Another OSA forum??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tomjax

Another OSA forum??

Post by tomjax » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:25 am

Looks like AWAKE has entered the ring with another forum that looks a lot like this one.
http://www.awakeinamerica.org/Forum/
How many do we need?
I am aware of sleepnet.com, TAS, several at yahoogroups.com.
Any thoughts on these others and any I have missed?
Biggest problem I have with this one is that every few days a newbie comes in and reinvents the wheel by asking the same old questions that have been covered about a billion times.
Oh well.
thought for the day:
"Don't criticize your wife. If she were perfect, she would have married much better than you."

sleep forums

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:27 am

There are many of them......depending on what you are looking for. There are website forums for the sleep "professionals" to complain about the sleep patients, there are forums to complain about the sleep "professionals" and then there are forums for the doctors who just hate everybody in general.

Yes, I do agree,,,,some of the topics are beaten to death. There should be a section developed for "NEWBIES" that responds to the most frequently asked questions..such as mask recommendations..how many different ways can we say Activa, Breeze and Swift. how to change pressure settings.....this has been repeatedly answered...why not just have a permanent post. If the forum administrator or moderator is not comfortable doing it, than have a permanent post by members. Other examples would be mouth taping, humidifier adjustments, machine recommendations. I agree that it gets really frustrating and some of us simply do not have the TIME to read every post to see if it is somehing new and although we are understanding of "newbie" problems, we also do not have the time to carefully respond to the same question repeatedly and make links and search etc. I personally have maybe 30 minutes a day to browse on the internet period, so there would br an advantage to having a "For Newbies Only" section.

JPZ

Re: Another OSA forum??

Post by JPZ » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:52 am

<<Biggest problem I have with this one is that every few days a newbie comes in and reinvents the wheel by asking the same old questions that have been covered about a billion times.>>

Gee, sorry. Will try not to let it happen again.

A Newbie

yawn

Post by yawn » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:25 am

tomjax wrote: Biggest problem I have with this one is that every few days a newbie comes in and reinvents the wheel by asking the same old questions that have been covered about a billion times.
Wow..that's pretty harsh Weren't you every a "newbie"
I think we have every right to ask any question we want and you have the right to ignore them. As I've said in other threads, there is very limited information on this topic and its treatments. This message board has been a "god send" for me...I've learned so much in just a few weeks....more than any of the "professionals" were willing to teach me. I'm sorry if I'm "reinventing the wheel" but I will continue to ask questions and, like I said before, you can just ignore them.

johnnygoodman

Post by johnnygoodman » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:46 am

Howdy,

cpaptalk.com is keenly aware that there is a need to gather common new CPAP user questions together so they can be easily read and referenced.

We have created software to facilitate this and are in the process of adding content to our system. Once the information we offer meets cpap.com/cpaptalk.com standards, we'll release it and improve it further based off of user feedback.

We are forbidden by Federal law from publishing pressure changing instructions.

Johnny

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:42 am

Johnny,
Would you please post the law, including reference numbers (statue etc.)

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:57 pm

I'm always sorry to see anything that could discourage a new person from asking a question, no matter how old hat it might seem to people with more cpap experience.

There's no telling how many new people reading this (and other boards) are trying to get their nerve up to post a question....perhaps holding back asking because they don't want to be scoffed at or lectured for asking something basic.

I sincerely hope that anyone who has found himself/herself caught up in sleep apnea and has questions will have no hesitation to ask anything - no matter how basic - on this and any other message board. I don't think there can ever be too many boards or too many of the same questions out there.

The more information available the better, imho, for the sake of all the new people who have just found out they have sleep disordered breathing and have the same questions in their minds that we all had at one time, too.

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:02 pm

I am with you Rested Gal.

I remember last year at this time when I found out that I was to become a "Hosehead" I was so depressed and did not know anyone who had SA and I felt that I needed to talk to someone, get more information and get the support and encouragement that I needed. I found it on this forum and I am so thankful that everyone who had heard it over and over took the time to help me.

Any newie should not be afraid to come forward because the help you get from most of the people on this list is invaluable and is so important to understanding and coping with this disorder.

Thanks to all......

Judy (an oldie by now and in more ways than one)

