Allergy to CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Re: Allergy to CPAP machine

Post by archangle » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Welcome to our site, DLH.

Please sign up for an ID on this site, and list your equipment in your profile. See the link below.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

wolewyck

Post by wolewyck » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I haven't had this problem, but maybe here are a couple ideas:

1. If your filter isn't the "hypoallergenic" kind, try to get that instead of the regular filter-- if your manufacturer makes a hypoallergeni filter, anyway (some don't).

2. Maybe consider adding an in-line filter to your setup, something like these:
http://www.directhomemedical.com/1-H160 ... lters.html
http://www.medicaldepartmentstore.com/C ... p/1605.htm
http://www.cpapfiltersandsupplies.com/d ... &path=2_39

And, of course, you could ask your sleep doctor, or even an allergist.

Good luck...

DLH

Post by DLH » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Thanks for the the advice. I turned my humidity to max (6 on my machine) and had a much better night with no crazy sinus stuff today. It was definitely the lack of humidity irritating my sinuses. I will look into one of the filters as well because during grass season that would be 8 hours when I am not breathing any pollen.

EFFKAY

Post by EFFKAY » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:36 pm

You think you've got problems!!! Now when I use my CPAP, not only do I spend the day with sever rhinitis, during the night my wife wakes up sneezing and sniffling! As soon as she moves to another room to sleep (usually 2:00 in the morning), all the sneezing and sniffling STOPS! Anyone got any brilliant ideas?

Gaga58

Post by Gaga58 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:21 am

I've been trying to read through all these posts as I am now where the original poster is...I am absolutely miserable this morning, so clogged I can hardly breath, yet sneezing, itchy watery eyes and nose. I've been doing this now for going on 3 weeks and each day seems like my symptons are getting worse. I know this is cpap related, just exactly how though, I can't figure out, or worse how to fix it. I've almost determined it has more to do with the cool air keep me clear while masked (yes, so far I'm breathing fine and open with the mask on) and then upon taking it off I'm being hit with warm room air!

I've tried the whole shebang...going up slowly with humidity...going down slowly with humidity. Claritin D, pseudofed, neti pot, tylenol sinus, ect. ect. The only thing I haven't tried so far is no humidity, but after sleeping with a setting of 1 last night and how my symptoms are this morning, I don't think that's going to work either! I'm getting ready to head home from work right now and call the doctor becuase I can't quit sneezing or blowing!

Suggestions are most welcome!!

SleepingBearDoNtWake

Post by SleepingBearDoNtWake » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 pm

I don't think that I can really add any info to what everyone has already commented on, but I agree with Wolewyck about trying the hypoallergenic filters which I just bought last week from cpap.com. It looks like most of the filters from cpap.com are made by them and not the machine manufacture. The ones I got, looked just like the ones I would get from Resmed.
The inline hepa filter may also be something to try. I think they are only a few dollars and it couldn't hurt. I have read though that it might not be good to use with a humidifier because of the moister build up, but I probably would try it both ways, just to see if you can rule out the quality of the air.
I wish I could be more helpful. Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

jjk308

Post by jjk308 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:45 am

I got the same problems when the distilled water I was using switched to reverse osmosis ozonated "distilled" water. Apparently the ozone really bothers me, irritates my nasal passages, makes my nose run and turns my eyes red. Even tap water is less annoying.
Now I use only steam distilled water, available at Target, and have no problems.

cray19

Post by cray19 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:06 pm

I have been waking up mornings with my face swollen in the areas where my mask are, especially around my mouth. Some mornings it looks as though I have jowls like a bulldog it is so bad. I'm wondering if any has had this problem and has it been possibly diagnosed as a latex allergy? I have been to see the doctor when it has happened but she just simply says I'm allergic to something. I have even woke with a swollen tongue. I am currently taking Zyrtec and predisone which is keeping it at bay, but I am wondering if anyone has had these symptoms and actually been diagnosed with something.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:15 pm

You're very likely allergic to latex - it's common - and should look into either a mask that uses a silicone cushion instead or else use one of the Pad-a-cheek 'liners' a lot of others use... do a forum search (or Google) for the name and check the website (the woman who makes them is a ''papper' herself.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Latex is unlikely to be in any cpap equipment sold today--unless it is VERY old.
Common allergens may be cleaners or packing materials used on mask parts.
A very good idea would be to clean and rinse thoroughly before using.
Silicone allergy would be very unusual--but not impossible.
Doctor may be able to determine if a silicone allergy is responsible.
Pad a cheek mask liners may be in order; or a sleepweaver (all cloth) mask.
Good luck!

