Excellent Replacement for Mouth Taping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

Excellent Replacement for Mouth Taping

Post by roster » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:48 am

This device even has a valve that allows you to breath in through the mouth. New member, drdnorris, posted briefly about it in another thread. It is a mouth plug that prevents leaks from the mouth. Here is what the Dr. Norris's website ( http://www.nevadatmj.com/treatment.php ) says about the plug:
The Mouthplug is a modification of an Oracle mask (Fisher & Paykel). We have modified it to be worn in the mouth while the patient uses a standard nasal CPAP mask in order to eliminate mouth leak. (We have added) a one way valve that allows the patient to breathe in while using the standard nasal mask.
At least it is an excellent idea but since I have never tried it,
let the buyer beware.
What do you guys thinK?

Dr. Norris, Will you offer the mouth plug for internet purchase?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

nomoore

Re: Excellent Replacement for Mouth Taping

Post by nomoore » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:13 am

That is certainly interesting. I have thought about trying to do something like that. I never really looked at the oracle mask before though. I like the looks of this thing.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks for posting that Rooster.

It really looks interesting! I would like to give it a try. I'm going to see if he would offer it on the internet, if I can contact him on the site. Living in Canada, it is probably the only way I would get it.

We do have a dentist here in London Ontario who specializes in dental devices for sleep apnea. I'm going to contact him as well and see if he can get it for me.

Thanks!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:59 am

rooster wrote: What do you guys thinK?
That looks like a really great idea. It would solve my main concern about taping, and I would like to try that device. Unfortunately, I could not find any way on that website to order one, so I guess I'm left with trying to make one or something similar based on the principle. I don't know how I will do that, but I know some really smart people and will definitely try to figure out how to do that.

Looks like you'd still have to use a chin strap, though.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:07 am

That looks like it's being worn with an Activa. The Activa comes down and covers my top lip, so no way would I be able to fit anything like that under it. If you have a long space between your nose and lip, it might work. Personally, I'd rather tape and wear a chinstrap than try to balance yet another thing on my face.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

roster

Post by roster » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 am

I have PM'd Dr. Norris about internet purchases and will post here if he replies.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:23 am

That has great potential.
As SAG (StillAnotherGuest) mentioned, the Oracle has a non-rebreathing valve (it's on the far end of the narrow tube, not on the mouth plug).

So do Fisher and Paykel's full face mask masks.

You can see it in the diagram at the left side of page 2 in here
http://www.fphcare.com/osa/pdf/HC431/185043239.pdf
and here:
http://www.fphcare.com/osa/pdf/HC432/185044542.pdf

Now, the big question is of course: would this valve fit onto other mask tubes.

Or -
- would anyone make a valve like this to fit on other tubes? Without really recommending taping, the manufacturers of the valve could sell it could as an accessory to all masks - and tapers could use it and feel more secure about taping...
O.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:24 am

That's great Rooster!

Thanks!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:12 am

LoQ wrote:I would like to try that device. Unfortunately, I could not find any way on that website to order one
As best I could tell from the website info, they don't take orders. Looks like it involves becoming one of their patients -- consultation, exam, custom-making it on the premises for the patient.

On the "Contact Us" page there's a map with the full address, so I guess a person could snail mail them for more info. And there's a phone number at the bottom of the page. Also has an email form to "Fill out this form to meet with a doctor at the Sleep Apnea & TMJ Center of Nevada -- A representative will contact you to
schedule an appointment."

I was able to get that form to "Submit" by filling in just a first name and email address, and leaving the phone number box blank. Will see if there's an email response ("A representative will contact you to schedule an appointment" popped up after hitting "Submit") provides any way to ask a question.

If I really were interested in asking questions about, say, the Oracle mod, I suppose I'd just use the phone number. I'd call the office directly, asking something like, "Without making an appointment, could I buy just the Oracle modification for controlling mouth air leaks, and have it mailed to me so I could take it to my local dentist for fitting?"
LoQ wrote:Looks like you'd still have to use a chin strap, though.
Guess it depends on how the mod works inside the mouth. If it can reliably hold the upper/lower jaw together (perhaps a la doublesided boil'n'bite mouthguard) a person might not need a chin strap with it. Also might depend on how strongly a person's jaw drops.

Anyway, I can imagine a lot of reasons why it would be advisable to have a dentist handling the fitting -- TMJ concerns, moving or loosening teeth, changing the bite, etc.
LoQ wrote:so I guess I'm left with trying to make one or something similar based on the principle. I don't know how I will do that, but I know some really smart people and will definitely try to figure out how to do that.
Cool. If you come up with something that works, LoQ, let us know!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:53 pm

What's to custom make? Can't you just buy an Oracle and lab rat it down to this? Which I have contemplated doing.

Hey, Dad's got a workshop full of power tools. Might as well learn to use them while he can still train me....

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

roster

Post by roster » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Babette wrote:What's to custom make? Can't you just buy an Oracle and lab rat it down to this? Which I have contemplated doing.

Hey, Dad's got a workshop full of power tools. Might as well learn to use them while he can still train me....

Cheers,
B.
You need to add a one-way valve to the Oracle. Also, it sounds like you need to fit a mouthpiece to the Oracle. Not so easy in a home workshop.

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Why add a mouthpiece and a one-way valve to the Oracle? Why not just add a one-way valve to a mouthpiece and call it good?

Snorkel mouthpiece is sounding better and better......

Okay, so what other use is there for a plastic one-way valve, so I can go find one? Aquariums?

LOL,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:10 pm

HMMMMMM.... CPR mask has one way valve......

http://www.savelives.com/cgi-bin/instoc ... itemspot=1

Hmmmmm.....
B.

TSSleepy

Post by TSSleepy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:40 pm

My intial CPAP gear is headed towards me from cpap.com, so I'm still a newbie.

I'm a mouthbreather, so I was very interested in the Oracle oral mask as a way to minimize issues with leaking. I've purchased one of the Oracles and an Ultra Mirage FFM to have two options.

I don't think I grind my teeth, but I know I occasionally bite my tongue in my sleep. And that's very unpleasant and painful! So I'd be interested in a cpap mask solution that was a "boil/bite mouthpiece" hooked up to an oral mask with extremely minimal headgear (or no headgear at all, if I could get away with it).

It's something I plan to lab-rat for myself once I start sleeping better and get some actual experience with mask interfaces.

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:31 pm

I'd like to hear from those that may try this device. My concern (with myself) relates to the fact that not only does my mouth open...but it tends to drop open at times. I would wonder whether this would in turn cause some sort of leak. Also, I really like sleeping on my sides and have great success with the swift lt. I wonder whether this set up allows for comfortable side sleeping.