Kenny's CPAP Thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tattooyu

Re: Kenny's CPAP Thread

Post by tattooyu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Janknitz wrote:I'm getting tired of that mad baby pic. Post a smiling one! Nothing cuter than a toothless grin
Better?
Sleep well and live better!

bailachel

Post by bailachel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:38 pm

AWWW Cute!

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:52 pm

tattooyu wrote:
Janknitz wrote:I'm getting tired of that mad baby pic. Post a smiling one! Nothing cuter than a toothless grin
Better?
Jonah's adorable, I love his little wrinkled brow! Wonder what he's thinking about?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Marietjie

Post by Marietjie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Ah, Sweet! can I have him - I just love this little boy!
Kenny, please start a new OT - Pics of Jonah!
(or Pics of Jonah and other Forum babies)
I don't want to miss any pics of him! (or any of the other adorable babies)

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:44 am

Hi folks! I'm checking in after a fairly long absence. Overall I'd say my therapy has been going well. There is one issue I'd like to ask for help about.

LEAKS

Sudden, unexplained... leaks.

Since 2/2009, I've gotten my therapy dialed in very well. AHI averages 2-3 most nights (used to be between 0-2), and those are usually hypopneas. Leaks with my machine were between 0.0 and 0.1 L/sec (0-6 L/min for you other folks). Pretty darn good. I've been sleeping very well and not feeling tired during the day. (By the way, I've cut almost all wheat/gluten out of my diet and almost all my mystery symptoms have gone away!)

Within the last month, my leaks have been steadily increasing. I've been getting 0.1-0.3 L/sec (6-18 L/min), and this morning I woke up with a 0.44 L/sec (26.4 L/min)! Strange thing is, my mouth wasn't really too dry; I haven't checked my data on ResScan yet (it's been a while). Nothing about the bed has changed: same mattress, same pillows (Pursleep Regenesis). Nothing about my mask has changed: Swift FX w/Pursleep PAPcap (fairly new).

The only thing that has changed is my diet (no wheat/gluten) and I am losing some weight, albeit very slowly. Could it be that I have less fat under my chin, so the PAPcap isn't working as well? I crank that sucker pretty darn snug. It may be time for new nasal pillows, but I've never had leaks like this before when new pillows were needed (and were ordered two days ago).

I'm starting to think there may be a hole in my main hose. What's a good test for that?

Thankfully, I haven't felt too sleepy with the leaks, so that's good, but I know I could feel better with less.

HELP!

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:33 am

tattooyu wrote: I'm starting to think there may be a hole in my main hose. What's a good test for that?
Here's my test: I hook one end of the hose to the aerator of my bathroom faucet---it's jus about a perfect fit. I turn the water on full force. And then almost close off the other end of the hose. If the's a leak, I get sprayed in the face, but it's quite clear where the leak is----you can marker it with a waterproof marker if need be.

I typically "close" the open end of the hose off by hooking my small hose and the Swift FX pillows onto the main hose as normal. And then I pinch one of the nostril pillows closed.
[/quote]

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:35 am

robysue wrote:
tattooyu wrote: I'm starting to think there may be a hole in my main hose. What's a good test for that?
Here's my test: I hook one end of the hose to the aerator of my bathroom faucet---it's jus about a perfect fit. I turn the water on full force. And then almost close off the other end of the hose. If the's a leak, I get sprayed in the face, but it's quite clear where the leak is----you can marker it with a waterproof marker if need be.

I typically "close" the open end of the hose off by hooking my small hose and the Swift FX pillows onto the main hose as normal. And then I pinch one of the nostril pillows closed.
[/quote]

Thanks, robysue! I was thinking something similar to that setup myself. The current hose I'm using (I have three) might be a bit snug to fit over the aerator, but I'll give it a shot tonight.

