi Bill,

Loooong time no see

Obviously the therapy is going really well.

Cheers

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:00 pm

BillFlowers wrote:It's been almost 3 years and if my headgear didn't fall apart the other night I probably wouldn't be thinking about replacing anything.
BAD BILL!!!! (gets out big stick to chase Bill around and beat him until he buys himself a new mask....)

LOL,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Howdy, Stranger!

Long time, no nothin'. How the heck have you been?

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

WAFlowers

Post by WAFlowers » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi guys (and gals). I've been great! For some info on what I've been up to read this post: viewtopic/p351070/viewtopic.php?p=351031#p351031

Needless to say the B&B is CPAP friendly, with pillows and bedding that works well (for me, anyway).
The CPAPer formerly known as WAFlowers

fuzzy96

Post by fuzzy96 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:10 pm

BillFlowers wrote:
It's been almost 3 years and if my headgear didn't fall apart the other night I probably wouldn't be thinking about replacing anything.

BAD BILL!!!! (gets out big stick to chase Bill around and beat him until he buys himself a new mask....)
kinky babs, kinky lol