Off topic ( Smoking )

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Driver59

Off topic ( Smoking )

Post by Driver59 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:27 am

I know there was a poll here some time ago to see how many forum members smoke. I was wondering how many are ex smokers and what method you used to quit. Cigarettes here in Illinois just went up 80 cents a pack this last weekend and are going up another 80 cents a pack next month. That will put them at around seven dollars a pack in most places. That's a lot of cpap supplies at the end of a month or two. I bought a carton before the price went up, but when thats gone it's D-day for me. Here is what I was wondering, since smoking no doubt affects our success with cpap therapy, would the members here object to having a single thread to offer support to those quitting. Those who wish could post their successes or slipups and possibly get encouragement and tips from those who have already quit or anyone who just wants to say, way to go stick with it. If this is beyond the scope of this forum, I understand. Just wanted to toss out the idea out there to see if anyone was interested.
Don

Snorebert

Re: Off topic ( Smoking )

Post by Snorebert » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:13 am

Driver-
I wish that I could give you the magic method for quitting but there is none. I smoked for over 35 years and tried to quit dozens of times. I tried cold turkey, hypnosis, patches, gum, Zyban all multiple times. My mother died of lung cancer four years ago (she smoked most of her life) and yet I continued to smoke.

I finally quit a year ago last November and have been smoke free ever since. And I violated all of the traditional rules to do it. I did not plan weeks ahead. Two days before the Great American Smokeout day I decided to give it a try. I did not announce it to anyone except my wife, I did not join a group or a program. I went out and bought the patches. I did light up twice in the following month - the second time I did not even finish it before tossing it into the toilet. I was able to go on short walks while at work instead of lighting up and I did gain some weight.

One of my biggest failures in the past was not completing the whole patch program. After being on the patches for a few weeks, I would decide that I had licked the addiction and to save money, I stopped buying them. Big mistake. This last time, I went out and bought the full supply of patches from 21mg to 7mg. I did the whole program and I think that helped.

Once having quit, it also gave me the courage to go back and try to get the rest of my life back by getting back to the CPAP.

If I can make a suggestion, don't wait until your supply is gone. That most likely be the wrong day to quit for any number of reasons. And that will be just another excuse to buy another pack. Choose the day yourself and throw away the remaining smokes. That puts you in charge - not the supply or the state of Illinois.

My wife still smokes and I do not hassle her about it. The one thing that I learned is that is that it has to be your time to quit - not someone else's. The other thing was that I accepted my previous attempts not as failures but rather as rehersals for the real thing. To this day, I swear I could pick up smoking in a heartbeat. I miss it all the time. I think I need to take a short walk now.

I would wish you luck but that is not what you need. Keep trying and recognize that you are quitting for yourself - not anyone else.

-Clark
There are two rules of life. The first is don't tell everything that you know.

Debjax

Post by Debjax » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:23 am

In my experience, it did not matter WHAT method I used, it did not work until I really wanted to quit. The method I ultimately used was my husband's heart attack, and the knowledge that if I kept smoking, he would and if he did, he'd die. I went cold turkey that day and never had one craving after the decision. And brother, when I tried quitting before, on ALL methods I had the cravings from he**.

I'm still hot....it just comes in flashes...
iMob Friend Code - 179-961-093

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:30 am

Driver59 wrote:I know there was a poll here some time ago to see how many forum members smoke. I was wondering how many are ex smokers and what method you used to quit. Cigarettes here in Illinois just went up 80 cents a pack this last weekend and are going up another 80 cents a pack next month. That will put them at around seven dollars a pack in most places. That's a lot of cpap supplies at the end of a month or two. I bought a carton before the price went up, but when thats gone it's D-day for me. Here is what I was wondering, since smoking no doubt affects our success with cpap therapy, would the members here object to having a single thread to offer support to those quitting. Those who wish could post their successes or slipups and possibly get encouragement and tips from those who have already quit or anyone who just wants to say, way to go stick with it. If this is beyond the scope of this forum, I understand. Just wanted to toss out the idea out there to see if anyone was interested.
Don
I went cold turkey basically and found it really easy. The reason was after smoking a pack a day since the age of 14 i had my first child at 35 and that was my reason to quit, to be around for my kid (and now kids). Having a child is also an excellent distraction from the times when you normally get time to smoke because your always seem to be so busy with a kid.

If you quit smoking you feel better and younger. If you are doing CPAP you start to feel better and younger (hopefully). I'm 37 now and feel better than I did in my 20's.

Good luck with quitting.

mdbarthe

Post by mdbarthe » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:34 am

I agree with every one else so far. I just turned four years of no smoking last March 5th. Before that I had smoked for 30 years and was usually at 2 packs per day. I tried to quit countless times and was even off the smokes for five years at one time. It took one drag off a "bummed" cigarette in a bar and I was off and running again.

I used the Nicorette losenges to quit this final time. It was a breeze after the first two weeks. However, as with the other times I quit, the craving has never completely gone away. I could pick it back up right now without any problem if I let myself. I just try to keep remembering how much better I felt after the first month or so.

Like all the others have said, you have to be the one that is ready to make it work. You can't quit because someone else wants you to or you are going to "give it a try", you have to mean you are quitting for good.

