Allergy to CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eew

Re: Allergy to CPAP machine

Post by eew » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:20 am

I've read all of the comments with interest. I started using CPAP in 2/08. It occured to me that if I ever had a bad flu or cold I would need a back up of sorts. So I ordered a Aveo TSD and threw it in a drawer. I was determined to use my CPAP as I understood how dangerous it is to be without oxygen and my heart and adrelin being kicked up every few minutes and no REM sleep. I felt so much better. In Dec 08 I developed allergies. They got severe. I couldn't figure out why. A box of tissue a day for 3 months. I didn't connect it with the CPAP. Finally the connection hit me. Air being pushed through your respitory track could reasonable cause drying out and who knows what else. I then read my CPAP book and it said things that could go wrong: allergies! I went into my HMO and saw the tech. I am at a loss as to how you can have a pretty major issue and the HMO staff look at you like they don't know what your talking about. Allergies? maybe you would like to try a biger mask? That's how the conversation went. What do I know. I'm not trained in this area. I accept the new mask. No other questions where asked. When I think about it it's like being in the twilight zone with trained staff who look at you blank. I did have the forethought to bring in my AVEO TSD to get tested on it and was told after a night at home with my finger in a testing machine that my sleep apnea was caused by my tongue blocking my throat and that the test I took on the AVEO TSD showed I had no sleep apnea with it. Good news I thought. I have a back up with the AVEO TSD. I used my new mask and low and behold the allergies went away. I did notice though that my eyes burned in the morning but getting rest felt good so I continued to use my CPAP knowing I had my AVEO TSD as back up. I thought the CPAP was a superior tool for this breathing problem called sleep apnea. As I write this blog, I regret I didn't take the hint from my body that the use of the CPAP was not for me. I have developed for 8 weeks now, eustacian tube dysfunction and the HMO Drs look at me like its no big deal and oh by the way you have allergies. This is more than allergies. I have white gunk in my throat, my throat feels like a razor blade has been pulled over it and my ears burn and hurt and my glands ache constantly. When I described to the first Dr that the glands in the front and back of my neck ache, instead of listening to my systoms she advised me pretty curtly that I don't have glands in the back of my neck. I said ok, something hurts back there and it travels all the way up the back of my head. I feel sick. I've seen 3 Drs and the last one at least told me what I have...allergies and eustcian tube dysfuntion. This is not mild allergies. I am sick and not getting better. I regret ever having used a CPAP machine and not questioning its use as opposed to other things. I hope I get better but it doesn't look like it will be soon. I've been on every allergy pill and flonase and gargles in the last 8 weeks. My body is over producing mucus due to the CPAP use for 18 months. I hope its use hasn't ruined my respritory track. If I had to do it over again I would never accept blankly to use a machine that has such far reaching consequences. I have to go to work and conduct my life now with burning ears, pain, raw throat and Drs who won't even look at my CPAP machine book where is states: problems with CPAP, mucus production, allergies, ear pain etc. I wish there was more thought and follow up for patients who have a HMO on how they are doing and to nip problems that are developing in the bud before it ruins your health. Anyway, anyone who is new to CPAP, in my humble opinion, look at othter options. CPAP affects your entire respitory track and there are other options. Wish me luck on getting better. I'm pretty upset at the poor follow up and concern Drs have for their patients. We are just numbers to alot of them. By the way, my AVEO TSD is simple but it works and I wish I had used it from the beginning. Sometimes simple is better.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 am

The problem when reading a post from someone like "eew" (who sounds like he/she is doing a commercial for the AVEO TSD) is that there are too many UNKNOWNS. They seem to blame their condition on the therapy (including the doctors and HMO staff) and not their own actions or in-actions. "Stupid is as stupid does."

You have to ask yourself......

IS THIS STORY FOR REAL??? (or a commercial for a product?)

Unfortunately, they left our just a few details to make it a credible story or that they have any intelligence.

Like:

Was this a "new" machine when he/she started therapy?

What kind of environment do they live in? (Inside/Outside, etc.)

Were they cleaning their filters, hoses, etc.? (and, with what?)

Were they replacing their filters, hoses, etc.?

How and with what were they cleaning their mask?

Were they using a humidifier?

Were they using distilled water?

What specific machine were they using?

What specific mask were they using? (if you're mouth-breathing/leaking with a nasal mask, you're not getting good therapy anyway)

What was their general health condition to begin with?

Do they have any other health conditions that would be suspect?

