Two Masks With Different Results

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jrfoster

Two Masks With Different Results

Post by jrfoster » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:02 pm

I am currenly using the Mirage Activa Nasal Mask because it has given me the best therapy. For the last 2 weeks my weekly AHI has been at 1.7 and 2.2, with leak rates being in the proper zone for the mask and pressure.
When I have used the Comfort Gel nasal mask (which takes up less space on the face!) my AHI for the week is always over 3 with the leak rate higher than it should be. All things being considered, why such poor results with the Comfort Gel?

Jeff

Julie

Re: Two Masks With Different Results

Post by Julie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Is it really a mystery that no two people have the same faces, that even the same one due to small weight changes, and that every mask is different on different people?

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:13 pm

Julie wrote:Is it really a mystery that no two people have the same faces, that even the same one due to small weight changes, and that every mask is different on different people?

So what you are saying is that the Comfort Gel mask is most likely not that adaptable to my facial features but the Mirage is?

Jeff

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:54 pm

Yep, you're getting more leaks w/the ComfortGel so you're getting a higher AHI due to the leak. Leaked therapy pressure is therapy lost.

That's not to say that if that ComfortGel is the type where you heat the gel, then cool it enough to fit to your face (obviously I am not familiar w/that particular mask) that you might not be able to get a better fit w/it and thus less leaks.

Its not how much facial surface a mask covers but how well the mask fits to your face.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:27 am

Slinky wrote:Yep, you're getting more leaks w/the ComfortGel so you're getting a higher AHI due to the leak. Leaked therapy pressure is therapy lost.

That's not to say that if that ComfortGel is the type where you heat the gel, then cool it enough to fit to your face (obviously I am not familiar w/that particular mask) that you might not be able to get a better fit w/it and thus less leaks.

Its not how much facial surface a mask covers but how well the mask fits to your face.
The funny thing is that I do not feel any leaks around the mask at all! I get a good seal with no noticeable leakage, but still the software says it is above what it should be. So, where is it leaking?

Fireguy24

Post by Fireguy24 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:05 am

I have the same problem but with the Ultra Mirage Full Face & the Mirage Liberty. The Liberty is more comfortable and my leaks are better than the Ultra, but my AHI are around 15. When I use the Ultra my AHI is .6 to 1.4. Not sure why. Feel like crap the next morning with both.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:10 pm

It can leak in different areas around the cushion (the softest silicone that touches your face), even in less than hairline spaces, while you're asleep and maybe moving just a bit, but enough to skew it so tiny bits of air come out. There is a mask that supposedly compensates for that, and it's called the Activa - check it out on Cpap.com.

OCNorsk

Post by OCNorsk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:38 pm

Have you tried the boiling water and fitting the Comfort Gel mask to your face? I have a Comfort Gel that I stopped using because I lost the directions for the fitting. I got another DVD with the directions but I haven't tried it yet.

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:46 pm

If you are using an AutoCPAP or CPAP with Efficacy Data, you have to take into consideration which machine you are using. Resmed has mask settings on their machine so you have to pair the mask with the mask setting to get an accurate reading. Respironics machines do not pair masks, but each mask has a different exhalation port value. If I use an Ultra Mirage nasal mask on a Resmed machine with the mask setting for the mask it gives an accurate readout. If I change and use some other mask that is not included in the mask menu settings, it looks like I have more hypopnea.

Take your readout with a grain of salt. If you are under 5 AHI without desaturated under 90 for a prolonged time you are normal. Don't sweat the numbers.

Ted

StillAnotherGuest

Long Time!

Post by StillAnotherGuest » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:59 am

Ted you ol' hound dog!! How ya been? You're lookin' great!

Are you fully "AASM 2008" compliant yet? I was so disappointed that they didn't loosen the 75 uv SWS rule to try to catch a few ol...

Oooops! I mean "mature" people.

I see you're still Admin. Can you give me "Magic Powers" for a few days? I want to look a few people up.

Thanks very much, good to see you again!

SAG

Aromatherapy may help CPAP compliance. Lavender, Mandarin, Chamomile, and Sweet Marjoram aid in relaxation and sleep. Nature's Gift has these and a blend of all four called SleepEase.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:36 pm

Given you are using a Respironics I'd guess the difference is in "lip flutter" leaks or more likely as Julie suggested one fits a skosh better than the other and thus doesn't allow quite so many minor leaks when you roll and/or change positions during the night.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:01 am

Hey SAG,

Yes, the hospital lab that I work for is AASM 09 compliant. Scoring N3 is still subjective. It depends on how the scoring tech see's it as well as how the doctor wants to interpenetrate the waves. Yes, "Mature" folks have less amplitude in N3, but the surprising factoid is that while men see a decrease in total N3, woman only slightly decrease with age.

All is well here, I have moved back to my home town in Tennessee and have enjoyed moving back to where are tree's and mountains. The doctor I work for is probably the most involved doctor I have seen yet. He calls in every night and goes over the physiology of each patient and what to look for in the study. He enjoys interacting with both patient's and techs. This is not all that common these days. I must say that the pay here in Tennessee dwarfs my last job, so I am coming out way ahead.

StillAnotherGuest

A Little Good News, A Little Bad News...

Post by StillAnotherGuest » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:23 am

That's great news Ted, sounds like everything has fallen into place quite well for you.

Although I heard that there's a few really scary ladies down there in Tennessee, so be careful when you're out at night.

Darn! Just missed a great photo op, got a big Red-Headed Woodpecker that comes to visit every morning, but he is so spooky! He keeps going around to the back of the tree so I can't get a good shot (yeah, I'd like to take a good shot all right. Here's that story...)

My house has cedar shakes, and periodically "developed" these quarter-sized holes in almost the precise place every time, 2 inches from the corner, 15 feet up, northern or southern exposure. I eventually figure out it's a woodpecker, so I spray, patch, replace, endless war. Then I try the "Live and Let Live" method (create alternative feeding zone with suet, special feeder, seed mix, etc.). And I must admit, it worked great! Unfortunately, now the problem has mushroomed into:

1. Every woodpecker on the planet now comes to SAG's for breakfast (the equivalent of "Waffle House" for birds);
2. I'm spending a fortune on bird food and suet, and of course, the price of that stuff just happened to double this year; and
3. God forbid, the feeders ever get empty, else the "SAGHouse" will be the "Swiss Cheese House" in about an hour.

Hmmm, I wonder if they make a suet with DeCon...

OW! OH!! OUCH!!! ONLY KIDDING!!! HERE TAKE MY WALLET, GO TO AGWAY, BUY WHATEVER YOU WANT!!

They must have that Alfred Hitchcock DVD.

SAG

Aromatherapy may help CPAP compliance. Lavender, Mandarin, Chamomile, and Sweet Marjoram aid in relaxation and sleep. Nature's Gift has these and a blend of all four called SleepEase.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:56 am

Sounds like you're doing real well Ted, that's wonderful. And you look great too!
Maybe you can go out when those scary ladies are resting...
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:35 am

Hi Ted.

Good to see you post again.

Best wishes,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05