One of the strongest things I did to help me through was whenever I wanted a cigarette, I just told myself, "I don't smoke." That seems way too simple, but it worked. I'd want a cigarette really bad and then think, "What am I doing? I don't smoke anymore; I quit." The more I said that to myself, the more I believed it. It became a source of strength to fight off the temptation and I still am using it today when I get cravings.

My wife is still smoking, like Snorbert's wife. I don't say anything to her, either. She went ballistic this week when she went to buy cigarettes because the price had gone up so drastically. She's talking about quitting, but I don't think it will work; she isn't doing it because she wants to; she's doing it because it's gotten more expensive.

MDBarthe

Driver59

Post by Driver59 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:28 am

Thanks to all who have replied. I quit cold turkey when I was living in California back in 1981. Was taking martial arts classes and couldn't compete with younger students who didn't smoke, so I decided that's it and the first month was pretty tough. Three years later, back in Illinois I was with a friend who smoked and I bummed one. The rest is history, back on the habit. Maybe starting an exercise program would help me see the benefits of quitting. Being a truck driver, I spend a lot of time alone with nothing to do but sit. Smoking has become a crutch to break the monotony. I quess I need to address that first. I have lost about 20 pounds since I found out I am diabetic a year ago and don't want to put that back on. Thanks again.
Don

rippersmom

Post by rippersmom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 pm

Driver59 wrote:Thanks to all who have replied. I quit cold turkey when I was living in California back in 1981. Was taking martial arts classes and couldn't compete with younger students who didn't smoke, so I decided that's it and the first month was pretty tough. Three years later, back in Illinois I was with a friend who smoked and I bummed one. The rest is history, back on the habit. Maybe starting an exercise program would help me see the benefits of quitting. Being a truck driver, I spend a lot of time alone with nothing to do but sit. Smoking has become a crutch to break the monotony. I quess I need to address that first. I have lost about 20 pounds since I found out I am diabetic a year ago and don't want to put that back on. Thanks again.
Don
Don,

I tied Chantix, I had the uncool side effect of vomiting....not fun. Although, I didn't smoke while I was puking in the toilet! Threw the Chantix away. Tried Wellbutrin...didn't do a thing for me. I know, for me, the only thing that will work is cold turkey, not a crutch. I have COPD and when I smoke too much, the nasty cough comes back.

I have finally made up my mind that I AM quitting and WILL succeed this time. The exhorbitant increase in the cost of cigarettes IS a deciding factor for me, by the way. Burning up that much money that I could spend on something worthwhile is a motivator. I bought my last 2 cartons last week, I've decided.

Hubby is a smoker and may or may not quit. That's his decision, I won't bug him about it. His sister quit and has been smoke free for 28 days. She used the Chantix and has had not bad side effects from it. She also was determined to quit. She is a good motivator for me, since she and her hubby stay here in AZ over the winter.

It will be tough to quit after 40+ years of smoking, but I'm a stubborn old broad and if I make up my mind to do something, I "gitter done".

Don, I find that, since I smoke a menthol cigarette, if I pop a lifesaver or an altoid or some minty gum in my mouth, I can decrease the craving for a smoke. I had cut down drastically last summer, when I had a scary breathing problem up in the mountains. So, I know I can do it if I make up my mind and I know you can, too.

I keep reminding myself that breathing well is a really good thing to be able to do, and smoking makes that kinda tough for me.

Good luck to you and wish me luck, too, I'm going to need it.

Nancy in AZ
Retirement Rocks!

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:24 pm

I was a pipe smoker for 40 years. Didn't think pipe smokers got hooked. Ha! Didn't think a pipe smoker would get a respiratory disease. Ha! I fooled me!!
(This would be a good place for one of those cute little smileys, but I haven't a clue how to put one in.)

Over the years I tried cold turkey, patches, and gum. In each case, it went well at first. Then, as the three month mark rolled around, I just couldn't take it any more -- I had to get some tobacco and fire up that pipe. Of course, I never really wanted to quit; I truly loved smoking my pipes. I was only trying to quit because it was good for me.

Then, about a year ago, I found myself unusually short of breath climbing stairs -- way shorter than could be explained by just being out of shape. I was subsequently diagnosed with COPD, and I knew I HAD to quit this time. My internist prescribed Chantix, and it worked like a charm. A three month regimen on Chantix and now I haven't smoked in over a year. I still miss it, but I so far have been able to resist any temptation. I'm sure if I had one smoke, though, that would be it, and I'd be smoking like a stove pipe again.

Chantix was magic for me.

Jim

BeanMeScot

Post by BeanMeScot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:32 pm

I've never smoked, thank God, but my boss is trying to quit now. He is currently backsliding after being smoke free but using a nicotine inhaler for several months. He tried the Chantix but he got very depressed and was having nasty vivid dreams. Then at the end of last year he heard those dreaded words from the doctor "there's something on your x-ray". It wasn't cancer but it was emphysema and he stopped using the nicotine inhalers but when he tried to stop using the inhalers, he started smoking again instead.

