Sleep Study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingBeauty3

Sleep Study

Post by SleepingBeauty3 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:40 am

When I last saw my Doc, I asked her if I stopped breathing during the study. She answered, yes many times... 35 times an hour (or is it per minute ,cannot remember) . Which ever it was it was bad and it really scared me; afterwards I thought that I was going to die in my sleep

They all told me that I breathe in very shallow breathes, so I have two things going on. I forget the name of the second thing, if anyone knows any info on shallow breathing I sure could use it.

How long does it take a person to get use to the CPAP? I am still taking it off every single night and I do not know what I can do about it!? One night here recently I took it off 3 times in one night!!! This cannot keep going on!!!
And surgery is not an option, because I just had major surgery in July of last year and it must be paid off. Besides, the kind of surgery that the Doc's is just too drastic; I just can't wrap my brain around that one. Also, I know of someone who had it done, but years later their Apnea has come back. Would it even be worth the doing?

SleepingBeauty3

KengEsq

Re: Sleep Study

Post by KengEsq » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:10 am

How long have you been using CPAP? What is your pressure setting? How are your numbers (leak, AHI, AI, HI & usage)?
Why are you taking the mask off and do you know you do it when you do it? Have your tried other masks?

Maybe with a little relevant information someone here might be able to give their opinion in response to you questions.

Shallow breathing is your HI numbers (hyponea index). AI is your apnea index.

SleepingBeauty3

Post by SleepingBeauty3 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:01 pm

If I can remember correctly, I have been using my CPAP about 4 months. At first it was set on 10, now it is on 14. I do not know when I remove my mask only that it is done in my sleep. I do not have access to any numbers and I do not know how to access them. The Doc is the one doing the readings and they make the changes. That part wasn't explained to me.

SleepingBeauty3

KengEsq

Post by KengEsq » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:18 pm

SleepingBeauty3 wrote:If I can remember correctly, I have been using my CPAP about 4 months. At first it was set on 10, now it is on 14. I do not know when I remove my mask only that it is done in my sleep. I do not have access to any numbers and I do not know how to access them. The Doc is the one doing the readings and they make the changes. That part wasn't explained to me.

SleepingBeauty3
If you are using a ResMed S8 Elite II machine you do have access to some efficacy and use data (numbers). If you press and hold the two bottons to the left and right of the up and down buttons a menu screen will appear and you can press up or down arrows to access usage and results menus and then scroll thru those menus to get your use data (look for day and number of hours) and your results (Leak, AI, HI and AHI).

I know that I have unknowingly removed my mask a few times. I have no idea why.

KengEsq

Post by KengEsq » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:30 pm

If your DME provider or MD did not set up your S8 Elite II for you to access the "Smart Data" you should ask them to do so or you may not be able to access your numbers (although I think you can if you press the left and right button and hold. Rather than a "Results" showing up, the menu might be the "Smart Data" menu - I forget exactly because the Elite's menus are slightly different from the AutoSet menus. However, your numbers are in the machine and you can get a look at them with or, if you enter the Clinical Menu, without help from you DME, RT or MD. To access the clinical menu press and hold the right button and the down button and wait for the message "Welcome to the Clinical Menu."