Aussie Heated Hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:54 am

I receive my Aussie heated hose last week and I plugged it in and thought it did not work because I could not feel the warmness by touching the hose. I finally found out from several people on this board that the heated hose does not feel warm to the touch and that once you turn it on its wonderful. Friday night was my first night with it and I LOVE IT!!!!!! It is consistently warm all night long and no more "rainout" or burning in the nose for me. I also found that instead of having to warm the humidifier up for 15 or so minutes, the air gets warmer much quicker.

It was well worth the money to me and because someone recommended it, I got a power strip on Saturday to plug my machine and the hose adapter into and turn it on at night and off in the morning. That way I won't worry about it being on all day, as the adapter plug does get warm.

I am FINALLY a Happy Hosehead.

Judy

sleep less

heat hose

Post by sleep less » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:33 pm

why not use snuggle hose (fleece material cover) that comes in any color. That may be safer. Can be bought 30.00

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:44 pm

why not use snuggle hose
'Cause the Aussie heated hose is the surest way to prevent rainout. Hose covers work ok for some conditions - but for near absolute prevention of rainout, especially if a person likes the bedroom quite cool and the heated humidifier cranked up, the Aussie heated hose can't be beat, imho.

wading thru the muck!

Re: heat hose

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:48 pm

sleep less wrote:why not use snuggle hose (fleece material cover) that comes in any color. That may be safer. Can be bought 30.00
You get what you pay for...

Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

heretolearn

Post by heretolearn » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:10 pm

Wader is soooooo right!. I went through the "cover" stage. Tried flannel, fleece and lambswool. Still would get the nightly sprinkling up my nose! Only until I got an Aussie hose, did this i solve my rainout problem.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:39 am

Check you power supplys before ordering the piggyback version.

Mine (in Isreal, 12v, 2 amp) was getting rather hot in the morning, and I was in contact with Don Fischer of Sleepzone in Australia.

I am quoting his answer with his permisssion:
Don Fischer wrote: We now understand and this makes a difference .

Check the CPAP compliance plate or power consumption in the manual for your CPAP .. for eg the Australian model operates at 240V at 13v @ 1.5 amp

The switchmode transformer supplied is rated 3.5Amps @ 12v so if you add the rating of 1 amp for the heated tube and 1.5 amp for the cpap the total 2.5amps does not overate the transformer ... in your case your advice is that only a 2 amp transformer is supplied . You would be close to overating the transformer therefore the heat ... we have not had this problem B4 even from the USA but we will check the USA transformer rating .

You may in your case be better purchasing a separate 12v 1 amp or higher rating switchmode transformer for your CPAP
My emphasis.

Thank you, WillSucceed for bringing up the subject, and NEV for pointing out the power supply info - you got me to check mine - too late for the order, but that's ok....
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

powerless

Post by powerless » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:02 am

glassgal,
Did the new power supply you purchased operate both the 420E AND the heated hose from the single power source, or did you use the second power supply for the hose, leaving the 420 on it's own supply? This is what I am currently doing, which means I am not benefitting at all from the "piggyback"
If the new power supply is running both peices of equipment through the piggyback plugs, can you please post more info about the model, etc.
Is it lighter weight than the radio shack power supply - that thing is so heavy it falls out of my wall socket, so I have to plug it into a power strip, and turn the power strip on it's side so the power supply lies on the floor.