Gas and Bloating Caused by CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lanny

Re: Gas and Bloating Caused by CPAP

Post by lanny » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:29 pm

i use the pillow type mask u dont get gas from this type i use to have the same thing you have

roster

Post by roster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:04 pm

lanny wrote:i use the pillow type mask u dont get gas from this type i use to have the same thing you have
And that is because the pressure is escaping from your mouth with the nasal pillows. When this happens, your pressure is ineffective and you are still having apneas.

Here is one idea to try for gas (aerophagia): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43663

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

boroguy

Post by boroguy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 pm

I have had a cpap for over two years now and as far as I am concerned this machine should be put into the garbage and kept there.
I have been prescribed three different masks, including a full face mask. I have had trouble with all three of them.
I have told the Doctor who prescribed this stupid machine that I think he is wrong with his diagnosis and that I seem to actually sleep better with out the machine than with with it.
In turn he has told me that he would like me to use the machine at least 1 hour a night. This Doctor has also told me he is worried about me, however he refuses to tell me what he is worried about.
To me the best place for this machine other than the garbage can is a listing on e-bay. Now before you ask it is fisher-pykel machine with a lousy humidifier.
Also when this doctor ordered the full face mask, I was told that I had an appointment with the dme at a certain date and time, I showed up 5 minutes before the scheduled appointment time only to find a for lease sign in the building that the dme had been at.
It turns out that they had moved 7 months earlier and didn't notify there patients that they had moved.
As for this doctor, he will be very lucky if I ever keep an appointment with him again.

Ananij1987

Post by Ananij1987 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:26 am

На мой взгляд, это актуально, буду принимать участие в обсуждении.

solutionseeker

Post by solutionseeker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:46 pm

Hello i have been suffering from GERD and IBS for years, also mild sleep apnea...i recently started using my cpap more often than before and im having horible gas and bloating. Im suppose to use my chin strap to keep my mouth closed, which i dont do , although i would in the beginning when i would use my cpap only sometimes...Does anyone think that by me not using the chin strap to keep my mouth closed when on cpac could be the colprit for all my gas.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:49 pm

solutionseeker wrote:Hello i have been suffering from GERD and IBS for years, also mild sleep apnea...i recently started using my cpap more often than before and im having horible gas and bloating. Im suppose to use my chin strap to keep my mouth closed, which i dont do , although i would in the beginning when i would use my cpap only sometimes...Does anyone think that by me not using the chin strap to keep my mouth closed when on cpac could be the colprit for all my gas.

You need to think differently about this problem.

First, if you are using a nasal mask or nasal pillows and your mouth opens, the pressure will escape through your mouth and the windows in your bedroom will be blown out.

No wait. That is not right. (Its been one of those days!) Let me start over.

First, if you are using a nasal mask or a nasal pillow and your mouth opens, the pressure will escape through your mouth and the CPAP therapy will not be effective - you will still be having apneas!

So the solution is to use a chinstrap or a full face mask. Careful about the chinstrap because they do not hold the mouth closed for many people and the therapy is still ineffective. You would then try a full face mask and if your mouth opens the pressure is still maintained and the therapy is effective.

Second, GERD can be caused by obstructive sleep apnea. So you really need to get your CPAP treatment under control and use it every time you sleep. This might eliminate reflux.

Finally, get that mouth opening problem solved and then let's check if you still have gas/bloating. And BTW, when CPAP causes gas/bloating it is called CPAP aerophagia.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

Wonka

Post by Wonka » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:00 pm

KSMike wrote:Not really related anymore, but since Nissen fundoplication was mentioned, I'll throw in a data point. My wife had it done 14 years ago and it was totally, immediately, and lastingly effective at eliminating indigestion.

I had this done 3 months ago, and after two procedures to enlarge the "wrap" I'm still having swallowing problems and acid reflux. I'm not sure I'd have this done again.

pianogurl

Post by pianogurl » Mon May 07, 2012 3:49 am

I also have the bloating that causes me to double over in pain. However, suggesting the Nissen fundoplication should not be taken lightly. This is a very serious surgery that should not be taken lightly or allowed to be done by a doctor without a LOT of experience. I had a moderate hiatel hernia and low pressure in the bottom sphincter. The first laparoscopic surgery caused many problems that had to be corrected with an open procedure by a Dr. Rice at the Cleveland Clinic. My jaw had been broken and my stomach was twisted by the first doctor and I also now have seizures. It is 5:42 am and I just took Gas-X that helps minimally. The gas usually has to go through my system causing much pain. In addition, my Nissen has slipped. The esophagus is not something that can be worked on indefinitely....in fact three times causes greater incidence of losing the esophagyus according to my thoracic surgeon.
Anyway, I feel your pain and wish you luck. I have not yet found a sollution but will post if I find something that works.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:43 am

Hi Pionogurl, I have been using CPAP for the last two months. I have had pretty bad stomach cramps myself. There were nights when I woke up in the middle of the night with stomach pain and gas bloating in my stomach. Before using the CPAP I had to deal with just one problem and that was sleep. But now I had two problems to deal with and it was not acceptable to me. I had a full mask with pressure 9. The stomach bloating and excessive gas is attributed to CPAP, I am sure because I don't have the problem during the day. Based on my reading I came to an understading that the reasons could be one or all of the three below for stomach gas bloating.
1. I am either mouth breathing during my sleep.
2. I am sleeping in a position where the air passing to my lung is obstructed and goes right into my intestines.
3. Pressure setting could be high.

I need to fix the problem in order to sleep well. I strongly beleive that my gut is my second brain. If my stomach and intestines don't function right i can't focus on the stuff I want to do. I spoke to my doc about the problem. He asked the lab tech to reduce the pressure to 8 and that didn't work because I couldn't sleep well enough with 8. I said that I wanted to try nasal pillow with a chin strap intead of a full mask. Nasal pillow with the chin strap defintely helps to avoid mouth breathing. I also think humididity setting on your CPAP plays an important role with the gas bloating. I turned down the humidity setting from a 4 to a 2 and felt better. I have enough humidity in bedroom so I truned off the humidity on the CPAP and thet really worked. Try sleeping on a flat pillow (don't use contour pillow) with nasal pillow and CPAP humidity turned off and see if it works for you. Good luck

Dreamingofsleep

Post by Dreamingofsleep » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:01 am

Dear Sleepless,
Woah, please do your research on the efficacy of the dental device before you make your final decision. If I recall correctly, it does not do nearly as good a job at eliminating Apneas and Hypopneas. It may be right for you, but be sure to be fully informed.

Also, just an aside. From what I have learned, probiotics are very important in promoting health in the gastrointestinal system. I know someone who started taking them faithfully and eliminated her GERD. I am not a physician and don't guarantee this result, but I do know there has been a lot of research about the importance of a healthy GI tract

All the best to you, Sleepless and don't be a stranger

Dreaming

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:08 am

This is an old 2009 thread that you are responding to...I'm sure the posters are long gone.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:33 pm

When I was at about 3 months on cpap, I would sometimes get terrible stomach pains (especially) from sleeping on left side. I use a FF mask but mostly breathe through my nose. The doctor ended up turning the pressure down (I think about 2 notches). It hasn't happened since that time. The thing that I still get on occasion is the feeling of needing to 'belch'. I'm in my 7th month on cpap now.