How has cpap helped your health, and in what amount of time?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
airhead

How has cpap helped your health, and in what amount of time?

Post by airhead » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:32 am

9 weeks and I actually look foward to "hooking" up. No longer sensitive to bright sunlight, and dont get tired after eating a big meal. Lost a few pounds. Wake up and actually feel somewhat rested. Does the progress continue? I actually was disappointed more great things didn't happen early on. I realize now that after more than 30 years of BAD sleep, and low oxygen sat. levels {most probably) and perhaps a thousand mini strokes....yep thats what a long interuppted breath becomes many times....It might take some more time before I can pitch for the Yankees...Replys welcome. Thanks in advance! Pleasant dreams.
feeling stronger everyday...."Chicago"

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:26 pm

Hi Airhead,

I used to get colds all the time and the worst of it is getting strep throat every year. Knock on wood, but I don't get colds or strep any more.

The healing time for me was 1 year. I know that sounds like a long time, but it really isn't. I can't tell you how many years I had untreated sleep apnea.

Cheers,

Ted

AirHog

Post by AirHog » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:25 pm

Hey Airhead, I've been on the pump for only five nites so far and heres what I got:

More energy overall.
Easier wake ups.
Eyes feel and look much better. (bags have shrunk)
Somewhat less irritable but I still get chapped pretty easy.
Evenings are much better now, I don't have that zombie feeling after 6pm.
My heart doesn't ache in the morning anymore.
Erections are much better now.
I have more energy to pick on and tease my wife. ( this may not be such a good thing)

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:36 pm

I'll ditto all the improvements listed so far (for me it's been four weeks) . As far as "more great things" I think it will take more than just cpap. Years of untreated apnea wears you down and leaves you quite out of shape. My hope is that now I will have the energy it takes to work at getting my youth back. I know that's a tall order, but so far so good.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Dani

your health

Post by Dani » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:51 am

Airhead,
Give it a little more time. However, it could be that the pressure is not high enough and you are getting some, but not the full benefits you should be getting. I had this problem and asked for another sleep test. If enough time has passed, your insurance should pay for it. I almost felt like my body got used to the initial pressure after a short time and my obstructions were able to return in spite of the CPAP. After my second study they upped the pressure considerbly. I still had problems and had it
upped a third time. They took my word from the symptoms I described and went ahead and upped it without my having to have a third sleep study.
What all of their fancy machines tell them you should have is not always right and you know your body better than they do, so keep at it so it's not just suppose to be right, but that it 'feels' right.
Dani

airhead

Thanks Dani

Post by airhead » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:56 pm

I will consider the higher pressure angle,

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:27 am

Excellent points, Dani. Bottom line really is how we feel.

Even with all the equipment at a sleep study, it's a one night snapshot in a strange sleeping environment. All the more reason, imho, to use an autopap machine unless a person absolutely has to have another type of machine.

davidtwotrees

Post by davidtwotrees » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:37 am

I am in my 6 or 7th week, , and have had very little if any improvement. At first I was exhausted from not sleeping at all, and then gradually got used to the apparatus. Now I am back to where I was when I started. Sigh. Saw sleepdoc and he says to hang in there. He lowered my pressure. I do wish I had an auto pap to see if this is working like it's suppopsed to. A dental prosthesis was mentioned and that sounds attractive.
I had such high hopes for a "cure", and now am back to the "whatever" stage.
In giving we receive threefold in return.

airhead

Dani + All

Post by airhead » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:43 pm

The auto cpap makes great sense. Its surprising they make any other types......Does it have any faults? On another topic sort of....Does anyone else seem to be getting nasty, and quick tempered with the ones your closest to? I think Im totally pissed that this problem wasent figured out 30 years ago, and I wasted a lot of my potential....Im not the depressed type. Suddenly if I had to guess what depression is...Id say its how I fell now...or since cpap has helped me become stronger...Wierd but true.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:41 pm

Hi Airhead,

About the Auto-pap, you've said exactly what I've thought. Why aren't they all auto-paps.

My guess is the anger you are feeling is a stage in your emotional adjustment to your sleep apnea.