More than one person has said they stopped smoking using this book: http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smo ... 574&sr=1-1. I rarely think books help with something like this but you can see 450 people of about 500 people gave it a 4 or 5 star rating. I have suggested it to my boss.

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:02 pm

I've heard that Wellbutrin is prescribed by the Army to help smokers quit. Along with the gum, patches, etc. Since you're attempting to self-medicate an anxiety issue by smoking, this makes total sense to me.

At least, that's what *I* am doing when I smoke. And I keep going back to it. I will be clean for a year or so, then get pissed off about something, and buy a pack. I smoked just one pack during my father's death. And I'm vowing NOT to buy a pack for the trip to California for his funeral.

And I'm Prozac.

One of the things I do, to keep myself from smoking, is to do everything I normally would while smoking. I take long deep drags of air, hold them, and breathe them out. I often do this while driving, since that's my favorite smoke time.

BTW - I never smoke in my house, and I've never smoked and then worn any masks that I'm sending out for Test Drive. In fact, I've never worn any of the masks I'm sending out to Test Drive.

I say, layer up all the help you can get - Wellbutrin, patches, gum, hypnosis, deep breathing techniques.... Do everything you can.

Best of luck to you!!!!!!
Babs

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:06 pm

I've always said it would take a "dry out tank" for smokers for me to quit. Hey, they have "fat farms" for those who are obese and "dry out tanks" for alcoholics and druggies, why NOT "dry out tanks" for smokers? After all smoking is an addiction.

I was pleasantly surprised to pick up a pamphlet whilst at Mayo Clinic, Rochester. I'll be darned if THEY don't have a "dry out tank" for smokers!!! Of course, they call it their In-House Smoking Cessation Program. Its not cheap. But it isn't as expensive as I expected. They have an EXCELLENT heavy information folder about the program - including the entire regimen you would be expected to take part in. They help w/insurance. Most insurances, including Medicare, do pay SOME of the expense. Plan on at least your cost of a mid-price hotel and reasonably priced meals for 8 days. They don't fool around. You are kept as busy as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest the entire 8 days!! And you get one h*ll of an education. They use every tool at their disposal that you are willing to try: all of the nicotine replacement products, group counseling, individual counseling, dietary counseling, etc., etc, etc.

You report early on a Friday morning. From then on in, typical Mayo fashion, they don't waste any time! There is a blood draw for nicotine and cotinine levels to determine what level of nicotine replacement you need and then individual consult to determine which you want to try and you can use as many as you want. Some are started on 2 or even 3 of the 21 mg nicotine patches depending on your nicotine/cotinine blood levels. They even take "dippers" of tobacco products. The program has the highest rate in the country for successful tobacco use cessation. BUT - YOU have got to WANT to quit. There is only one other program in the country any where near similar - out in CA if I remember correctly - and that program still doesn't have the success rate of Mayo's "dry out tank" for smokers. They follow up by phone w/you as long as needed.

IF you are serious about quitting, and are willing to make the committment and put your money where your mouth is - it is a terrific program.

Adn by the way: nicotine is not harmful to your body and you could conceivably stay on a nicotine substitute the rest of your life w/o shortening your life span. Its the hot air on those delicate lung tissues and all the chemicals, etc. created by burning anything much less chemically treated tobacco and paper, etc. or, especially when it comes to dipping the irritating and damaging delicate mouth tissues, etc. of the juices.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:11 pm

Schick Shadel in Seattle used to offer in house smoking cessation programs. I haven't seen an ad on TV for them in years. We used to make fun of them that they were just using electro-shock therapy to create aversion to smoking, but I don't really know that for a fact.

http://www.schickshadel.com/

http://www.schickshadel.com/programs/av ... atment.php

Hmmmm.... Maybe the jokers were right...

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:11 pm

I've been a smoker on and off most of my adult life. I find it very easy to quit. MY problem is staying off them. Months later and in a few cases years after, for various reasons I start again. The actual quitting is easy for me. I know when I'm ready to do it and I do. After a few days or so I have no cravings, but a situation will come up and I light up and am hooked again. So stupid.....

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"

zomby

Post by zomby » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:02 pm

I quit smoking with hypnosis and it was very easy. I didn't miss it at all and never had another puff. That was maybe 7 years ago when cartons were going up to 25 bucks and I was ready to quit anyway.

You can try calling 1-800-LUNGUSA and see if they have any group hypnosis sessions at hospitals near you.

It was 50 dollars and well worth it.

Driver59

Post by Driver59 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:06 pm

I've tried patches, gum, Wellbutrin, losenges, and Chantix. Chantix made me want to open a vein so I wouldn't have to take anymore. I got very depressed and my wife made me quit taking it, didn't take much to talk me into that! Wellbutrin didn't take away the craving, just the enjoyment of smoking. That didn't last long either. The nicotene losenges worked pretty well for me, but I got hooked on them and started going through them like a bag of candy. They are dang near as expensive as cigarettes. I made six weeks without a smoke using them last time. Got a supply on hand, ready to give it another go. I never thought about the electro- shock thing, wonder if a cattle prod would work? Never mind, I don't even want to mention that around my wife! I will check to see if hypnosis is available near here, should be. Thank you.
Don