yawn

Post by yawn » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:53 pm

JudyAnn wrote:
I remember last year at this time when I found out that I was to become a "Hosehead" I was so depressed and did not know anyone who had SA and I felt that I needed to talk to someone, get more information and get the support and encouragement that I needed.
Judy, thanks for sharing that you were depressed about this. I knew I had it for at least a year but didn't want to face it. I finally couldn't stand it any more and talked to my Dr. I went through the 2 sleep studies and now have my CPAP machine. The only other person I know of that has OSA is my Mom. She was diagnosed after they found out she needed a quadruple by-pass. We almost lost her twice during that process. That was almost exactly 1 year ago. My Mom never did get used to her machine and finally gave up on it. So, I was really afraid that I would never get used to it either and the day that I finally got the machine, I just sobbed and sobbed. I felt so alone!! It didn't help that the sleep technician told me that OSA can cause heart trouble. My Mom is 78 yrs. old and never knew she had a heart condition. She had open heart surgery 3 times in 1 day!!! She essentially died in the elevator on her way to the ICU after the 1st surgery. They brought her back and had to operate 2 more times that day. It's truly a miracle that she's alive. I drove 9 hours to get to her and was devastated to see her in the ICU...it was horrible. When I got my CPAP machine, all I could think was that if I couldn't get used to it, I would end up just like my Mom. Luckily Mom is doing better although she just had a different by-pass surgery 2 days ago. This time they had to do a by-pass for her legs (long story). I just got off the phone with her and she's doing well.
So Judy, and RG, and Nitro Dan....and everybody else, THANK-YOU for being willing to help all us newbies. To us (or me) this problem is absolutely terrifying and confusing. I had no idea that OSA could have such serious repercussions. I don't even know if OSA is an illness or syndrome or whatever else. All I know is I have it and I want to learn everything I can about it so that I can protect my heart and be around long enough to see my grandchildren (many many years from now).
This board is very important to new people....you are the people that can educate us and I really appreciate that you are willing to take the time to do so.
I'll get off my soap box now...thanks for listening..Amy

tomjax

newbies

Post by tomjax » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:01 pm

Sorry if you think I was harsh, but it remains true.
I wish there was a way when a new person signed on, a message would be sent them to look over and do searches or at least look at some postings.
It will continue of course and we should never discourage postings from anyone, but it could be more effective if a person simply looked before posting away.
Sorry again...........

yawn

Post by yawn » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:26 pm

When I first found this board, I didn't know how it operated. I still don't know alot about how to use it so I just keep trying things. I had used a message board for quilting and knew about posting questions. I have tried using the search function but when I click on Search, nothing happens. I agree that it would be wonderful to have an "introductory lesson" to help us become familiar with OSA and the different PAP machines. I would have loved to have something like that when I found y'all. But, that wasn't the case. Luckily, there are enough people here that don't mind answering the same question over and over...and that's great for us newbies. I understand your frustration with us and appreciate your patience.
Amy

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:25 pm

JPZ wrote:<<Biggest problem I have with this one is that every few days a newbie comes in and reinvents the wheel by asking the same old questions that have been covered about a billion times.>>

Gee, sorry. Will try not to let it happen again.

A Newbie
LOL !!!

Cheers & good for you

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

dsm

Re: newbies

Post by dsm » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:36 pm

tomjax wrote:Sorry if you think I was harsh, but it remains true.
I wish there was a way when a new person signed on, a message would be sent them to look over and do searches or at least look at some postings.
It will continue of course and we should never discourage postings from anyone, but it could be more effective if a person simply looked before posting away.
Sorry again...........

Tom,

I understand your issue. I also like the reply that said cpaptalk are looking for ways to encapsulate common wisdom/knowledge.

But newbies are important because they will become tomorrows contributors here. I like the notion that everyone who gets help should try to assist 10 others (or whatever).

I know that I won't be a regular here forever but while I am I want to help those who need it most (mostly newbies) but I do agree that a pool of common wisdom that is easy to search, easy to access would make the board a better place.

One point I want to make re newbies though is that often the simple (sometimes halting) question(s) they ask, are a way for them to try to build up confidence while they come to grips with the scary new world of CPAP. I am not sure I like the idea of say having a 'Newbies' corner where simple questions can be asked - smacks of a 'kindergarten'.

What are some suggestions on satisfying the newbies & the old timers in a single board.

Cheers

DSM

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

Last edited by dsm on Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Newbies, Postings and Subject Headings

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:58 pm

The point was not to ban Newbies...the suggestion was to have a section where Newbies could READ some basic information and then start asking questions. Sure we were all Newbies once, but maybe the solution is to separate the board into sections such as.....Mask Info, Machine Info, How to stop leaks, New research, New equipment....then you could just quickly look at the sections of interest to you. The way the posting is done now, from most of the headings, you do not have a clue what the subject of the post is going to be. If EVERYONE made a concerted effort to give a good subject line....that in itself would be helpful.

Rested Gal, we are all aware that you enjoy the many HOURS that you spend answering and responding...Kudos to you...but for those of us who are working fulltime, raising families and just going about the routine chores of daily living, it would be very helpful to have a board that is divided into useful sections. Not everyone might be interested in research, nor are they interested in masks because they have already struggled through this area before. Maybe they could start a Rested Gal responds to Newbies and they can go directly to you. NOONE IS TELLING THEM NOT TO ASK. A post with the heading HELP should not be allowed. It is not too much to ask for people to take 2 minutes to think of a good heading for their post. If the Newbies would like the longterm users to go away, then so be it. I hope Rested Gal has all the answers.

JPZ

Post by JPZ » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:49 pm

From "Guest" - "A post with the heading HELP should not be allowed."

Thanks a lot.

Wonder why you used the anonymous user name, though.