Four stages of emotional adjustment:

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Acceptance
4. Forgiveness

It's part of the healing process. Keep that in mind and know it's part of getting better.
Sincerely,

airhead

THANKS 4 WADING THRU THE MUCK

Post by airhead » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:18 pm

4 STAGES OF EMOTIONAL ADJUSTMENT.....YOUR PROBABLY RIGHT....BUT IM GONNA GOE THROUGH MY 4 LEVELS OF PISSED FIRST. THE MORE PEOPLE TELL ME I LOOK SO WELL RESTED ETC, THE MORE PISSED I GET. A SMARTER MAN THAN ME ONCE SAID ......THIS TO SHALL PASS.... ACTUALLY FEELING OK TODAY. A FRIEND OF MINE SAID THE WHITES OF MY EYES ARE WHITE...I SAID I HOPED THEY WERE!!! SHE SAID SHE THOUGHT I SMOKED A LOT OF WEED....I DONT...BUT MIGHT START REAL SOON...LOL...10TH WEEK. THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING TO PUT IN THE HEATED HUMIDIFIER TO HELP A STUFFY NOSE....ANYONE//????

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:40 pm

Airhead,

I guess what I'm saying is it's OK to be "Pissed". It will help you to eventually feel better. So go ahead and feel that way as long as you need.

Funny what you say about the whites of your eyes. Just today I was on my computer looking at a picture of me my daughter took before I got my cpap. Boy! RED eyes! I never knew. Not a "weed" smoker either.

My Doc gives me samples of Nasonex nasal spray for when my sinuses are plugged up. The high blood pressure meds I take constrict my sinuses and if I get a cold I have trouble getting rid of it. The Nasonex helps!
Sincerely,

Lavendel

Post by Lavendel » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:08 pm

My CPAP has been nothing less than a miracle for me! I have been tired all my life, hence my nickname, Iron Poor. I can relate to the person who feels cheated & mad that this wasn't discovered long ago. I've spent my whole life listening to people ask me what's wrong with me & why I was always so tired. My mother yelled at me for years because I constantly yawned. My husband about moved out of our bedroom because of my snoring. (He listened to it for 24 years, bless his heart!) It was my wise daughter; who got stuck with me in the same hotel room last summer & spent a sleepless night herself listening to me snort & stop breathing all night; who told me something WAS wrong....not with ME, but my breathing. She said I quit breathing all night. My symptoms improved immediately once I was on the CPAP machine, although I did go through a plateau period & I seemed to be going back into extreme tiredness after a few weeks when I started on the CPAP, but my wonderful dr. assured me this was normal & I would continue to improve as my body adapted to finally getting enough rest & to the machine. I've been on the CPAP for a year now & I LOVE it! I am no longer tired during the day, in fact I rarely ever feel tired anymore! That fuzzy, clouded feeling I always has is gone. The headaches in the morning & during the day are gone. I have the energy to exercise & chase after a three year old...I just feel alive for the first time in my life & I just turned 47. I haven't been to the dr. or been sick since I started the CPAP & before I was prone to colds, strep, pneumonia, aches & pains. I do have joint disease which has even improved some I believe due to the fact my body can now rest & restore itself. I am much more pleasant to be around since I'm not exhausted all the time.

Lana

Post by Lana » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:46 pm

Different preassure settings, number of years prior to treatment with cpap, backgrounds, health problems, but somehow we all go through the same cycle of events once we get on with cpap equipment. One thing I'll never forget, is that initial overall well-being feeling just after 3 nights of breathing with mask. It was like somebody lifted heavy metal blinds infront of my eyes. Now in my 3rd month on cpap, I no longer have that feeling and I'm sure longing for it:) Yes, I was angry at times that it took me so long to figure out that I have a serious health problem, but no one is to blame but me for not speaking sooner to my MD. I still get antsy and frustrated with new imposed ritual of setting equipment prior to going to bed and not being able to cudle in with my husband during the night (he warms up my cold feet beautifly) and honestly I'm hoping for a miracle, some kind of overnight cure so I can be "normal" like people without sleep apnea problem.
Sometimes, all I need is the air that I breathe!

Freddie

Ok not great

Post by Freddie » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:42 am

I have been on CPAP about 3.5 months now. I feel better and definately would not give it up. However, I don't feel great and I am disappointed about that. Previously, it was a struggle to stay awake anywhere and anytime. Now it is not a struggle to stay awake but I am still generally tired. Previously if I sat on the couch reading or watching TV, I was out in seconds and could not stop it. Now, if I sit down to read or watch TV, I can stay awake, but I am still generally tired and if I accept a nap I am out in seconds. The general tired overall feeling is what I really want to shake and I'm disappointed it has not happened yet if ever. Hopefully at some point I can feel as great as all of you!