Also note that it's a "guest" post and they make no mention of where they live.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:58 am

Wulfman wrote:IS THIS STORY FOR REAL??? (or a commercial for a product?)
Being the skeptic that I am... I tend to think that the spammers have gotten more elaborate with their attempts to sneak their products below the spam radar. I don't believe this one any more than I believed that there was a grumpy grandpa taking pills to cure his sleep apnea.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:10 am

Allergies are a problem in that a lot of docs reject their validity, however when it comes to the choice of stuffed sinuses versus a stroke I will take the allergies any day. I see what the little strokes are doing to my mother and faithfully hook up.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

pamela mansfield

Post by pamela mansfield » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Have you tried switching to plain tap water? I had headaches and runny nose when I used distilled water. I accidentally discovered this when I found myself away from home unexpectedly overnight without distilled water. The symptoms disappeared. I haven't used distilled water for four weeks now - and have been four weeks symptom free. I've looked on the internet for allergies to distilled water, but come up with nothing. My CPAP is a ResMed Escape II. This helped me - maybe it will help you. Good luck.

eew

Post by eew » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:20 am

My apologies for not reporting back sooner. I've read some of the posts for the first time since I wrote in 2009. Update: after much suffering and being told I had allergies I finally found a Dr. who was able to diagnois my white stuff in the throat and horrible pain throughout the head. It was a frustrating process finding a Dr. who could diagnois. It turned out to be "silent acid reflux" or Larygopharyngeal Reflux (LPR). I was surprised to see how my post made people think I was stupid. I was and am someone who suffers with a serious problem with sleep apnea and merely thought it was the CPAP causing my problem. No I assure you I am not pushing AVEO TSD. I now use it just because it is easier for me instead of hooking up and unhooking at night to use the bathroom and disturbing my husband. I realize now that it wasn't the CPAP machine causing my horrible allergies and pain throughout the head. When I wrote the first blog I was desperate for help with what I had and I see now it was easy to blame the CPAP. My sister now uses the AVEO TSD and we both have severe apnea. I've been tested twice on it at my HMO. The technician who tested me advised me that I was lucky and found something (AVEO TSD; nurses along the way when I go in for surgery have asked me where I got it as they want to use it) that works for me as my apnea is probably caused by the tongue falling backward into the throat. I don't have sleep apnea with the AVEO TSD. Anyway, just thought I'd write as I needed to let you all know what happened. I am from California, retired, a mother of two and grandmother of two and well educated. I'm just a regular person who has had several major things hit me within the same year. Severe sleep apnea and LPR. eew

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:58 am

My sneezing stopped when I switched from my swift FX pillows to a full face mask.
Maybe it was the concentrated pressure through the nasal passages that dried them out.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Mainly repeating many of the same ideas. But here are my two cents.

Change the filters more frequently and make sure the fine filter is in correctly.

Clean the humidifier with a 1 part white distilled vinegar to 10 parts water solution rather than soaps or detergents. It rinses better, leaves no residue, and provides a small amount of disinfecting. When you clean the tub, give it a chance to AIR DRY thoroughly before refilling it.

Clean the humidifier regularly---don't just top off the water at night with new distilled water. (You are using distilled H2O in the humidifier, aren't you?) While it might not be necessary to clean it every day, when there's not enough water to get through the next night without topping it off, it's time to clean the humidifier tub.

Make sure there is NO fragrance in what you are using to clean the mask/pillows and hoses. And no dyes either. If the smell of a 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water solution doesn't bother you too much, you might want to switch to that for cleaning the mask parts. It rinses better than soaps or detergents and has no chemical dyes or fragrances added to it.

If you haven't cleaned the hose in a while, you might want to clean it. If you don't regularly disconnect the hose from the machine during the day and hang the hose, you might want to start doing that----particularly if you have any problems at all with rainout or even the slightest hint of rainout. You don't want to provide a (hidden) place for mold or mildew to start to grow---and if the inside of the hose is always damp, well, there's a potential breeding ground for mold or mildew.

Use a saline nasal spray or a neti pot to help clean the nasal passages (as well as soothe them) before bedtime. You can also use the saline nasal spray as often as you want during the day to help soothe the over dry nasal passages. Use it in conjunction with any prescribed steroid nasal sprays the doctor has you on. Do NOT use OTC antihistamine based nasal sprays or you WILL trigger rebound congestion in a matter of THREE days (or less).

