CPAP Destruction and Disastrous Doc office visit.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepin'jax

Re: CPAP Destruction and Disastrous Doc office visit.

Post by Sleepin'jax » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:04 pm

jnk wrote:And THAT, boys and girls, is why ALL apneic major leaguers who are juicing need to keep their baseball equipment locked in another room while they sleep.
This is my first post here.......and you owe me a keyboard!!!!

plr66

Post by plr66 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Gosh, y'all. That original post just purely looks like another planted lead-in for another plug for a product by tinkerbell.......Too much of our collective wisdom seeming to be wasted on this thread.
IMHO of course.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

georgepds

Post by georgepds » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:20 pm

plr66 wrote:Gosh, y'all. That original post just purely looks like another planted lead-in for another plug for a product by tinkerbell.......Too much of our collective wisdom seeming to be wasted on this thread.
IMHO of course.
Who is tinkerbell and what is she selling?

ziggytosh

Post by ziggytosh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:28 pm

doubleg137 wrote:She told me it was not useful to wait around.... I cut her off and started yelling " I would try to explain my situation in simpler terms, but since I left my 'English to complete f**king moron' translation dictionary at home, I find myself at a loss."
Where do I sign up for your fan club?

plr66

Post by plr66 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:43 pm

georgepds wrote:
plr66 wrote:Gosh, y'all. That original post just purely looks like another planted lead-in for another plug for a product by tinkerbell.......Too much of our collective wisdom seeming to be wasted on this thread.
IMHO of course.
Who is tinkerbell and what is she selling?
Georgepds, if you're interested, just go back to read the whole thread. As I implied, my belief is that this thread needs to just be put to rest.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

ziggytosh

Post by ziggytosh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 pm

My favorite:
jnk wrote:The top 5 details likely left out of the original post:

4. He won that bat at an anger-management/baseball camp run by Lou Piniella.
I assumed it was a joke. I laughed. I think there's a little three-year-old in all of us when it comes to inanimate objects that won't do what their told.

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:48 am

mindy wrote:The clue is in the last sentence ... compared to what preceded it.

In previous thread he referred to 4 1/2 years without sleeping and in this one it's suddenly over 10 years......

Mindy
Mindy,

Actually that is a clue to the authenticity of the original post. In legal circles, a witness or defendant is asked to give his version of happenings multiple times on multiple occassions. If his testimony down to each detail is always the same, lying is suspected. A person lying is often striving to "stick to his story".

In truthful testimony humans are apt to get the details confused, maybe especially so if the person is suffering from improperly treated sleep apnea.

Regards,

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

mindy

Post by mindy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:53 am

rooster wrote: In truthful testimony humans are apt to get the details confused, maybe especially so if the person is suffering from improperly treated sleep apnea.

Regards,
Good point, Rooster!

No way to really know anyway and I suppose the idea is that if there's any chance it's for real, then it's best to treat it that way in case someone is in real need.

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

jda1000

Post by jda1000 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:24 pm

If the post is fiction, it's GOOD fiction, and therefore perhaps more true and revealing that mere factual events, reported.

I related to his anger instantly; learning CPAP has brought forth anger and resentment I thought disciplined out of me decades ago. I've had a very short fuse for a couple of weeks, and fortunately let fly only in private. I would never publicly confess flinging my mask against the wall - twice - or flipping my office chair across the room because my RT left a message where she spoke so fast six attempts were required to figure out her phone number.

Overall, I think if I went ten years, or four and a half, struggling with CPAP, it would be a tremendous struggle to prevent rage.

My doctors are good, but I am having to learn to treat them as a consulting team I both lead and manage - skills from my professional life that include managing the inevitable frustration of dealing with people.

I'm very fortunate - I have the background to understand and manage my treatment, and the insurance to pay for almost all of it. Remove those two gifts, and my frustration level would be huge.

On the other hand - those poor receptionists deserve an apology as public as the aggression. Even if the doctor needs replacing, the front office staff are rarely to blame for such things.
Machine: Resmed Autoset II
Humidifier: Resmed H4i
Mask: Mirage Ultra

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:55 pm

jda1000 wrote:....... Even if the doctor needs replacing, the front office staff are rarely to blame for such things.
Good point and they are often the victims of doctors poorly managing the practice. In any type of company I called on, if I found the frontline employees surly and/or incompetent, I was sure to find out later that the management was crummy. On the other hand pleasant competent frontline employees usually meant a good management team empowered and supported them.

doubleg137 needs to accept that they may be "f@#$%^&* morons" but that is all he has to work with.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Debjax

Post by Debjax » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:18 pm

wlenz wrote:There are a few people that lack self control and abuse those people trying to help them. I have been an EMT for over 20 years and on a few rare occasions, we get an out of control patient. There is a standard protocol used to handle these situations.
I worked on an ambulance before there were EMTs, CPR was about as advanced as it got. We had a standard procedure too, it did vary a bit based on how agitated the patient was. I had the pleasure of transporting a guy on PCP who had been in a knife fight at a bar over his wife cheating on him....when he woke up in the rig, he thought I was his wife and started to come after me. He broke my BRAND NEW leather restraints, and had it not been for the cuffs I had the cops put on him before I would transport, he might have made it. When he broke the restraints, I used our standard procedure for that type of patient.

Later, at the ER, the doctor asked me if we could please use a 5 cell wrapped in a pillowcase in the future if we needed to have a patient "he just lost conciousness in the rig on the way here doc ), since he was tired of cleaning the sand out of the head wounds from the sandbags we carried to use as head braces on backboards.....

I'm still hot....it just comes in flashes...
iMob Friend Code - 179-961-093

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:37 pm

I am wondering if he is a Vietnam vet with PTSD.
This still does not give him the right to treat people the way he is.

I wish the doctor's office would have called the police. They have plenty of witnesses.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

apost

Post by apost » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:05 pm

can you get a custom fit oral appliance? i found it less claustrophobic ,and after a few adjustments it doesn't leak at all no matter how much i toss

doubleg137

Post by doubleg137 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:04 pm

If you don't believe me, fine. I can live with that. Funny thing about sleep. We take it so for granted when its okay and restful, or when your machine is working. But finally reach the edge of your rope and lose your patience with an idiot who doesn't have the first clue about what you're going through because maybe they wake up feeling rested, and you're not to be believed or others are ready to incarcerate you. Being loud, rude and very insulting isn't a crime. If it were, I could probably put a list together of 200 people who deserve a stint in the pokey. I just happen to be very sarcastic from years of torture from older brothers. (two of whom thought smothering with a pillow is a proper way to wake a younger brother up). Add very uncommon frustration to an expert level of sarcasm and you have me yelling at a receptionist, and very loudly. Still not illegal. Rude, yes. Insulting, very. Getting you banned from a doctor's office, definitely. Still not the most insulting thing I could come up with though. I did show a bit of restraint.

I did apologize to the doctor's office staff, and to the receptionist. I did it with a note because I felt that showing up would be bad form, and told them that I would be going to a different primary care office.

I did have another question for everyone. I don't remember having any dreams for years, and when I did I only had some nightmares.

jules

Post by jules » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:09 pm

sounds like you might need to start with a new sleep study too - dreams are to return with properly treated apnea - remembering them might not happen - but you need to find a sleep doc who will analyze, get the correct diagnosis, get the right machine and more