macewa

Post by macewa » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 pm

I had the same problems when I first started using my BiPap, plus my nose burned if I breathed. I think the problems were a combination of allergies, dryness, and high air pressures. I had to stop using my BiPap until I could finally breath again without the burning. Nothing helped. Realising nothing was working I stopped taking all allergy meds. I have been taking allergy shots (2 each week) and have been for close to six months and am already seeing some results from that and that helps me now. I also use the humidifier on highest setting most of the time. I was told not to use soap for cleaning, but vinegar. So, everything is cleaned with vinegar and distilled water. Most of my problems with the runny nose were on one side and I finally had to stop it up with kleenex and that also kept me from breathing through that side of my nose and it finally healed. Not sure why, but now, I'm not having those problems. Other problems, but not those.

Talking about odors -- I had an out of town guest and we were cooking up a bunch of food and decided to let the chicken cook over night in a crock pot. Well, the odors from that, got into my mask and my lungs (my bedroom is next to the kitchen and the door was open). It was awful. I coughed for a couple of days afterwards. I learned no cooking at night when I'm sleeping anymore. Who would have thought?
chander wrote:I change filters. I keep the machine 3 ft above ground. I am not allergic to latex. I am told there is no silicon in the masks. I have done everything including shouting on DME to get me out of this misery. Right now, my nose is running all over when sending this e-mail.

bartinstine

Post by bartinstine » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:37 am

jjk308 wrote:I got the same problems when the distilled water I was using switched to reverse osmosis ozonated "distilled" water. Apparently the ozone really bothers me, irritates my nasal passages, makes my nose run and turns my eyes red. Even tap water is less annoying.
Now I use only steam distilled water, available at Target, and have no problems.
Greetings everyone. I'm new to the forum but not to the planet, in fact I'm rather old.

I have been trying to use PAP for almost 2 years but have been mostly unsuccessful. I started out with a BiPAP machine then went to a CPAP and now have an APAP. Of all of them, I do the best with the APAP but I still am unable to go a full week using the machine every night. If I skip about a month, then start using the machine, I get through about 3 days with good success and then start the problems outlined in this thread. The sneezing, running nose and even coughing while using the machine.

I was instructed to use distilled water from the beginning and did for the most part. I tried using reverse osmosis purified water for a short time but didn't see any difference. I've tried different ways of cleaning the machine, using 7th generation soap and vinegar, most of the methods talked about in this thread but the problem remained no matter what I did.

I saw the quoted post from jjk308 and looked at the bottle of distilled water I had. Sure enough, it said "Processed by: Steam Distillation, Microfiltration, Ozonation". I went and got a bottle of distilled water that only says "Processed by: Steam Distillation" on it and though it's only been a few days, the running nose stopped completely.

I am also going to look at the SleepWeaver mask suggested by chunkyfrog.

Maybe I'll get this thing to work yet!

My machine is a Philips Resppironics REMstar Auto with the REMstar Heated Humidifier. I have a ResMed Quatro and Swift LT masks. I switch between masks every time I try the machine as I become annoyed with both of them.

Last edited by bartinstine on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I'm sad I just sing, and then I realize my voice is worse than my problems.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:47 am

Someone recommended Zicam to me last week. They said it comes in a topical form on something like a q tip which can be used within the nostrils.

Gaga58

Post by Gaga58 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:03 am

Thanks to Pugsy sending me the link I've read the updates on here...just checked MY bottle of distilled water and sure enough it says the same thing! I hope Target isn't the only place to buy just steamed distilled water as we don't have one here in our area, but will check Walmart today to see what I can get. My nose problems (started in Oct) continued to the point I ended up with a really bad sinus infection that's been treated with 2 rounds of antibiotics...I'm just now finishing up my second round. I was already dreading the middle of next week, since it was about that time frame the stuff started in again...once the antibiotic were out of my system. My sneezing/dripping fits were terrible and the this last round I seriously sneezed so much and so hard I had sore stomach and rib muscles for three days afterward! All that excess fluid managed to find it's way into my ears and now I'm back to hearing loss again. My ENT says I will probably have to have tubes put in now. Even though the meds have dried up the fluid my ear drums are still retracted...so much for my $40,000 ear surgery two years ago!!

I hope beyond hope that changing the water will seriously help as this is beyond annoying...it totally wipes me out when I have a spell!! Thanks for the info!! I'll let you know if it works for me!!

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:25 am

Try getting an allergy test, here in the uk you can go and get tested for almost anything, at least one way or another you will know exactly whats causing your reactions. Im sure there are companies out there that cater for people who suffer.