Dust, sweep, and vacuum the bedroom and area around the CPAP on a regular basis. Try to use FRAGRANCE FREE cleaning products for dusting.

sister

Post by sister » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi,
I have had the same problems for almost a year now since I started c-pap.I have been so careful to keep everything extremely clean and if you'll read some of my past posts you will find that I tried everything anybody here recommended.

When I thought I was going to lose my mind,I went to my allergist(I was already getting allergy shots),and insisted that he do a new allergy workup.
I didn't know anything else to do as I had tried everything.

As it turned out I had developed new allergies to cats dogs and mold!
I was then put on new allergy shots along with the ones I was already getting,and I am slowly getting better. This week has been the first week in many months that I have not been totally miserable!
It's like having a cold 12 months a year!
I wish all of you the best of luck and hope you feel better real soon!

AnnHope

Post by AnnHope » Sun May 29, 2011 8:32 am

I have never had allergies before and now that I have been on the CPAP Machine for about a month, I am having horrible sneezing attacks and cold like symptoms. I clean every part daily and clean the filter. Rinse them well and also use distilled water. I have the Nasal Cushion with the straps. I can't stand this much longer. The doctor told me I have severe sleep apnea but I am to the point where I feel as if I would be better off risking the sleep apnea than sneezing over and over until I feel as if I am going to die anyway. Does anyone have a suggestion or know anything that would help. I can't take allergy medicine because of extreme hypertension and I am not heavy so that is not the reason I am havy the sleep apnea.
I wonder what people did before these machines were invented. I don't remember people dying in their sleep during my life. Most of them had heart attacks,strokes or cancer so I wonder exactly how many people have been saved with these machines.
If anyone has a solution I would appreciate it.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun May 29, 2011 8:39 am

AnnHope wrote:I have never had allergies before and now that I have been on the CPAP Machine for about a month, I am having horrible sneezing attacks and cold like symptoms. I clean every part daily and clean the filter. Rinse them well and also use distilled water. I have the Nasal Cushion with the straps. I can't stand this much longer.
Try a full face mask like the quatro that doesn't push the air past your nasal passages. And watch out that you don't use soaps to clean your mask - it could be the cleaning chemicals you are reacting too.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Sun May 29, 2011 9:00 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wulfman wrote:IS THIS STORY FOR REAL??? (or a commercial for a product?)
Being the skeptic that I am... I tend to think that the spammers have gotten more elaborate with their attempts to sneak their products below the spam radar. I don't believe this one any more than I believed that there was a grumpy grandpa taking pills to cure his sleep apnea.
I'd have to agree with you and Wolfman, Pugsy. While the post is right on the edge of the spam/ham line, there are a couple of things that lead me to believe it's spam:

1 - dredged up from the depths of the past
2 - horrific grammar and line break structure (nearly always caused by massive cut and paste scripts)
3 - guest post with no ID information

Trash it!

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 am

are you using your humidifier?

DLH

Post by DLH » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:58 pm

I just started using a CPAP machine yesterday (ResMed S9) with the small mask that covers my nose only and today my sinuses are running like crazy. I used distilled water and set the machine to 4 out of 6 on the humidity level. I placed it on a clean table next to the bed about 3 feet off of the floor. I am not allergic to latex or anything else besides grass pollen.

Nothing else has changed in my environment that would lead to sudden allergy-like symptoms other than the CPAP machine. There is no way my filters could be dirty because this is a brand new machine and mask just out of the box. I do not take allergy medication or nasal sprays, although I do get an allergy shot once a week for grass allergies. This shot does not produce any nasal symptoms and my last one was 4 days ago.

Any advice?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:20 pm

DLH wrote:I just started using a CPAP machine yesterday (ResMed S9) with the small mask that covers my nose only and today my sinuses are running like crazy. I used distilled water and set the machine to 4 out of 6 on the humidity level. I placed it on a clean table next to the bed about 3 feet off of the floor. I am not allergic to latex or anything else besides grass pollen.

Nothing else has changed in my environment that would lead to sudden allergy-like symptoms other than the CPAP machine. There is no way my filters could be dirty because this is a brand new machine and mask just out of the box. I do not take allergy medication or nasal sprays, although I do get an allergy shot once a week for grass allergies. This shot does not produce any nasal symptoms and my last one was 4 days ago.

Any advice?
Play with your humidifier settings - some like it wet, some not. Also make sure you have washed the mask thoroughly to remove and residues with unscented soap an rinsed it well.