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:52 pm

No leaks in the main hose. Last night my leak was 0.18 L/s (10.8 L/min). AHI: 3.3, AI: 0.3. I'm beginning to think it's really my pillows breaking down. I REALLY hope the new ones get here soon. I have the pillows prior to the ones I'm using now and am thinking of experimenting boiling them as I've read on here a while back that it seems to restore some of their original stiffness.

Has anybody tried boiling their nasal pillows for the Swift FX?

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks for the updated pic of your handsome little guy. Could that have anything to do with Dori posting her granddaughters' pics?

Glad to hear you're doing well - interesting about the wheat/gluten changes and improvement of your symptoms. I've often considered making that change but then my desires get in my way. Just maybe...

Hope the new pillows solve the leaks.

Kathy

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:22 pm

kteague wrote:Thanks for the updated pic of your handsome little guy. Could that have anything to do with Dori posting her granddaughters' pics?

Kathy

We're currently in private negotiations. I told him Jonah can have his choice!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:55 am

So after a few months of mediocre (for me) numbers, I decided to increase my pressure last night from 14.8 min. to 15.0 min., despite having slightly higher than normal leaks. In years past, I had 0.00-0.08 L/s leak max. and near zero AHI.

The past few months (averages)
AHI: ~3
AI: ~0.2-0.4
Leak: ~0.1-0.3 L/s or 6-18 L/min

Last night
AHI: 0.9
AI: 0.0
Leak: 0.14 L/s or 8.4 L/min

I'll be interested to see how the next week goes with these numbers. Unfortunately, my suspicions were correct, and I had more aerophagia than usual. I am using the same mask with fresh pillow and a fairly new PAPcap. Not sure what has changed. I'm roughly the same weight, maybe a little less? Strange. Not sure why the leaks. No leaks in the hoses that I can find.

I'm going to view my last week's data on my card via ResScan to see when the leaks are happening.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:21 am

You wouldn't think such a tiny change would make a difference in the numbers - or in belly air. Guess we never know exactly how close to a "tipping point" we are. Hopefully the increased belly air is just a side note and not a sleep buster. Let us know how this works out over time.

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:55 pm

kteague wrote:You wouldn't think such a tiny change would make a difference in the numbers - or in belly air. Guess we never know exactly how close to a "tipping point" we are. Hopefully the increased belly air is just a side note and not a sleep buster. Let us know how this works out over time.
I know, right? I did eat a fattier meal than normal for dinner, so that probably factored into the gas issue. We'll see what a week of the new pressure holds.

I'm still quite puzzled as to why my leaks have doubled, albeit still within tolerances for pretty good therapy.

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:51 am

Damn it! I really needed a good night sleep! This is four failures in a row.

Last night's numbers
AHI: 4.7
AI: 0.7
HI: 4.0
Leaks: 0.28 L/s (16.8 L/min)

I feel like absolutely shite today! Yesterday, I went to the doctor and my BP was 160/90, even though I had taken my medication (I haven't missed a day in almost ten years). Usually, I have whitecoat hypertension, but when they check it again AFTER the appointment it's better. Not this time. Also had pounding headache, stomach issues, anxiety. All my pre-CPAP symptoms.

I guess I'm mostly venting, but I'm getting a little concerned about this trend. Perhaps the increased pressure is actually creating MORE leaks, even though the increase itself is slight. Might have to resort to mouth-taping, which I really don't want to do.

<sigh>

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:13 am

I was debating resorting to mouth taping. I hate the idea. Can't cough, if my sinuses clog, can't breathe... I wake up with it coming off or can't get it off.
But on XPAP your therapy is lost when your mouth opens, and dry mouth is painfull!
Last week I started wearing nasal strips with my fx and my leak line is the best I have had in a year. Almost none last night. I dropped my pressure 1.0 cm the first night because with the strips it felt like the pressure was too high. 7 to 6.
If I am opening my mouth because I am not getting enough air through my nose, it makes more sense to me to open my nose rather than tape my mouth shut!
Nasal strips are way more comfortable that tape on my mouth!
YMMV, but it's working for me.
If I do a PSG again, I will wear nasal strips.