Slightly off topic - Reverse Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GaryGarland

Slightly off topic - Reverse Apnea

Post by GaryGarland » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:28 am

Hi All,
I've been up now since 3 am, it's now 4:18 am and I doubt I'll get any additional sleep. I got 3 hours the night before (using apap)
Sure, I just had 2 cups of coffee about 30 minutes ago, then a cup of tea, and some crackers and peanut butter - and frankly, I'm exhausted and dying to sleep.
The good news is we had our third daughter today (well, technically, yesterday, February 12). The bad news is I'm "sleeping" in the hospital room with my wife - and as i was too stupid to bring my cpap, per her, "my snoring was shaking the room." and as she had a c-section and more, i have to take one for the team.
the few times i drifted tonight, when i awoke my throat was very sore (may also be getting a cold, to boot)
but as she said around 2 am, "I really miss your machine."
i'll sleep home tonight, or at worst bring the equipment to the hospital, but boy do i miss my sleep!
as an additional off topic, since her procedure, and still going, she's wearing two shin-length "blood pressure cuffs" on her legs - I never saw anything like it - they each have 3 tubes - and they're hooked to a little machien that looks like a cpap. they intermittently pump and release air to avoid blood clots, and it sounds a LOT like cpap (just the timing is different) - nifty!
pps - exhausted ranting - the lights are on full strength in the room - they just drew blood, etc. - if you have OSA, you do NOT want to spend the night in the hospital if you want a good night's sleep. I recommend a bench at times square next to an electrical outlet instead

KevinMWHM

Re: Slightly off topic - Reverse Apnea

Post by KevinMWHM » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:20 am

Congratz on the new addition - I remember my first night sleeping on the "daddy bed" next to my wife in the maternity ward... them things ain't made for comfort!!!

If I'm left without a machine, a trick I used to use before I ever knew about cpap was to use a small fan on my night stand and point it right at my face. Certainly not the best fix in the world but in a bind it's probably what I'd do. If nothing else, it might drown out the "honey, it's your turn to hold the kid"...

ResMed Escape II
ResMed H4i
Quatro Full Face (medium)
Pressure 13
No Ramp

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:49 am

Congrats on the new baby. Glad to hear that all is well!
Brenda

Bluebonnet_Gal

Post by Bluebonnet_Gal » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:08 am

Congratulations on the new family member!

Gail

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Congratulations on the new family member! Any other stats besides, "She's here!"

Those leg massagers are common after surgery these days for the time before you're allowed out of bed. Prevents clots and all. Actually kind of soothing.

As far as sleeping in a hospital, it only makes it more entertaining to try to get any if you have OSA. Remember the joke about waking you up to give you a sleeping pill? It's true....

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:59 pm

A new baby - now that's worth losing sleep over!

I know since I began to get some sleep after years of deprivation, I've become very protective of every minute I can get. I secretly hope nothing comes up that requires me to choose.

Sure hope you've had time to catch up on your sleep before this blessed event, cause I bet you're gonna feel almost like pre-cpap days for a while. But at least it's temporary and with great "daddy" rewards. Congratulations.

Debjax

Post by Debjax » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Congratulations!
GaryGarland wrote:she's wearing two shin-length "blood pressure cuffs" on her legs - I never saw anything like it - they each have 3 tubes - and they're hooked to a little machien that looks like a cpap. they intermittently pump and release air to avoid blood clots, and it sounds a LOT like cpap (just the timing is different) - nifty!
Oh, those things feel so darn good...when I had my gall bladder out, I tried to talk the hospital into letting me take mine home...

I'm still hot....it just comes in flashes...
iMob Friend Code - 179-961-093

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:32 pm

Congrats to you and your wife, Gary!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:40 am

Congratulations, Gary!
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:18 pm

What great news Gary! I don't mean the fact that you were without your machine! Congratulations to your family on the arrival of this new addition!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

SharkBait
Location: Texas -- the ugly part... El Paso? No, not quite THAT ugly...

Post by SharkBait » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Congrats Gary,

Good news is you'll get to catch up on your sleep in just a few short months when the baby finally starts sleeping through most of the night...

Encore Pro 1.8.49; Encore Pro Analyzer 0.8.9 by James Skinner
SnuggleHose - Got the 8 foot and cut it down to 6, used the rest for mask hoses.
Memory Foam Pillow - Cut my own out of my Tempur-pedic pillow. (works great!)
Hose Mgmt - Velcro Tie Strap

junie

Post by junie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Congrats to you and your wife,

Additional Comments: Pressure #11, FF. mask Flexifit 431 & 432, also Mirage Swift ll Nasal Pillow,
Judy

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Oh the joys of a new addition!!

Congratulations on the new baby!!! I amm soooooo glad it is you instead of me!!

I have three grandbabies (oldest son, youngest son, and youngest daughter) due starting the last of May to the middle of June. I am so excited!!! They will make 11 for me and the joy of spoiling them rotten and sending them home!!
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

RachelM

Post by RachelM » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:45 am

During my daughter's surgery last year I spent a few nights on a hospital cot beside her bed. I brought my cpap with and set it up and plugged it in and was able to get in as much shut eye as you can in a hospital with the staff in and out all night checking vitals. I did get a few odd looks as some staff was eyeing the equipment at my side. At least I did get more sleep than I would have without cpap.